·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
595 Posts
it's the tires, man.

watch the races and the ferrari/bridgestone symbiosis is just plain unfair.

bridgestone only seems to work with ferrari (right?).

michelin tires seem problematic, not to mention some chassis/engine unreliability in the williams car.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: it's the tires, man.

blackdawg said:
it's the tires, man.
Could be. Something funny is definitely going on at the start of the races. After qualifying well, it looks like the BMWs are carrying hundred of extra pounds at the start compared to the red cars.

One theory is that the Michelin qualifying tires are good but the race tires stink.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have to agree, the Bridgestones definately are designed with the Ferrari in mind. I also believe the Williams is a rather conservative design. Hopefully over the winter Michelin and Williams will come up with something good for next year. I'd really love to see JPM blow Michael away next year. Schumacher is kind of a boring Champion...I still miss Senna.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Re: it's the tires, man.

blackdawg said:
watch the races and the ferrari/bridgestone symbiosis is just plain unfair.

bridgestone only seems to work with ferrari (right?).
I think this is really key to the gap Ferrari has. The F2002 is a special car and perhaps that comes down to an exceptionally light compact transmission. Williams needs to come up with something that's a real step forward next year. They really didn't do that with the FW24. The FW24 is better than the FW23, but it hasn't gone far enough.

Having said the, it's great they've signed Juan Pablo. He's special.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
PhilH said:
Last year I had no faith in Montoya. He seemed reckless and lacking in that nth degree of talent that the greats have. However, his string of poles this year has impressed me.
It takes a lot more than one fast lap during qualifying ... his race performances have been lackluster this year as well IMHO.

Räikkönen's over taking move on him in Hungary must have really pissed him off. He claimed tires as the reason that he drove out - and even Patrick Head said that it wasn't tires, citing a lack of concentration instead. Ouch.

Anyway, he has two more years to achieve something against MSchumacher and the FIATs (MSchumacher's contract also expires at the end of 2004). I wonder what JPM's new contract means for RSchumacher.

On another note, BMW announced that they already have a new 2003 engine ready for testing in October (in the car). The qualifying version of this engine turned 19,100 RPM and makes an estimated 900 HP. It sounds at least like BMW is doing all that it can! I just hope that Jerry Berger stays around to see them win some championship.

Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts