Bimmerfest BMW banner

If my car is not totaled:

  • It will never drive the same, order a new bimmer now.

    Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Wait to see how it drives, it may be fine.

    Votes: 6 37.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jon,

I know that before I would buy a used car, I would run a CarFax and make sure there is no accident history.

If my car ends up being completely repaired and nothing out of spec can be identified, are BMW dealers typically willing to accept it as trade-in? Could it have a future as someone’s CPO BMW? If at the dealer, there is a diminished trade-in value, maybe my insurance will compensate me for this real loss?

I have it at the best repair shop in the DC area (Wagonworks), but I have this fear that it will never drive the same again. I am sure it will be close enough that 9 or 10 people could never tell. I am thinking that even if it is not totaled, maybe I should go ahead and order a replacement.

CD-55
 

·
************************* ***
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
There was a fellow in Fla. who smashed his alpine white coupe but good and was very satisfied with the fix. I can't remember his alias. You know, they straighten to very high tolerances and replace what can't be fixed, so my bet, considering the quality of the shop, is that you won't tell a difference that matters.

Of course, I had a '72 2002 that was broadsided, remember this is back in the '70s, and it never was the same. Went thru two differentials after it was fixed, I think the car was doomed to be cockeyed after the accident.
 

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
Joined
·
3,300 Posts
Emotionally, it's easier to just say "blow it out" and move on.

But I'd wait and see the scope of the damage to the frame and structure.

If the damage leans more to the body, then a good shop will restore it to like new conditions. The body panels are just remove and replace. Our ML was flawlessly repaired... I cannot see where the damage occurred. Paint match was perfect.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Honestly, I suspect that it *can* be repaired to a level where likely not even you could tell if you didn't know. The thing is, because you know, you may end up feeling irregularities that do not really exist. And they'll bug the hell out of you as long as you keep the car.

As for trade-in/CPO, my M3 had body work done to it's front end. I cannot be sure of what all was replaced, but I know my fenders were. Unfortunately for a potential buyer, I do not think your accident would preclude your car from being resold as a CPO.
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
johnlew said:
There was a fellow in Fla. who smashed his alpine white coupe but good and was very satisfied with the fix. I can't remember his alias. You know, they straighten to very high tolerances and replace what can't be fixed, so my bet, considering the quality of the shop, is that you won't tell a difference that matters.

Of course, I had a '72 2002 that was broadsided, remember this is back in the '70s, and it never was the same. Went thru two differentials after it was fixed, I think the car was doomed to be cockeyed after the accident.
That would be LilEccentircJ.

I have a link to his pictures from the wreck at home if interested.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
CD-55 said:
Jon,

I know that before I would buy a used car, I would run a CarFax and make sure there is no accident history.
CarFax is no guarantee of anything. Unless insurance companies are reporting claims to them now, the only way that CarFax can know that a car has been in a wreck is if there is a police report filed (or possibly a citation issued) and/or the title of the car is marked somehow (CA requires cars that insurance companies total to be makred as Salvage and other states have similar requirements).

If at the dealer, there is a diminished trade-in value, maybe my insurance will compensate me for this real loss?
This is something that you will need to work out with your carrier before you sign off releasing them of any further obligation. There is a loss in value of a car that has significant damage, and you should be compensated for the loss in value on the day of the event (even if you plan to keep the car for another 15 years when the difference in value may be very, very slight)
I am thinking that even if it is not totaled, maybe I should go ahead and order a replacement.
If it were me, I would be pressing for the most expensive estimate possible, the maximum amount of loss of value as well as checking into seeing who might be willing to buy the car as is (junkyards, etc) and for how much with the ultimate goal being to get out of the car with enough money for a replacement (or at least cost of replacing with a like condition vehicle). After the estimate comes back, the claims adjuster may be willing to work with you to find a buyer. What a buyer may be willing to pay in combination with cash for the estimate could be enough to satisfy you if the insurance company won't total it themselves.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
TD said:
As for trade-in/CPO, my M3 had body work done to it's front end. I cannot be sure of what all was replaced, but I know my fenders were. Unfortunately for a potential buyer, I do not think your accident would preclude your car from being resold as a CPO.
I don't know if they would turn around and CPO it (not sure what the CPO requirements are), but if they were to do a full appraisal at trade-in time, any appraiser worth his salt is going to get a very good idea of what was done, and mark down accordingly.

That assumes that they actually look at your car. Traded in an 88 Mustang GT (that had been wrecked) on an 87 Vette at a Chevy dealer and they didn't leven look at the Mustang until after the paperwork was already signed.
 

·
************************* ***
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
TD said:
Honestly, I suspect that it *can* be repaired to a level where likely not even you could tell if you didn't know.
TD, forgive my ignorance, but what do the asterisks on either side of "can" mean? I assume it's some sort of hedge.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
johnlew said:


TD, forgive my ignorance, but what do the asterisks on either side of "can" mean? I assume it's some sort of hedge.
I use them to imply certain connotations of a word that using bold or italics wouldn't quite say what I want it to say.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Clyde is correct in his interpretation of the asterisks.

If I had spoken that line, I would have said "can" in such a way as to imply that it is conceivably possible to repair it perfectly but that, given the nature of craftsmanship these days, it might be a long shot.
 

·
************************* ***
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
TD said:


If I had spoken that line, I would have said "can" in such a way as to imply that it is conceivably possible to repair it perfectly but that, given the nature of craftsmanship these days, it might be a long shot.
Well, *thanks* for the explanation.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
If the damage is thorough enough, you could say your Bimmer was hand-built. :p
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
If the damage is thorough enough, you could say your Bimmer was hand-built. :p
That would be "hand-re-built" wouldn't it?
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Thread HIJACK time.

Besides the damage to your vehicle, Tom and JST should really also contact the insurance company as well. Usually they'll be paid up to $500 to sign a waiver to pursue further damage. If nothing else, claim THAT regardless of your injuries, and specifically since JST had to be taken to the hospital.

Not saying that you SHOULD take advantage of the incident, but it is part of all insurance settlement that both Tom and JST are entitled to.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
The HACK said:
Thread HIJACK time.

Besides the damage to your vehicle, Tom and JST should really also contact the insurance company as well. Usually they'll be paid up to $500 to sign a waiver to pursue further damage. If nothing else, claim THAT regardless of your injuries, and specifically since JST had to be taken to the hospital.

Not saying that you SHOULD take advantage of the incident, but it is part of all insurance settlement that both Tom and JST are entitled to.

Huh. Who knew?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,204 Posts
I have had to deal with insurance scams and totals and near totals blah blah blah. Man, take my advice if possible CD-55. Hope that the adjuster totals your car. It is sounding like he has already said fix it though. This will be a big problem down the line for the next owner, and dealers know it.

I had a 94 acura integra. It was wrecked in 95 by a previous owner. Near totaled, had 16 thousand dollars worth of repairs ok. My friend bought it, then a couple years later sold to me. However, noone yet knew of the wreck.

My car, after 4000$ worth of mods, got stolen, and totalled outright. The insurance, however, claimed my car was a salvage vehicle since it had been wrecked before with a cost of repair over the value of the car, there fore salvaged in the insurance companies eyes. Mind you, I did not have a salvaged vehicle title or anything. By all accounts it was a clean car.

Luckily my neighbor was a lawyer and made a couple calls for me.
The insurance, by some weird laws, actually legally can call any wrecked title a salvaged vehicle, if the cost of repairs is worth more than the current retail I am guessing, even though it is not salvaged. This is one way insurance tries to screw people.

So in your case, it would pay to get it fixed and keep it, OR have it totaled and buy a new one. The next owner will have a head ache. And, in my case, since I didnt know about the wreck, and the lawyer scared my insurance company (old one) the insurance company tried to hold the previous-previous owner acountable for "lying" and not disclosing that the car had been totalled before "EVEN THOUGH IT HAD'NT!!" The lawyer I had in my corner got things straightened out for me and the old old owner, but not everyone gets as lucky as I did.

I dont know if all insurance companies play these games. But beware, liability is strange at times, and the mere fact that you wrecked it, makes it less valuable to alot of people. I know I would never buy a car I knew was wrecked. That is why I dont buy used anymore.

Justy my 2 cents, I wanted you to know what *could* happen.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
hts said:



Huh. Who knew?
Don't get any ideas Harrison. YOU can't claim phantom trauma for just knowing CD-55, TD, and JST. No by-stander whiplash too.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top