BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Jump starting

602 3
Hello Members:

My roommates Ford Country Squire sedan has been needing an occasional jump-start from my vehicle ('07 328xi coupe). Is this practice likely to damage my battery or any other electronics? Please advise. Thanks.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
possibly. once in a blue moon is ok. actually once should of been enough. by that time a new battery should of been put in. who knows the battery could be good but the alternator could be bad. or both could be bad. seriously tell him to go get that **** checked out. in the mean time stop using your car to jump start peoples **** and tell them to go to walmart and buy a $20 jump starter
Hello Members:

My roommates Ford Country Squire sedan has been needing an occasional jump-start from my vehicle ('07 328xi coupe). Is this practice likely to damage my battery or any other electronics? Please advise. Thanks.
That spark when the jumper cables are connected are not good for either car. Both have sensitive electronics, explain it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is Roomie's battery as old as the car :rofl:

If you are connecting the jumper cables the correct way, there should be NO problem.

NEVER connect directly to YOUR battery, but always connect Red Cable to B+ (positive) terminal under your hood after connecting other end of Red Cable to Roomie's dead battery positive terminal. Connect black cable to his negative, and then other end of black cable to your ground lug under the hood (with your engine running). Done this way, there should be NO difference from a switch or relay applying a new load to your vehicle's system.

To prevent something on your vehicle from being switched off due to extra load/draw, turn off Climate Control, radio & headlights before jumping.

One of you (preferably Roomie, or both jointly ;-) should invest $36 in a multimeter & battery charger. Perhaps an extension cord is needed as well:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/26-amp-612v-manual-charger-60322.html

If Roomie's battery won't hold a charge for at least 48 hours, try disconnecting the negative terminal after it has been run/charged, and see if it loses charge disconnected. If not, he has a parasitic battery drain with ignition off, which will do the same thing to a new battery. Check back on how to deal with that, if the case.

George
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.