BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I was wondering if anybody has ever had my problem. It seems that maybe I have a problem with the clutch (electronic clutch as I have SMGII).

When I downshift for example from 3rd to 2nd and I don’t break, the shift is ok, but if I break while downshifting, the car seems to straggle/jump a bit. Sometimes I feel it just as I let go of the accelerator.

Does anybody know what it could be?

Thanks

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
That happens to me, on occasion, as well. The rev matching doesn't work as well when you are breaking while downshifting, as the clutch seems to engage abruptly, thereby adding engine braking and causing a rough downshift. I simply allow the SMG to downshift on its own in those situations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have solved the problem. You simple reset the SMG by pressing the 2 paddles simultaneously for a few seconds while crusing at around 60Km/h with the gear engaged (not in neutral) and then shifting is smoother. I didn't have time to test it much today, but I will keep you posted and see if it really solves my problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think I have solved the problem. You simple reset the SMG by pressing the 2 paddles simultaneously for a few seconds while crusing at around 60Km/h with the gear engaged (not in neutral) and then shifting is smoother. I didn't have time to test it much today, but I will keep you posted and see if it really solves my problem.
I thought this procedure had to be done with the gear selector in N ?

SMG is a bit jumpy in this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it in gear. I think in neutral it does not work.

I did it one week ago and the car is smoother since.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it around 80Km/H on 6th gear for about 5-10 seconds.

Make sure the road is straight and flat (no slope or hills). If you find a straight road with a good asphalt, maybe its even better. I am not sure what it does when you reset the SMG, but I would think its better to do it on a dry day and perfect road conditions.

try it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
To correct way to do this is get your car up to 40mph+, put the lever in neutral, hold the two paddles for 2sec+. That should reset your SMG and erase all learned data.

I have never heard of this done while the lever is in gear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
lol, so can anyone confirm the correct way? reset while in 0 or while in gear?

i did it while in gear, and holding both paddles upshifts the car ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am quite sure I did it in gear. There is no feedback so you can just try both ways.

In any case when you do it, you can feel there is something going on and if the shifts weren't smooth before, you will notice a difference.

Also I noticed that as soon as I reset the SMG, for a few KMs it wouldn't let me shift manually. I guess its part of the learning process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
^ You didn't do it correctly. You should be able to shift right away.

lol, so can anyone confirm the correct way? reset while in 0 or while in gear?

i did it while in gear, and holding both paddles upshifts the car ...
Do a search. Its with your lever in neutral or 0.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just telling you my experience and believe me I did it correctly. My shifts were all out of sync. After the reset they are all smooth.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am quite sure I did it in gear. There is no feedback so you can just try both ways.

In any case when you do it, you can feel there is something going on and if the shifts weren't smooth before, you will notice a difference.

Also I noticed that as soon as I reset the SMG, for a few KMs it wouldn't let me shift manually. I guess its part of the learning process.
It has to be in Neutral. The fact that it didn't let you shift for a couple miles indicates something else is going on. I've done the reset in neutral and it lets me shift right away.
I tried to do it the other day in gear and it will shift up or down (depending on which pedal is a microsecond ahead of the other one).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts