BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey vince,

i was reading this month's roundel and the article by jenny morgan got me thinking. i dont have a scanner, but she was talking about a one-armed friend (only has right arm) and how he had a smg 02 m3. well she went into how they wanted to wire some switch/paddles to the floor where the clutch pedal would be for this guy and that bmwna didnt seem interested in helping (although at the end of the article she did say that a bmw engineer contacted her about helping him). at any rate, i read the article and thought that might be another excellent application of the paddle-shift, albeit with some modifications. i dont have a scanner so i cant post the article, but maybe someone else can. at any rate i thought it'd be a good way to promote good will and your kits in general

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
I had the same thoughts and e-mailed Vince about it last week. Apparently, he is already in touch with Jenny to work on the retrofit kit! Go Vince! :thumbup: :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Raffi said:
I had the same thoughts and e-mailed Vince about it last week. Apparently, he is already in touch with Jenny to work on the retrofit kit! Go Vince! :thumbup: :D
Way ahead of both of you...Sent a letter to Roundel raving about our weird colored underwear friend to pimp for the paddleshift masta. :thumbup:

By the way, we're cooking up a hush/hush project this weekend...Hopefully this will pan out.

I was bored this morning and was up watching early morning cartoon on the Cartoon Network and there was this freaky little Japanese Anime show called "Hamtaro"...:confused:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Yeah, I e-mailed Vince about this too, coincedentally at the same time he saw the column. :lmao:

My suggestion was to swap the left 1-way SMG paddle with a left 2-way SSG one. Lets hope something helpful comes out of this!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i thought about the two way one sided paddle too... i guess that's what i get about waiting to read my roundel.... (=

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DougDogs said:
Forget the paddles, I read Jenny's article also. with only one arm, this guy might be better off with "left foot paddles, or switches" :dunno: :dunno: then he can keep his hand on the wheel:dunno:
well the article suggested foot paddles/switches, but that's the beauty of the smg/ssg paddles... on the wheel, hands never leave.... but i know what you are talking about

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
ah ha! :D

Thanks for the heads up again, Eugene.

Kaz emailed me last Thursday when I was browsing at the article. Then Dan and Raffi both emailed me on Friday. :thumbup: And I was already speaking to Mark on the phone that evening.

He's interested in the SSG paddles.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Wait a minute!!! They moved Hamtaro to Monday mornings???

:eek: :eek: :cry:

Btw, my personalized plate will be (see below) if no one objects...:p

The HACK said:

I was bored this morning and was up watching early morning cartoon on the Cartoon Network and there was this freaky little Japanese Anime show called "Hamtaro"...:confused:

Attachments

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Wait a minute!!! They moved Hamtaro to Monday mornings???

:eek: :eek: :cry:

Btw, my personalized plate will be (see below) if no one objects...:p
If I'm not mistaken it's on EVERY morning. :dunno:

Then again, I'm not nearly as hamster obsessed as you are. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hey guys,

You might have remember this post Eugene originally made. Well, Hack, Kaz and Raffi did email me that day when we all received our Roundel. Jenny, a regular columinist, has mentioned about a friend with special needs when driving a M3 SMG.

Just over the last week or so, another individual wrote to me asking me if I can help him with retrofitting paddles and I shall address him as J.

J. has a 1999 540iT with Steptronic, that he uses to commute to work. But due to his paraplegic conditions, he has some difficulties operating the shift knob. And he would very much like the paddle-shifters. In addition, he would like me to integrate a braking/gas feature that is activated by either hand rather than his right foot. Also, I have been looking through some TIS and Bentley. The gas pedal should be pretty simple to rework since it's really a potentiometer but the brake pedal will be the brain teaser.

Now...the not so good news. I checked his last 7 VIN and turns out that his 1999 540iT is not an ideal candidate to retrofit paddle-shifting. Why? There is a part needed who CANNOT be retrofitted on an early 1999 BMW model. I just replied his email and I really don't know how else to tell him this. :( :(

If only he's from California and I will take some time off to work on his car. :(

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Well, there are professional outfits that modify cars for handicapped people. The whole hand-controls bit sounds as if though this might be a job for one of those firms.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kudos to vince for looking into it so much. but if it's beyond your considerable talents, then not your fault... not like you dont want to do it cuz it's difficult....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts