BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Main board but I guess you don't frequent that as much...Or if you don't have any suggestions. Anyway, I'm posting this here as well hoping someone may have an idea or two.

Anyway, after two years of abuse from my overweight rear end, the seat bottom on my black leather has developed a 1/2 inch crack. It's very small and barely noticible, but I KNOW if I don't treat it right away it's going to get much worse. I was wondering if you know of people or procedures to fix small tears in leather? I'm not looking for a PERFECT repair, just something that will prevent the tear from getting worse, and be invisible to the naked eye from more than 3 feet away.

Or if any other board members have any suggestions I may try, you are more than welcome to help out...I'm sure others will appreciate the comments and I certainly will owe you a big one.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Your options:

1. Get seat covers

2. Go to your dealer and have their contractor fill the crack with plastic and re-dye the panel.

3. Replace seat bottom

4. Do nothing

If it were mine, I'd replace the seat bottom. Cost is about $500 and you can do the work yourself. You can wait a year or two or more probably. But if it bothers you, this is the best bet. The plastic fill idea will work, but the patina of the leather will be off. The new dye will probably wear off. It's basically spraypaint.

In the future, change your entry/exit routine. I always prop myself up by putting my left hand on the door sill. Then the ass load is always up and down only. No side to side load.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JonM said:
Your options:

1. Get seat covers

2. Go to your dealer and have their contractor fill the crack with plastic and re-dye the panel.

3. Replace seat bottom

4. Do nothing

If it were mine, I'd replace the seat bottom. Cost is about $500 and you can do the work yourself. You can wait a year or two or more probably. But if it bothers you, this is the best bet. The plastic fill idea will work, but the patina of the leather will be off. The new dye will probably wear off. It's basically spraypaint.

In the future, change your entry/exit routine. I always prop myself up by putting my left hand on the door sill. Then the ass load is always up and down only. No side to side load.
Thanks for the tip...I think it's the metal buttons on my jeans that's causing it. :(

I think I'll get seat covers first (the crack is VERY small) to stretch out the life of the seat bottom, and in a few years replace it. Really appreciate your help man.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:

Thanks for the tip...I think it's the metal buttons on my jeans that's causing it. :(

I think I'll get seat covers first (the crack is VERY small) to stretch out the life of the seat bottom, and in a few years replace it. Really appreciate your help man.
Riveted jeans do not belong even NEAR a car! I was at a local Audi/VW meet a few weeks ago and some models showed up to pose by/on the cars and someone was smart enough to have em wear rivetless jeans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts