BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Jump start from battery - Can***8217;t reach jump terminals under hood

21056 14
Dead battery in 745i after week long trip, and despite all the stellar advice in this forum to flip the switch in the trunk to prevent battery discharge, of course I didn’t do that! So here is the issue: given the spot where I parked in advance of the trip, the hood cannot be opened high enough to allow access to the jump start terminals. My question is whether it is safe to connect directly to the batter to jump the car, and if so, do you connect just the positive connection? The manual on page 208 does not indicate anything about doing that, but it also does not say NOT to do it. Has anyone done it before?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
why not just move the car by putting it in neutral?
No Juice - Transmission and Parking Brake Not Responsive

Well, there is indeed a way. For future reference, here is the information from the manual:

You can manually release the Parking Brake and Transmission Lockout.

Use the vehicle key to release the cover panel beneath the instrument panel by turning the lock counterclockwise, then fold down the cover

Pull out the release lever with the loop 1 until it locks into place: the transmission lockout is unlocked.

To reverse this, squeeze the red lever and then restore by reversing the directions above.

Still doesn't answer the question as to whether it is safe to connect to the battery to jump, but hopefully this helps somone in the future.
I think it is ok, but i would use a battery charger like one from a tow truck instead of another car.
It would be safe to connect directly to the battery in the trunk.

Under normal circumstances, the front connections would be easier to reach, but in your situation, connecting directly to the battery would be fine.

Connecting directly to the + terminal only would also be fine assuming you could find a good ground elsewhere. Actually, the - battery cable disconnect point is just under the spare tire cover at the right rear corner of the spare tire well. That would be a very good place for a ground connection.
I wouldnt go battery to battery on this car. All you need is one voltage spike to cause major problems. Not likely to happen but its not worth risking.
If the battery is dead, that's the best you can do (Rear terminals.) I think your battery is already low and looks like its time to get a new one. Give the trunk connections a shot.
like someone already said, just unlock the tranny and roll the car back, its honestly alot simpler then it seems
ive done it a few times with a dead battery no problems... good luck
For winter I leave my vehicle in the garage for storage. I notice after a week the batter dies out completely. Trunk wont open and lights don't come up, battery is completely drained. I charged my vehicle by accessing it from the hood. Again noticed after 5 days the battery is drained again.

I did follow the instructions to put the battery to sleep mode in the trunk. Doesn't seem to help if the battery is drained after 5 days of no use. Is this normal or is something draining the battery charge?

J//
I leave my 7 in the garage for weeks at a time and my battry never dies, that's not normal, you should get a new battery or have the car checked out.
For winter I leave my vehicle in the garage for storage. I notice after a week the batter dies out completely. Trunk wont open and lights don't come up, battery is completely drained. I charged my vehicle by accessing it from the hood. Again noticed after 5 days the battery is drained again.

I did follow the instructions to put the battery to sleep mode in the trunk. Doesn't seem to help if the battery is drained after 5 days of no use. Is this normal or is something draining the battery charge?

J//
+1 in winter i sometimes didnt drive my car for over a week and it still started up on the first time w/o putting the car to sleep either
I leave my 7 in the garage for weeks at a time and my battry never dies, that's not normal, you should get a new battery or have the car checked out.
Can this be result of the alternator ?
Most likely battery related.
Can this be result of the alternator ?
I jumped my car directly to the battery several times before my battery completely failed. Iwas told that there was no issues in doing so by my dealer
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.