BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read most of the various posts on here about the BMS JB1 stage 1 tune for the N63. I had a few questions, just to make sure I understand what I'm getting into:

• This almost seems too good to be true when compared to Dinan's $3k option. Any major downsides?
  • The harness looks incredibly easy to install. Basically, install the harness in between the two existing TMAP sensors and tuck the brain box up by the brake booster. Correct?
  • If I remove the harness (which, again, looks fairly trivial) is there any trace of the fact I had it installed? Specifically for warranty purposes.
Also, I've read that BMS is in the middle of releasing a stage 2 tune, but I'm not sure if that will be a software upgrade or if I'll have to buy a whole new harness. Anyone have definitive info about this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
At this time no Stage2 is planned. We may develop one at some point in the future, but it would connect to the Stage1 box. So you'd need the Stage1 anyway.

The tune itself is very easy to install & remove. It does not trigger any warranty faults on its own but it's never a bad idea to add on the Bavarian Technic cable as a companion tool which allows not only DME but full vehicle diagnostics. Including scanning for hidden codes before going in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would for sure buy one. Would love to get closer to m5 power. Especially if you have upgraded your exhaust springs and everything else. Still would love to see the stage 1 on a Dyno and see what it's putting out and if there was a safe way to bump up psi on the turbos

·
Chilling
975 Posts

·
Fastman
169 Posts
At this time no Stage2 is planned. We may develop one at some point in the future, but it would connect to the Stage1 box. So you'd need the Stage1 anyway.

The tune itself is very easy to install & remove. It does not trigger any warranty faults on its own but it's never a bad idea to add on the Bavarian Technic cable as a companion tool which allows not only DME but full vehicle diagnostics. Including scanning for hidden codes before going in.
Lol!!!! Got Dinan?!? Bwhahaha. No fear going to the dealer, bro.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
144 Posts
So in all fairness you a running what stage 2 would be anyway. There is a huge jump between BMS1 and what you are doing with the psi increase. Do you have step by step instructions on how us novices can do it. There has to be a reason why terry won't release a stage 2 if its as easy as increasing boost. He has to feel that the power comes at some cost to something that he does not want the liability on. It's the only thing I can think of. Say he sold 150 BMS stage 1 a stage 2 could bring him in 200 more sales at say 350.00 each that's a lot of cash to leave on the table unless there is a liability on someone. With the stage 1 he feels no liability at all.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Liability is not much of a concern. But development costs vs. projected volume is.

To go from Stage1 levels now (which, anecdotally seems to be in the ballpark with Dinan's offering based on race videos) up to higher power levels is going to take quite a bit of R&D. Currently, BMW has us busy with other very high volume platforms (like say, the new 320i model), where the development costs are similar but the volume potential is 10x. I'm not saying there will never be an N63 S2 upgrade. To the contrary I expect we will get to it at some point. I just don't want anyone to sit on the sidelines waiting for it. We offer the Stage 1. It's a great mod. If you want more than what it offers then by all means evaluate your options out there. If you do go another route hang on to the S1 as day we'll likely offer something that connects to the S1 making it a more powerful S2. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Terry

Thanks for the response the detailed update means a lot coming from you. I am sure I am speaking for all of us when I say we love the product and really hope you get the numbers and follow through you need to go to a stage 2. It seems this platform is more then capable. Was wondering if you can comment or give your thoughts on the psi bump a fellow member is using. What are your thoughts, I am pretty sure your comments and step by step instructions will sell quite a few of your cables so more of us stage 1 users can attempt. Also is it mandatory with the psi bump that you are running in 100 octane.

Really look forward to your comments. Thanks for all your efforts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ve never done any engine upgrades on my own, but was looking at the N55 Stage 1 BMW Performance Mapping for my 2013 535i. How simple is it really to install? Also the vehicle is a lease. Is their anyway for the dealer to detect Ive used is so long as I remove it before going to the dealership for service?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ve never done any engine upgrades on my own, but was looking at the N55 Stage 1 BMW Performance Mapping for my 2013 535i. How simple is it really to install? Also the vehicle is a lease. Is their anyway for the dealer to detect Ive used is so long as I remove it before going to the dealership for service?

Thanks
^^ bump, anyone??

·
Chilling
975 Posts

Thanks
its easy unless your hands grow out your ass =D and no they should not be able to trace it if you remove it.

·
TTurboFest
962 Posts
its easy unless your hands grow out your ass =D and no they should not be able to trace it if you remove it.
I agree lol, have been running stage 1 for 9000 miles and ZERO issues and also have been at the dealer twice and no way of tracing it. Usually once a month I buy myself 5gls of Motorsport 109 and bump the boost to a total +4psi over stock and quite frankly my 1st gear is useless on a 0-60 run if I build up boost off the line, another words my 7 turns into torque MONSTER :).
On stage 1 with 93oct it put down 423whp & 470wtq on a Dynojet on a 90+ * temps, expecting easily 50 HP&TQ gains on +4 but haven't dyno on kill mode yet .
BMS S1 is a no brainer and PROVEN.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Terry

Thanks for the response the detailed update means a lot coming from you. I am sure I am speaking for all of us when I say we love the product and really hope you get the numbers and follow through you need to go to a stage 2. It seems this platform is more then capable. Was wondering if you can comment or give your thoughts on the psi bump a fellow member is using. What are your thoughts, I am pretty sure your comments and step by step instructions will sell quite a few of your cables so more of us stage 1 users can attempt. Also is it mandatory with the psi bump that you are running in 100 octane.

Really look forward to your comments. Thanks for all your efforts.
Did Terry ever answer you back on how to do this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts