BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the '97 M3 for $8500 with a dinan chip, full exhaust and intake but is blowing a little white smoke out of the pipes. I changed the oil and seafoam in the vacuum line and gas tank but still blows white smoke. help?

·
Registered
385 Posts
RE:"but is blowing a little white smoke out of the pipes." That should only cost you about $7,800 to repair.
Just kidding...good job and have fun!

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
1. Google e36 white smoke
2. Google e36 cooling system problems that cause blown head gaskets
3. Google e36 headgasket DIY

I paid a good 3k less than that for my m3 in november with 130,000 in very clean condition just for reference :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not over heating or anything so its not the head gasket i think it might just be in the exhaust cause its super dirty or an intake gasket

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
It doesn't need to overheat to have a blown headgasket. Watch your coolant level like a hawk to see if it changes over a period of 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey I can see why you'd be mad, what with the blown head gasket and all.

Dude we're just trying to help you. When you're done with the denial/anger come on back and we'll help you through the repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. Google e36 white smoke
2. Google e36 cooling system problems that cause blown head gaskets
3. Google e36 headgasket DIY

I paid a good 3k less than that for my m3 in november with 130,000 in very clean condition just for reference :)
Why bother coming here if all you are going to do is tell the guy "google it"? All you did was start a chain of comments that condemned the person for his purchase and his question.

I was under the impression that one of the benefits of this site was to be a resource and a way of helping one another with our cars. There is nothing like tapping into the experience of another owner who has dealt with the same problem. In the same amount of time you slapped this guy around you could have offered some information that had value. Adding insult to injury you had to rub the purchase price in his face. Really? Thats you helping this guy?
Here is a thought, stop being condescending (you can "google" the definition if you need too) and offer some encouraging and useful information instead. Here is a thought, if you don't have anything useful to say...just don't.

To the OP. There is a ton of good information on this site. There are also many very knowledgeable owners that can help you. Try using this sites search tool. Use different combinations of the words describing your problem. Don't be hesitant to ask questions along the way. Get ready to read allot and ignore the punks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Actually I thought the google suggestions were right on the money. The response identified the likely problem and the likely solution. Isn't that what the OP is looking for?

And just a suggestion, if you've only been a member here a month or two it's best not to lecture like you're the moral voice of the forum.

OP, google those terms and you'll find all the info you need. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Crisscross had useful information. I didn't disagree with the google search, I felt that someone could have added to it. The purchase price statement while true, it seemed like bad timing to someone who just bought a car likely needing expensive repairs. But that alone would not be cause for a forum morals rally.
I wasn't looking to single anyone out, but since you raised your hand. Remington, you said "we were just trying to help you out". Did I miss a previous "helping" post from you? Maybe including something constructive with your G. Wilder picture would have made it easier for the OP to handle. If you were in that situation wouldn't you be on edge too? You can read the thread and see what it produced.
I have, in my short membership, been helped greatly. I am grateful. Not trying to make enemies, just thought that some may want to consider their impact on this site and the people who come here.
My apologies to all for the "punks" comment.

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Why bother coming here if all you are going to do is tell the guy "google it"? All you did was start a chain of comments that condemned the person for his purchase and his question.

I was under the impression that one of the benefits of this site was to be a resource and a way of helping one another with our cars. There is nothing like tapping into the experience of another owner who has dealt with the same problem. In the same amount of time you slapped this guy around you could have offered some information that had value. Adding insult to injury you had to rub the purchase price in his face. Really? Thats you helping this guy?
Here is a thought, stop being condescending (you can "google" the definition if you need too) and offer some encouraging and useful information instead. Here is a thought, if you don't have anything useful to say...just don't.

To the OP. There is a ton of good information on this site. There are also many very knowledgeable owners that can help you. Try using this sites search tool. Use different combinations of the words describing your problem. Don't be hesitant to ask questions along the way. Get ready to read allot and ignore the punks.
After many years of reading the same questions over and over leads me to want to teach the new posters to simply search for their answers instead of just joining up and asking a question. It is obvious that the OP has done zero research in purchasing a car that WILL require a lot of work, so by posting some answers with leads, he will be forced to search for his answers.

In the end, you give a man a fish to feed him for a day, or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. I am simply trying to help the OP find the answers to his questions in a faster, easier and more rewarding way.

The hypocrisy of this statement is making me :rofl:

And the purchase price wasn't to make him feel bad, it was simply to show that he may have overpaid for his car and he might want to rethink his goals with it (especially if it has a blown head gasket)

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
I always love people who come to a forum AFTER they have bought a given product, and ask, did I get a good deal? Did I buy a good item?

Too late then.

Should have looked for smoke from the exhaust during the test drive. Also, a good idea to have a good shop do a pre-purchase inspection. To cath things like this.

And basic car stuff:

White smoke = coolant getting into the engine

Bluish smoke = oil burning

Black smoke = running rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts