BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 BMW 535i that was purchased in2007. On the jb+ website it says 2008+ model ecu would need to purchase the CAN tool. Since my car was bought in 2007 is it possible it's using the old ecu. And also if I am keeping the jb+ at factory default and I have a 2008 ecu would it detect any codes?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have a 2008 BMW 535i that was purchased in2007. On the jb+ website it says 2008+ model ecu would need to purchase the CAN tool. Since my car was bought in 2007 is it possible it's using the old ecu. And also if I am keeping the jb+ at factory default and I have a 2008 ecu would it detect any codes?
The CAN tools beingmentioned is used to clear faults that stored in DME, I think if you buy any good diagnostic tools that can clear code, you are good. Clearing code only when you are planning to take it to dealer for waranty work as precautions else you don't need any tools to run piggyback mod.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would follow the model year and not the purchase year. BMW is producing 2012 w's starting in April 2011. BMW is good at not releasing things they say when the new MY Is release. Usually it is electronics so you should call them to make sure. They should be able to give you a answer based on production date

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would follow the model year and not the purchase year. BMW is producing 2012 w's starting in April 2011. BMW is good at not releasing things they say when the new MY Is release. Usually it is electronics so you should call them to make sure. They should be able to give you a answer based on production date
problem with his install over on bimmerforum...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did have a problem after it was installed....it threw a check engine light code p0301 which is a misfire in cylinder 1......ordered the bt tool so waiting on that before i take it to the dealer

As for the installation it is way more challenging than a 3 series....but it is still do able on your own....gotta remove the airbox for sure....takes about 20 mins the first time....took 10 mins to remove the JB+ after the check engine light came on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.