Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, long time lurker. I owned a 2006 328 a while ago but got rid of it because of life. So I finally am at a point to build a fun car. I bought a 1991 525I manual with a m50 today. The body has 300,000 miles engine completely rebuilt about 90,000 ago. The current plan is to fix up the engine to polish everything, fix little issues, and turn it into a weekend/track car. It's rust free runs strong, and shifts clean. I know it needs an o2 sensor from a scan I did and I think there may be a small vacuum issue, it stutters at idle. Is there anything else I should look out for or replace right away? I noticed some oil build up on the front driverside tubing on the engine. I'm looking to do the easy stuff myself but I am also looking for a solid mechanic in the Norfolk area I heard good things about eastern autowerks. Finally, should I just buy a new m50 to build up and eventually swap or work on the current one piece by piece?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up post. Just got the car inspected everything was solid. Here's some photos since it was too dark last night. So current plan is to do a turbo build. Redo suspension and coat the underside. Polish up the body and make it a sleeper weekend car. A few questions for you guys. I want to drive the car but I want a completely machined engine are there any good places to look for m50 blocks and trannys so I can build my engine and then swap in the beast once the engine build is done? Also bigger question are there bolt on coilovers kits anywhere? I don't want to weld but I know the front strut is connected to the wheel assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
As far as I know every coil over kit requires you to cut the shock tube and weld the front. Rears are bolt in.

As for donor engine and trans check the local pick-n-pulls. I know the yard I go to in Pennsylvania usually has at least one M50 525i in stock. Only downfall is they are autos - never seen a manual car.

http://www.car-part.com/ can search yards that participate in stock - however most of these yards are not u-pulls. you have to call and wait for them to yank the part themselves.

_

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go with the strut spring set up. I found some lowering springs from bavauto that have equal lowering (trying to avoid the under steer)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have spare m50 long block in my garage. Waiting for me to build it. Not sure if I’ll ever get to it. Was planning on going turbo as well. If I end up selling my e36, I’ll make sure to check back. Don’t mind shipping it, but I think it would have to go to a commercial address. I’m not positive though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts