BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Um, can you say BOMB?
I have only had Grand Theft Auto III on my PC for a few days... I jacked this car that looked a lot like the new-7, not for any other reason than to drive the wheels off of it. Anyway I wrecked, it blew-up and almost killed me. You said "BOMB"... maybe as I learn the game more I will figure out how to just place a bomb on it and blow it out of it's misery.

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
TD said:
Full sales data HERE- http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020702/nytu067_1.html

Interesting note- 7-series sales for June 2001 vs June 2002

June 2001- 2077 units

June 2002- 1855 units (11 of those were E38s - so 1844 E65/E66s)

That's down 11.2%.

Funny how THIS MONTH'S press release fails to mention the "strength of 7-series sales" like it did last month. Um, can you say BOMB?
Peaks and valleys occur. Not a year over year comparison referencing one single month does a trend make.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
TD, do you suppose any of the 11% could be the outcome of economic uncertainty? Just curious...

To me it appeared that sales in all new cars for BMW were down? Am I reading this wrong?

G

·
Ryan330Ci said:

Peaks and valleys occur. Not a year over year comparison referencing one single month does a trend make.
Except that last month, when the comparo was May to May, BMWNA and the cheerleaders on this board heralded it as proof of the design's greatness.

Either neither month means anything (which is what I argued back then ) or BOTH do.

G

·
Ripsnort said:
TD, do you suppose any of the 11% could be the outcome of economic uncertainty? Just curious...

To me it appeared that sales in all new cars for BMW were down? Am I reading this wrong?
Overall, BMW NA sales were up. And I would speculate that, as far as the economy is concerned, June would be better than May, right? We are, supposedly, in recovery.

G

·
Actually, I'm thinking of the press release for April's sales numbers.

April was the first full month for E65 sales and something like 2100 units were sold (vs ~1500 E38s in April 2001). Two months ago, BMWNA's press release read-

"The new 7 Series has met with extraordinary success since it went on sale in January," said Ed Robinson, VP of Operations for BMW of North America, LLC. "Last month, our dealers have sold more than 2,100 of these incomparable automobiles, a jump of nearly 40 percent over same period sales of the previous model , and a reflection of how well our customers have received the newest BMW."

Hmm... Gotta love spin.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Hmmm. . . . Well, based on the dis-heartening news in the most recent issue of Roundel, the 7-series are being recalled for two seperate problems. I wish I had the article in front of me so I could recall the issues. Either way, I believe BMWNA stated that the recall was going to affect over 12,000 cars. Not good news for potential buyers.

I'm sure BMW is doing this :banghead: :banghead:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Ackster said:
Hmmm. . . . Well, based on the dis-heartening news in the most recent issue of Roundel, the 7-series are being recalled for two seperate problems. I wish I had the article in front of me so I could recall the issues.
Did one of the problems have to do with the trunk lid?:lmao:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Ryan330Ci said:

"Yooooda, you seek yoda!"

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
CD-55 said:

Did one of the problems have to do with the trunk lid?:lmao:
Actually that would be a pretty funny recall notice:

Dear Sir/Madam:

We at BMWNA wanted to inform you about a recall concerning
your 2002 E65. It has been determined that a safety issue
concerning your trunk lid has led to this recall notice.

Due to the visual distraction of the trunk lid, there seems to be a
unusual number of accidents involving other vehicles that can be
linked directly to the trunk design of your E65. Certain behavior
has been observed prior to these accidents which include, but
are not limited to:

1. Finger pointing followed by:
a. The comment "would you get a load a that ______"
b. Uncontrollable laughter.
c. Loss of bodily function - (aka "wp syndrome" - wet pants
syndrome)
d. Driver of said vehicle careening off the road

In order to reduce the number of vehicular accidents, we would
like to replace your trunk, free of charge with a new and
improved model. In the meantime, please try to avoid driving
your car during daytime hours. If you need to use your car during
daytime hours, please only do so for emegency situations.

Please call your local dealership to set up an appointment at your
earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time and continued patronage.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
I think a combination of the economy and the fact that the 7 series (e65) has had some real quality issues, hurt the sales. I feel people want the car, but are a little scared to make that kind of purchase for something that is having problems. As much as I love the car, I got to say, BMW had better get this straightened out because, noone wants to drop 75k for a problem laiden vehicle. I would bet, that if BMW cleans this car up, it will sell very well, even with this wobbling economy.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ripsnort said:

Rip, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you... You know that individual can only see what he wants to see... After all, he knows it all...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ackster said:

Actually that would be a pretty funny recall notice:

Dear Sir/Madam:

1. Finger pointing followed by:
a. The comment "would you get a load a that ______"
b. Uncontrollable laughter.
c. Loss of bodily function - (aka "wp syndrome" - wet pants
syndrome)
d. Driver of said vehicle careening off the road

In the meantime, please try to avoid driving
your car during daytime hours. If you need to use your car during
daytime hours, please only do so for emegency situations.

Please call your local dealership to set up an appointment at your
earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time and continued patronage.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No wonder there are so many of them at the dealership during the daytime.

Where is Nate the advocate when he is needed?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

Funny how THIS MONTH'S press release fails to mention the "strength of 7-series sales" like it did last month. Um, can you say BOMB?
Well, certainly a drop in monthy sales is disappointing, but this is a trend that is affecting Mercedes as well.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020702/nytu064_1.html

S-Class down MORE than the 7! Seems to be more of a market trend. Also, keep in mind how much the outgoing E38s were discounted to move them, $10-15K off MSRP in some cases.

Anyway, it is too early to determine how well the 7 will sell. We won't be able to tell its sales fate until at least one year from now.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I finally got a chance to check out the July Roundel explaining the E65 recalls:

According to the Dow Jones report, one of "the potential defects may affect 8,000 cars made between September and December 2001 and concerns the throttle valve. Anonther potential problem is said to concern the electronic fuel pump and may affect 15,000 cars produced between last October and April of this year; some cars may suffer from both defects. BMW has sold some 32,000 of the flagship Sevens since the model was launched last November. The report says that BMW does not know how much the recall will cost the company, but will be talking with the suppliers of the allegedly defective parts about sharing the costs."

So its worse than I thought, total of possibly 23,000 of the 32,000 producted might have to be recalled. :tsk: Let's hope BMW gets this straightened out by next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts