Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Jon.

Not certain if this is your cup of tea, any response or leads to the appropriate party would be appreciated. You've been so helpful in all other aspects.

The plan... 2001 325i non-sport **manually adjusted**/heated seats to be swapped with 330Ci sport seats with **full power adjustment**.

I know the coupe seats will physically fit in my sedan. Could you advise whether:

1. The 325i connector will be able to work the power features of the new coupe seat?

2. If the brackets from the coupe are directly swapable with the sedan brackets?

Thank you much.

-e46myway :dunno:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Brackets should be swappable. In terms of any electrical functions, the 325 will have no wiring for power seats, so that function will not work. You will have to add a wire to the harness, which is a huge and $$$ job.

I'd imagine you would need a new harness, which will cost thousands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr. Bimmer, thanks for the response.

So, the large yellow connector under the seat in my 325i is not completely wired up to take advantage of the power adjustments and etc, only heat? I was hoping prewired.

That would imply specific connectors/harnesses for cars with combinations of the following:

- Full manual adjustment sport or non-sport w/o Heat Opt
- Full manual adjustment sport or non-sport w/Heat Opt
- Power adjustment sport or non-sport w/o Heat Opt
- Power adjustment sport or non-sport w/ Heat Opt
- etc

Wow... seems like multiple flavors. Are you certain?

Thanks.

-e46myway :tsk:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Sigh. As far as I know, BMW likes to bundle their cars a la carte, meaning that they will NOT install the wiring harness unless that particular option comes with a car. For example, if you do not have rain sensing wipers, then you can not install it after the car has left the factory unless you also install the appropriate wires.

You may want to check with whoever you're getting the seats from for the wiring harness as well. Also check with someone that has the Bentley's Service manual or a TIS CD to see the wiring diagram...If all the seat require is a power source and a proper ground to operate (meaning all the memory features and the logic behind the rotors are enclosed within the seat) you might be able to just splice in a couple of wires to get it to work.

·
Registered
738 Posts
e46myway said:
Dr. Bimmer, thanks for the response.

<snip...>

Wow... seems like multiple flavors. Are you certain?

Thanks.

-e46myway :tsk:
Well, I remember in the intro to BMW/How your BMW was made video that I got from BMW after I bought my 99, it had a segment where they showed how each vehicle has its own custom wiring harness made specifically for the vehicle. Furthermore, I was at the dealer a few months ago wheh they had a 740i insurance job that had some wiring damage. It took something like 3 months to get it from Germany as it was custom crafted for the car based on all its specific options. It cost something like $3000 and then the labor to install it was 45-50 hours or so. It ended up coming near $10,000. The wiring harness is a VERY elaborate part, and I am 99% certain it is custom to every single car. If you don't get a certain option, you will have none of the wiring for it. Same if you didn't have heated seats and you wante to swap to a car that had it. It sounds like it will be more trouble than it is worth, IMO.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
The HACK said:
...If all the seat require is a power source and a proper ground to operate (meaning all the memory features and the logic behind the rotors are enclosed within the seat) you might be able to just splice in a couple of wires to get it to work.
Seems to be a reasonable a reasonable theory. You could test this by finding someone with power seats. Unplug the harness, they power-up the seats by connecting them directly to 12V+ and ground.

Be sure to look at the wiring diagram, because you don’t want to fry the some electronics in the process.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek:
Hey guys. Thanks for jumping in with your theories.

My theory was that the 1 EXISTING multipin seat connector for each seat would be prewired under the hood and that the plug on the seat (and of course the seat features) would be the determining factor of what was used. It would be smarter to manufacture cars that way.

-> Are your applying the theory about a la carte wiring to the multipin connectors like the one under each seat?

I'll examine a physical connector to see if the size, shape, and pins are the same. I don't feel comfortable probing this connector since it is yellow - the sign of DANGER / AIRBAG systems related.

-> Say... does anyone have the wiring diags/pinouts for the sedan connector and/or coupe connector?

Sigh is right. This a bit of work, but with a bit of help from you guys and if I am lucky enough, I might be able to do something really nice.

- e46myway

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
e46myway said:
:eek:
Hey guys. Thanks for jumping in with your theories.

My theory was that the 1 EXISTING multipin seat connector for each seat would be prewired under the hood and that the plug on the seat (and of course the seat features) would be the determining factor of what was used. It would be smarter to manufacture cars that way.

-> Are your applying the theory about a la carte wiring to the multipin connectors like the one under each seat?

I'll examine a physical connector to see if the size, shape, and pins are the same. I don't feel comfortable probing this connector since it is yellow - the sign of DANGER / AIRBAG systems related.

-> Say... does anyone have the wiring diags/pinouts for the sedan connector and/or coupe connector?

Sigh is right. This a bit of work, but with a bit of help from you guys and if I am lucky enough, I might be able to do something really nice.

- e46myway
Keep in mind, there IS an airbag sensor underneath the driver's and passenger seat. If you disconnect that plug, make double sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery FIRST before you do any work, otherwise it's going to be a trip to your local stealership to have the ABS light reset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts