Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been a member for a while and bought an e39 about 4 years ago, but had the timing issue and sold it due to not being ready for the project. Went off and finished my medical training, and instead of buying a brand new bimmer like my classmates I bought the car I had always wanted......a 650.00 bmw e39. Before I get flamed for my purchase, I wanted this as a project car ahead of time with the hope I would learn the car and do my own work as best as I can. I always wanted this car since a teenager. So onto the car, I wanted a car with a decent body, and assuming people lie about the condition of the motor I was ok with assuming the worse. I purchased this the motor already gone, the guy said it was only firing on 6 cylinders. Its a 2001 740iL and I wanted to do one of two things. Some people are putting the LS1 motor in these now and I understand that my help with some of the bothersome things that may arise with the car, also this may be more expensive doing the conversion, and lastly, I didn't want to take too much away from the bmw of the car. I was told the car has 125k on the transmission, and the interior was decent. Knowing the other option is buying a used motor has similar risks, I was thinking of buying a used motor and taking my time replacing the problematic areas of the motor with the help of my mechanic. I know things would be a ton easier with the motor being out of the car already and working from there as I see fit. My question is would you recommend either the LS1 or just doing the rebuild. And if rebuild is the answer what would you recommend doing to a used motor sitting in the garage to ensure that this engine can last another 100k miles.. any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Welcome back!

The LS swap is definitely something to consider. For myself, having not worked on LSs, I am not sure it is worth it. There are definitely some pros (parts availability, upgrades, etc) but there are also some downsides (coding, interfaces, etc). If I were to go LS it would either take a super long time (requiring another vehicle) or would be outsourced ($$$). That is your call.

As for tackling an engine refresh while out there are some definite things: all the “external” gaskets (hopefully you don’t need to do the heads etc), TCG, OSV, VANOS (with Beisan seals), cooling system (pump, tstat, etc) including rear hoses, and any prettifications you want to do (powder coating, colored silicone lines, etc). When sourcing parts, take the normal precautions in manufacturer: if electrical systems OE/OEM, mechanical then by application reputation. Example: TCG is Genuine BMW (I have heard aftermarket can go quickly) but VANOS is Beisan (OE fails so why replace with the same?).

Either way I think you will be happy with a reliable vehicle (assuming maintenance is performed).

Keep us updated with decision and progress!

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
459 Posts
I***8217;m doing a motor swap right now on basically the same car with 120k miles. PO ran it hot. Motor swap is pretty straightforward if you have access to an engine hoist, car lift, and engine stand. Hoist is mandatory it just gets harder if you don***8217;t have a lift. So far my budget is:
Used 120k engine from a trusted eBay source $950 from FL to NC. $450 is misc parts and gaskets which I tried to keep basic. Valve cover gaskets, rear main seal $120, spark plugs, alternator gasket, valve cover bolt seals, etc... by no means a full gasket set. If your car is a keeper, add timing chain case cover gaskets and valley pan gasket. All easy to do if you have your replacement engine on a stand.

You can get good deals through Advanced Auto on motors with a warranty. Found one for $1,700 with 80k miles and 12 month warranty but went cheaper because I***8217;m going to resell the car when I***8217;m done and not enough in the cost/market value margin. If it were a keeper, I***8217;d gone with the Advanced engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bear and 540......those were the kind of responses I was looking for. I appreciate everyones input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more thoughts

So I was driving down the road last week and found this sitting in front of and closed for business for good. I left a note and the guy called me back. He said its a 97 and he has 2000 in it. Has 140k, and he "claims" its not getting fuel to the injectors. Said he will sell it for 1000.00. I know I can buy an engine for that amount but I am also aware that I also need a radiator, alternator and a few other things that are missing on the engine that may or may not come with it. Furthermore I need a rear bumper as well and what else may come about. Think I should pull the trigger and hope that the engine is good knowing that I can have a possible bank account for parts later?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I would pass on this.
Engine unknown, all the work still needed, and the exterior needs help ($$$).
If you have the time and space (and non-complaining neighbors) then a part out could be worth it but...
Then again, I am the one that also recommends you either have a safety fund or (better yet) throw $X into a reserve for parts/maintenance/emergency repair (my personal goal is $5k reserve).

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
459 Posts
By the looks of it and money, pass.

That year didn***8217;t have the M62TUB44 engine and had the M62B44 so you may have issues using the engine. Others who know more may comment but think your 01 ECU won***8217;t play well with the older engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
may have found something

Found this on Craigs list. Guy wants barely anything for it (600) and he is a pastor, so the car is owned by the church. He said he was having engine trouble,has owned it since 2002, brought it to Firestone and spent 2617.00(saw the receipts) fixing things that they thought was the problem. He said all of a sudden it would start to run really bad, with the body shaking for about 5 minutes. He said it happened twice and then all of a sudden it stops. He said it is throwing a bunch of codes. I go over there and it cranks right up. I take it for a cruise and got it up to 80 with no problem. Other than the car being a pig pen, the engine and transmission run perfect. I did note the burning smell of oil, it has 160k on the engine, he claims it has an oil leak by the rear main oil seal. Said it hasn't run bad for a few weeks now but the church did not want to pay for fixing the codes. I am drawn to it due to the fact that the engine "seems" to run ok, and again it can serve as a piggy bank for parts as I am putting the other one together. Any thoughts? Also it being an M sport model, I can pilfer some of the parts off of it that I need (rims, radiator,steering wheel, navigation). Also will the engine bolt right up?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
That is a much better buy. I know that several people in the forum will buy that in a heartbeat.
I guess I am confused though as to why you are looking at full vehicles? Thought you had one and just wanted to do the engine.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is a much better buy. I know that several people in the forum will buy that in a heartbeat.
I guess I am confused though as to why you are looking at full vehicles? Thought you had one and just wanted to do the engine.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

I did the same thing when I was looking for a motor to swap. It's cheaper to buy the whole car, than its parts seperate, plus you get to see where the engine came from.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Engine

I do need just the engine, but the previous poster was right, it was cheaper than to buy the whole car. Plus with the color combo I can peel parts off as I need them.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Fair and makes sense... if you have the room etc.
so that one at that price? Sure.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

1 - 14 of 14 Posts