BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've lurked here for quite long enough. My wife and I decided to be young and impractical while we're still sorta young and impractical. The Z is our only car now and we will dearly miss our 330Ci--the first car we truly loved and the car that turned my wife into a bimmer fiend. It took some searching but we finally got her--at this time the only Dream Red interior with 6-speed manual West of the Missisippi. Other options are: Sport, Premium, M Sport Seats, Xenons and Heated Seats.

We haven't named her yet, but here she is:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
machmeter said:
Yummy, sweeeeeeet, tasty, mmmmmmm. :thumbup: :yumyum:

But, they drilled the front bumper! :yikes: :yikes: :cry:
I know. :cry:

My CA had to do a dealer trade to get the car and the original dealership that it came from had already drilled it. But my CA has a set of plugs on order for me and he'll have it color matched when they get in. Incidentally, a giant plug for Jerry Malone at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael-- a first class CA all the way and I suspect this won't be the last car deal we do with him.

Second plug: for Adrian at Nalley. I didn't get to do a deal with him because the car he had didn't have M seats and that turned out to be a deal-breaker for me and my wife. But Adrian was very professional with us and I will certainly direct friends on the east coast to him.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
cantona7 said:
I know. :cry:

My CA had to do a dealer trade to get the car and the original dealership that it came from had already drilled it. But my CA has a set of plugs on order for me and he'll have it color matched when they get in. Incidentally, a giant plug for Jerry Malone at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael-- a first class CA all the way and I suspect this won't be the last car deal we do with him.

Second plug: for Adrian at Nalley. I didn't get to do a deal with him because the car he had didn't have M seats and that turned out to be a deal-breaker for me and my wife. But Adrian was very professional with us and I will certainly direct friends on the east coast to him.
Beautiful car and color combo!!

I absolutely love the Z4, my wife and I spent the day yesterday driving through the countryside, top down, visiting friends who all wanted to drive the thing and subsequently are interested in a purchase - I'm at about 7500 miles now, once you break it in, it'll feel even better.

This is the first car I've ever owned I'd purchase a second time in a heartbeat.

Ed

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats! Please post pictures after you get the plugs. They did the same crap to mine! Amazing, just to try and advertise their dealership. Like a satisfied customer is not more important that a plate with the dealers name on it...

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Great photos. She's a thing of beauty for sure. Many happy miles to you in your new roadster. :thumbup:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
03&04Owner said:
Congrats! Please post pictures after you get the plugs. They did the same crap to mine! Amazing, just to try and advertise their dealership. Like a satisfied customer is not more important that a plate with the dealers name on it...
The dealership that I got it from told me that in California/San Francisco, inspectors come around to the lots and they get fined $100 for every car that DOESN'T have a drilled front bumper. The only way around this is if you get lucky and your car comes in like the day after one of these random inspections. They also make you sign a waiver if you take delivery of a car without a drilled bumper--basically says that the dealership wanted to drill, but you refused permission. Stupid front plate laws.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
cantona7 said:
The dealership that I got it from told me that in California/San Francisco, inspectors come around to the lots and they get fined $100 for every car that DOESN'T have a drilled front bumper. The only way around this is if you get lucky and your car comes in like the day after one of these random inspections. They also make you sign a waiver if you take delivery of a car without a drilled bumper--basically says that the dealership wanted to drill, but you refused permission. Stupid front plate laws.
I had to sign a waiver. :dunno:

·
Registered
942 Posts
jesus...you got almost the EXACT same car as i did...with the exception of GRAY TOP

great choice!

teaser pic...more to come on my PD writeup once i can get some good pics...ALWAYS DRVING THE THING!!!

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
They drill the bumpers here and we don't use front plates.:mad:

·
Registered
458 Posts
bob lindquist said:
They drill the bumpers here and we don't use front plates.:mad:
My front bumber is NOT drilled and here in Oregon we do use the front plate. I'm trying to decide what to do. I've got the mounting kit and the front plate in the car, I don't want to get a ticket and I don't want to drill holes in my new Coupe. Any suggestions?

conorb

·
Registered
200 Posts
Front Plate or No Front Plate?

conorb said:
My front bumber is NOT drilled and here in Oregon we do use the front plate. I'm trying to decide what to do. I've got the mounting kit and the front plate in the car, I don't want to get a ticket and I don't want to drill holes in my new Coupe. Any suggestions?

conorb
We have the same situation here in Washington - mandatory front plates. My car is supposed to be here sometime in August - I am going to tell the dealership that I don't want the front plate mounted and expect no holes drilled in the bumper. My plan is to go without a front plate and take the chance that I get caught (been driving without a front plate on my current car for the last 4 years with no problem). If I do get caught and have to mount it, I intend to make up some kind of bracket that will reach inside of one of the air scoops or under the front lip where I can mount it to something not visible, and then simply have the bracket extend out the front and bend up (or down) to "float" the plate in front of the car...my concern here is making sure not to obstruct any air flow to the brakes or cooling system...

I saw a Miata with a similar setup just this morning.

btw - I really enjoyed your photo album - my car is also IL Blue but with black extended leather...maybe we'll run into one another sometime in Portland or Seattle (I come down there to see friends once in a while).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to live in Boston and Massachusetts is also a mandatory front plate state. Never had an issue there. In San Francisco, the cops don't care but the meter maids are ticket happy. I've had 3 front plate tickets in the past year--each time when I was parked on the street. But thankfully, it's a fixit ticket here. Funny story: I know a guy who's gone for about 4 years out here with no plates at all. In California, it takes a long time to get new plates and you often see cars around with no plates and just a dealer plate holder in the back. So this guy I know just keeps his car really clean runs with no front plate and a dealer plate holder in the back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
conorb said:

conorb
Do a search on the z 4 um, there is a member that has a homemade setup that looks pretty nice. He used some aluminum brackes that went under the bumber, this topic has been dicussed there a few times I believe. Dudley

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
At my dealer somone ordered a M3 with instructions not to mount the front plate.
Somehow it got mounted and he refused the car.
They got him another car and the initial one ordered is still in the showroom.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
cantona7 said:
I used to live in Boston and Massachusetts is also a mandatory front plate state. Never had an issue there. In San Francisco, the cops don't care but the meter maids are ticket happy. I've had 3 front plate tickets in the past year--each time when I was parked on the street.
That's how it works in Chicago as well - the cops won't bug you, but park on the street and you'll get nailed. My Z4 doesn't have a front plate and won't - if I think I can't park off-street, I take the 3-series, which came with one already.

·
Registered
226 Posts
conorb said:

conorb
Maybe you could stick it on with double sided tape. I hear thats how the rear is held on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts