BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two part question:

Have read with great interest on the capabilities of the JB4 and am interested in doing this on my 335i M-Sport. The gains should be significant :)

Am based in Houston, so while temperatures have 'dropped', we're still in the 80s. At least no more triple digits for a while. With that said, obviously we have quite a bit of heat/humidity here and running a turbo-car I've often wondered if I should upgrade the stock Intercooler (IC) and Especially with a JB4 installation.

1) Is this worthwhile (JB4+IC) and recommended (or not). I most likely will never track the car, but I've been known to stop on the pedal here and there.

2) The IC installation/if highly recommended is outside of my skill set; so the 2nd part of my Q is are there any recommended shops in Houston/Katy that can do this work?

TIA for all your responses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can tell you with conviction, upgrade the IC. The advantages you have are:

- running a cooler air charge will keep your ECU from dialing back boost
- decrease the risk of pre-detonation
- more consistent power in all temperatures

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you with conviction, upgrade the IC. The advantages you have are:

- running a cooler air charge will keep your ECU from dialing back boost
- decrease the risk of pre-detonation
- more consistent power in all temperatures
Noticed this was your 1st post....welcome to the board and am honored to receive your first post :)

Don't doubt what you've said is true, cold air = happy turbos. Also looking for real world experiences as well as local Houston shops capable of doing the work.

·
Vendor
6,804 Posts
Two part question:

Have read with great interest on the capabilities of the JB4 and am interested in doing this on my 335i M-Sport. The gains should be significant :)

Am based in Houston, so while temperatures have 'dropped', we're still in the 80s. At least no more triple digits for a while. With that said, obviously we have quite a bit of heat/humidity here and running a turbo-car I've often wondered if I should upgrade the stock Intercooler (IC) and Especially with a JB4 installation.

1) Is this worthwhile (JB4+IC) and recommended (or not). I most likely will never track the car, but I've been known to stop on the pedal here and there.

2) The IC installation/if highly recommended is outside of my skill set; so the 2nd part of my Q is are there any recommended shops in Houston/Katy that can do this work?

TIA for all your responses.
I will answer the second question first, any shop can do it in 1.5 hours

Do you plan on adding downpipes? if your answer is yes look into getting a bigger intercooler like the Wagner EVO 2
If you do not plan on adding downpipes, get the Wagner EVO 1

We offer combo deals on JB4 + intercooler, let me know if i can help :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my report on installing an evolution intercooler and advantages
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896552

I suggest doing the install yourself so you know how to take off the jb4 if you need to and to be more familiar with your mods.
Very nice and detailed write-up; will read again this weekend as i ponder the possibilities. I'm still leaning towards having a shop do this; however I noticed Mike said 1.5 hours and your backyard estimate was closer to 4.5+ hours.

If it's really only 1.5 hours ($100 shop rate); that's $150 which doesn't really hurt.

What I really liked was your analysis of the IC's available. :thumbup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am lurking with interest on your search for a recommended shop in Houston. Seems we have a few Dinan shops, and Yelp shows their are quite a few well reviewed indy shops.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in Houston as well I'm looking for shop to install some springs. I've done it myself another cars, but I'd rather not screw with it on the Bimmer. Is there a particular shop if you would recommend in the greater Houston area?

I've worked with Eurocar before and feel that their service isn't what it used to be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very nice and detailed write-up; will read again this weekend as i ponder the possibilities. I'm still leaning towards having a shop do this; however I noticed Mike said 1.5 hours and your backyard estimate was closer to 4.5+ hours.

If it's really only 1.5 hours ($100 shop rate); that's $150 which doesn't really hurt.

What I really liked was your analysis of the IC's available. :thumbup:
I'd say for someone who has done this before, has exactly the right supplies/tools laid out, and is willing to man handle parts a bit rougher than the owner, 1.5 is doable. However, I ran into a bunch of stumping moments or issues and each required time to be dealt with. For example, getting the OEM clamps off of the in/out hoses to the fmic should only take a minute but can easily turn into an hour long cursing fest. There's just a bunch of parts like that which are connected tighter than you can manage in close quarters and it's either ingenuity or wearing it loose through persistence that gets it off.

·
Registered
490 Posts
And, a good idea to upgrade your charge pipe while your at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts