BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot about Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe train ride. I am wondering if someone has taken this train ride and can share their experiences

1. It seems the train starts early morning around 8 am. Should we book the tickets in advance or can we just drive to the station and buy on the spot? Should we buy a guided tour or just the ticket? Where do we get these?

2. Since we plan on going there in 2nd week of August, should we take warm clothes? I guess so since the Top is at 11000 ft.

3. Can we do the round trip in a day? After the ride, we would need to drive to Zurich?

4. How long is the train journey?

5. Any other related thing that we should be aware of?

·
Vorsitzer
344 Posts
I made the trip from Interlaken, but I can't shed much light on th tickets as I had a Swissrail pass which made the trip N/C. The ride to the top takes several hours and requires one change of trains for the last part of the trip. It is cold on top, as I was there in Feb, I don't know what you can expect in August. Part of what you see is inside a ice cavern, glacer where the train stops and it was chilly. It is a fine trip and you could make the round trip in one day.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Suraj said:
I have heard a lot about Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe train ride. I am wondering if someone has taken this train ride and can share their experiences

1. It seems the train starts early morning around 8 am. Should we book the tickets in advance or can we just drive to the station and buy on the spot? Should we buy a guided tour or just the ticket? Where do we get these? YOU CAN BUY THE MORNING YOU ARE GOING, IT WILL NOT SAVE ANY $$ TO BUY AHEAD. THERE IS A MORNING DISCOUNT FOR THE VERY FIRST RUN THAT WILL SAVE YOU SOME MONEY. ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE "VISITOR" SWILL RAIL PASSES YOU CAN RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT. THE OTHER POSTER INDICATED THEY RECEIVED THEIR TRIP AT NO CHARGE DUE TO THEIR PASSES, BUT I'M AFRAID THE HIGH MOUNTAIN RUNS ARE DISCOUNTED BUT NOT INCLUDED IN ANY OF THE VISITOR RAIL PASSES.

2. Since we plan on going there in 2nd week of August, should we take warm clothes? I guess so since the Top is at 11000 ft. YES, TAKE A SWEATER AND LIGHT OR MEDIUM JACKET AS THE TOP WILL BE CHILLY. ALSO THERE IS AN ICE MUSEUM THERE THAT IS INSIDE AN ICE CAVE AND EVERY DISPLAY IS CARVED FROM SOLID ICE - WELL WORTH SEEING. YOU CAN ALSO DO SOME SLEDDING THERE IF YOU'RE IN THE MOOD.

3. Can we do the round trip in a day? After the ride, we would need to drive to Zurich? ABSOLUTELY IT CAN BE DONE IN A DAY, AS YOU WOULD PROBABLY SPEND A FEW HOURS AT THE TOP, LUNCH THERE IS YOU LIKE OR WHEN YOU GET BACK TO KLEINE SCHEIDEGG OR WENGEN ON THE WAY BACK DOWN.

4. How long is the train journey? THAT DEPENDS UPON WHERE YOU'RE STARTING FROM OF COURSE. IF YOU'RE DRIVING TO THE AREA, I SUGGEST YOU DRIVE TO LAUTERBRUNNEN, PARK IN THE ADJOINING PARKING LOT (SAFE/CLOSE) TAKE THE TRAIN FROM LAUTERBRUNNEN ALL THE WAY WITH STOPS IN WENGEN AND KLEINE SCHEIDEGG. IF YOU BEGIN IN LAUTERBRUNNEN THE TOTAL TIME WILL APPROXIMATELY 2 HOURS.

5. Any other related thing that we should be aware of? BEFORE YOU BUY ANY TICKETS TO GO UP, CHECK THE LIVE PANORAMIC CAMERAS THAT SHOW WHAT IS GOING ON WEATHER WISE AT THE TOP. YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE HEFTY FEE TO GET TO THE TOP AND SEE NOTHING WHICH IS FULLY POSSIBLE ON A BAD WEATHER DAY.
Here is an additional resource on the Jungfrauhoch
http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-15/198_read-842/

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,189 Posts
vrrooom said:
I made the trip from Interlaken, but I can't shed much light on th tickets as I had a Swissrail pass which made the trip N/C. The ride to the top takes several hours and requires one change of trains for the last part of the trip. It is cold on top, as I was there in Feb, I don't know what you can expect in August. Part of what you see is inside a ice cavern, glacer where the train stops and it was chilly. It is a fine trip and you could make the round trip in one day.
From my recollection of when we went a few years ago, also in Feb, the Swissrail pass takes you as a far as Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. Beyond you need to pay separately as they are (I think) private rail lines that take you up to the ski areas. Once in the ski area (Kleine Scheidegg) we had to pay for a separate ticket to get on the Jungfraujoch train to the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts