Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
NestOfRobins said:
I saw this:

http://www.strictlybmw.com/resources/techtips/safejumpstarting.htm, which basically states that you should not jump start BMWs because the electrical system cannot handle 15v for very long.

Is this info accurate?

What about paragraphs 3 and 4? Is this any different than "positive to positive and negative to ground?"

Is paragraph 6 correct?
Over the years I've jump started my 1993 325i many times without any problems. I've used portable chargers, commerical grade battery chargers and other vehicles. The only problem I've encoutered is when I was using "cheap" jumper/booster cables - the gauge of the cables isn't sufficient to carry the full amps needed to jump start a car with a almost dead battery.

Paragrahs 3 & 3 are accurate. Always connect the positive cable to the "+" post in the BMW's engine compartment, not to the battery in the trunk. This post is close to the starter ensuring minimal current loss. The other positive clip goes to the donor battery's "+" post. Next connect the "-" clip to the BMW's engine lift hook or strut tower bolt. I believe newer BMW's has a post mounted on the right side strut tower. Mine does. The LAST connection is connecting the "-" cable of the donor car to a similar ground on the donor car.

As for paragraph 6, if the car doesn't start, try it again. If it still doesn't start, I would disconnect the battery and hook it up to a commerical grade charger for a few hours. If the battery doesn't hold the charge or dies again, I would replace the battery.

Hope this helps....JL

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just one thing to add, after you hook everything up give the good system a few minutes to charge the battery before your start attempt.

During this time I will close all doors and hopefully find a dome light or some other source of the dead battery. If you find the problem your in luck and it isn't a battery issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts