BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 BMW X3 3.5 with about 49k. When coming to a stop (at a intersection), I feel a slight jerk after the vehicle has stopped. It doesn't happen everytime, usually after the car has been running for some time. It's not consistent either after it happens.

The strange thing is this happens much less frequently when I'm in sport / manual mode.

I also get this when parking the car. Right when I change from reverse to drive (when parking), the car feels as though its getting bumped from behind.

I've brought it into an indy. There is no fault codes. They tried completely disabling the case transfer but the issue still happens. I've also attempted to bring it into a dealer but they said they probably wouldn't be able to help without any error codes.

Anyone else experience this? Or know what might be the cause?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It might be your transmission downshifting, Try putting the car in neutral when you come to a stop and see if the bump still persist. If yes, it might be time for a transmission fluid change and check the filters/screens.

·
Registered
2018 x5 5.0 M sport
28 Posts
So this happened to me a while back, got really irritating and the "bump feeling" increased... Dealer under warranty checked it out - replaced coils, sparks, and a leak on the megatronic sleeve in the tranny -- never happened again! hope this helps.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,422 Posts
is difficult to change the transmission fluid?
If it was easy then everyone might do it. Not difficult but complicated.

Lift. Level. Crack the fill fitting. Drain. Remove the old pan. Install the new pan. Torque sequence properly. Fill. Cycle the transmission. Adjust fill. Idle to warm to adjust final fluid level.

·
Registered
2018 340i
16 Posts
So this happened to me a while back, got really irritating and the "bump feeling" increased... Dealer under warranty checked it out - replaced coils, sparks, and a leak on the megatronic sleeve in the tranny -- never happened again! hope this helps.
I also had the sleeve replaced and that fixed it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,422 Posts
Bmw ista documentation (what bmw techs follow) says the vehicle must be hooked up to the ista diagnostics station to perform the transmission fill procedure in order to ensure proper fluid level. I'm not saying it wont work without doing that, just passing along the info.
That was off the top of my head from ZF. It does no good to cite BMW without letting we users see the document.

As a matter of fact, I've never heard of such a thing. Absence of evidence not being evidence of absence.

·
Anti-Hack
6,405 Posts
As I remember it is true, but all is ISTA needed for to measure fluid temperature (DME module has the reading). Fluid expands with temp going up.
Procedure for the GM 6 speed is the same. The "cycling transmission to operating temp and removing fill plug with engine running and adding until full" takes care of fluid expansion. Transmission fluid levels have needed to be check engine hot, and running, since the automatic transmission was invented. No software necessary, BMW just prefers to scare people away from doing work and doing it incorrectly. It's an automatic transmission, not a space shuttle. Not too complicated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is a part from the documentation.
Without reading the vehicle I can not porceed to 'Service functions" so no details on exact procedure.

to the automatic transmission.
Conditions for the oil adjustment:
- Initial condition: Transmission oil temperature 30 °C to 40 °C
- Final condition: Transmission oil temperature 40 °C to 50 °C

Important! Transmission GA8HP70Z with N57 engine from 03/2011!!

Precondition for oil adjustment
- Transmission oil temperature 30°C to maximum 40°C.

(The transmission oil temperature must be maintained. This will increase the oil quantity in the transmission.)

Performing oil-level adjustment:
An oil-level adjustment is necessary for certain fault code entries in the automatic transmission and after repair (e. g. mechatronic replacement, converter replacement, transmission replacement).
- Connect diagnosis and information system.
- Service function (transmission control unit: Oil adjustment) call up
- Carry out oil level check in accordance with instructions

1 - 17 of 17 Posts