BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2007 335i with 74K miles on it yesterday. i bought from carmax with warranty up to 125k. i bought it yesterday afternoon. today while driving back from school a warning pops up on the screen stating that there is an engine malfunction and that the engine is not functioning with full power and to take it to the closest BMW service center and the car felt a lot weaker. after some research i found out that it is most likely to be the HPFP. i just called Carmax and scheduled an appointment to get it fixed tomorrow. after what happened i am thinking to return the car as Carmax offer a 5 day money back guarantee and its only the second day. anyone have experienced this issue before? if i get fixed will happen more often? or is it just my luck that i got this car and happened to break the second day i bought it?
i am really confused and don't know what to do, i know for a fact that if it breaks in the future carmax will take care of it as the warranty covers the whole car bumper to bumper and i can even take it to a BMW dealer; however, i will have to pay 100 deductible. tell me guys what you think
any advice would be appreciated
thanx in advance!

· Registered
4,538 Posts
I'd take it to a BMW dealer, as they are FORCED to fix it. Honestly you now just got a brand new one @ 74k miles, compared with people here who got theirs when they finally fixed it you've got a ton of miles to use the new one before it might fail.

If HPFP gets you worried you probably should return the car. From all the people modding and punishing the cars with piggybacks, exc. you don't see near the issues on forums you'd expect if this car was a real problem child.

Your choice, but the N54 is a beast and I'd say worth keeping. Good luck!

Issues you MAY have depending on your driving / abuse

-spark plugs/coil packs
-vanos
-carbon build up on valves
-turbos (I stay between 1000-2700k rpms until oil temp is 200-230, as to make sure I'm doing my part to protect the car)
-squeak brakes
-rubber trim fade/ possible fail

As an owner you need to decide how scared you are, I could tell you to go over to the acrua/toyota/lexus thread and as many people having zero issues for 100s of thousands of miles you could still put together a list like I just did for each car.

· Custom User
766 Posts
Do not return it. There is a recall and a 10 year warranty for the HPFP, so take it to a dealer like SuperTerp said. If fixed by BMW through the recall it shouldn't happen again, since they have an improved pump design AFAIK. If CarMax fixes it, all bets are off.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
i just bought a 2007 335i with 74K miles on it yesterday. i bought from carmax with warranty up to 125k. i bought it yesterday afternoon. today while driving back from school a warning pops up on the screen stating that there is an engine malfunction and that the engine is not functioning with full power and to take it to the closest BMW service center and the car felt a lot weaker. after some research i found out that it is most likely to be the HPFP. i just called Carmax and scheduled an appointment to get it fixed tomorrow. after what happened i am thinking to return the car as Carmax offer a 5 day money back guarantee and its only the second day. anyone have experienced this issue before? if i get fixed will happen more often? or is it just my luck that i got this car and happened to break the second day i bought it?
i am really confused and don't know what to do, i know for a fact that if it breaks in the future carmax will take care of it as the warranty covers the whole car bumper to bumper and i can even take it to a BMW dealer; however, i will have to pay 100 deductible. tell me guys what you think
any advice would be appreciated
thanx in advance!
As of now you have but 2 posts - evidently, you're not familiar with the history of HPFP issues.

Recommend: Read up! You'll feel better.

Had the recall be done on your ride? When?

· Registered
4,538 Posts
Yep :thumbup:

Not only that, but I'm guessing he saw it bought it and now we are here. He really should take the vin and get the internal service history reports from the official bmw dealer in his area and really get a grasp on whats been done to the car. For all we know this is a perfect car with oil changes every 5k and just lucked out and got a good HPFP.

· Registered
806 Posts
As of now you have but 2 posts - evidently, you're not familiar with the history of HPFP issues.

Had the recall be done on your ride? When?
Give this guy a break obvious he is new to the forum and he is seeking for your advise.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Not sure why but CWB does this all too often. Frankly I'd rather he avoid commenting at all instead of making these useless comments.
+1.
To the OP, since you have an extended maintenance plan , I wouldn't worry too much about this, and like others have mentioned, this is something BMW will fix at any BMW dealer, so I would go there. However, the engine in this car is notoriously high maintence, I am the type to spend money on strategic preventative maintence, than to rely on warranty for repair. so if you are not the type to be on top of all the maintenance requirements, this may not be the car for you longer term.

· California Über Alles
879 Posts
Give this guy a break obvious he is new to the forum and he is seeking for your advise.
CWB did give advice and the OP should consider himself fortunate CWB gave the sound advice he did, straight and to the point. In case you didn't catch it the first time, the advice was (1) lots of information here about the HPFP issue, do a search and (2) you will feel better once you have an understanding of what the problem was and how it got resolved.

CWB went a step further-- he asked two very pertinent questions. If the OP learns discovers the answers to those questions, and considers them in the context of his research, he will not only have a better understanding of the HPFP issue but will learn other things such as that repair and maintenance histories are kept and can be obtained. Old saying-- you can hand a man a fish and he'll won't be hungry that night, or you can teach him how to fish and he'll sit in his boat and drink beer all day. Or something like that.

· California Über Alles
879 Posts
Not sure why but CWB does this all too often. Frankly I'd rather he avoid commenting at all instead of making these useless comments.
And I feel exactly the opposite about CWB's advice. It's sometimes in a quirky package, but it is trustworthy and sound, the product of both reference to the most well known repair manual and the experience driven by an almost insatiable curiosity.

Frankly, complaining about a particular poster's "useless comments" is about as useless a comment as can be made. Ask CWB to help you find the "ignore" option if you're having trouble.

· flâneur en cabriolet
927 Posts
Old saying-- you can hand a man a fish and he'll won't be hungry that night, or you can teach him how to fish and he'll sit in his boat and drink beer all day. Or something like that.
:rofl:

OP, I also echo what has been said - HPFP is covered under BMW warranty so take it to them and let them fix it. Also learn the issues, and then you can decide if it's for you or not (you have a couple days with carmax to return). taking it to the BMW dealer also will allow you to get the maintenance history on the car, which is also good info to have.

· Not Here Anymore
5,311 Posts
And I feel exactly the opposite about CWB's advice. It's sometimes in a quirky package, but it is trustworthy and sound, the product of both reference to the most well known repair manual and the experience driven by an almost insatiable curiosity.

Frankly, complaining about a particular poster's "useless comments" is about as useless a comment as can be made. Ask CWB to help you find the "ignore" option if you're having trouble.
Well goody for you. And if I had asked for your opinion I might actually care what it is. His comments are asinine and generally unhelpful.

· Not Here Anymore
5,311 Posts
CWB did give advice and the OP should consider himself fortunate CWB gave the sound advice he did, straight and to the point. In case you didn't catch it the first time, the advice was (1) lots of information here about the HPFP issue, do a search and (2) you will feel better once you have an understanding of what the problem was and how it got resolved.

CWB went a step further-- he asked two very pertinent questions. If the OP learns discovers the answers to those questions, and considers them in the context of his research, he will not only have a better understanding of the HPFP issue but will learn other things such as that repair and maintenance histories are kept and can be obtained. Old saying-- you can hand a man a fish and he'll won't be hungry that night, or you can teach him how to fish and he'll sit in his boat and drink beer all day. Or something like that.
If you have to explain it then perhaps it wasn't good advice.

· Registered
2,510 Posts
And if you run off the new posters pretty soon you'll have to answer your own posts and laugh at your own jokes .......

· Registered
23 Posts
I am a recent 2008 335I BMW owner (bought late July), and I had the exact same problem you had. Bought the car a couple days later had the check engine light come on with the same error. Took it to the dealer as it is luckily still under factory warranty. They replaced my exhaust vanos solenoid. I still get a sputtery start once or twice a day and it sounds like crap... About a month later I threw another engine code, and my car is currently at the dealer again getting serviced. Will let you know what they fixed.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for some of the useless comments from some people!!
I took my car today to the BMW dealer to check if it still has the extended warranty and they told me that it has it till June 9 2013 that's one. Two, I asked them if there is a recall on the car and if it has been done on my car? and they said that it does not have a recall. For the engine malfunction problem, i had to take to Carmax to tell them that the car broke and I need to get the 5 day money back warranty extended. So they took the car and extended the warranty another five days, and gave me a loaner. 3 hours later, They called me telling me that the problem was in the turbo system (they mentioned something about the exhaust too) they are gonna send it to the BMW dealer to get it fixed because it is still under the BMW warranty. What I am thinking right now is when I get the car back I am gonna take it to the BMW dealer and get it inspected bumper to bumper (I know that I have to pay for that) but if they find some other problems I am just gonna return it and find a different one
Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.