BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone!!

Bought my first bimmer yesterday!! 2016 428i gran coupe msport. New to the forum. Had a few questions please help me out.

1. Was told there is a chip to automate the folding of the sideview mirrors. Any threads on here regarding that?

2. Is their any way to watch dvds on the navigation screen?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

photo 20160929_164650.jpg_a2_

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome aboard! I've moved your question to our 4 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. For the mirror question you can do that with coding, check out our BMW coding forum for more info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can code your car to close the mirrors when you lock it. Otherwise if you don't want to code the car then you have to press the mirror close button on the driver door everytime you want to close the mirrors.

Not sure about DVDs

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Don't you guys think it is past time to go brutal and put forward a proposal to outlaw any kind of screens inside the vehicles that have a steering wheel and need to be controlled by a human? Yes, even the screens mimicking the gauges in Audi - there is nothing wrong with analog gauges, they worked perfectly fine for 100 years.

It is just amazing to me how fast humans can go from a convenient tool to a weapon. Give monkey a bone and ... (see 2001: Space Odyssey)

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,644 Posts
Don't you guys think it is past time to go brutal and put forward a proposal to outlaw any kind of screens inside the vehicles that have a steering wheel and need to be controlled by a human? Yes, even the screens mimicking the gauges in Audi - there is nothing wrong with analog gauges, they worked perfectly fine for 100 years.

It is just amazing to me how fast humans can go from a convenient tool to a weapon. Give monkey a bone and ... (see 2001: Space Odyssey)
+1 I drove my step son's Prius the other night and all the digital stuff on the dash and instrument panel was really distracting and confusing. I still wear an analog watch - much easier to just glance at it and tell the time.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts

+1 I drove my step son's Prius the other night and all the digital stuff on the dash and instrument panel was really distracting and confusing. I still wear an analog watch - much easier to just glance at it and tell the time.
I predict that map display in the instrument cluster of the new Audis will contribute to crashes in those cars.

·
Promethean
201 Posts

No. Save your moralizing for elsewhere.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Whats up everyone!!

1. Was told there is a chip to automate the folding of the sideview mirrors. Any threads on here regarding that?

2. Is their any way to watch dvds on the navigation screen?
  1. Yes, that is a matter of coding. It's personal preference whether it's automatic, or a long press of the keyfob / comfort access.
  2. Yes, this is usually allowed by default when the car is in park.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
No. Save your moralizing for elsewhere.
Bull$hit. It is not moralizing, it is about equal opportunities. If brain dead idiot can drive a car while looking at a movie, I want to be able to drive at 180 mph and not be assumed to be a danger to anybody if I do not hurt anybody.

It is a third-world country double standard and I am sick of it being defended just because there are more idiots who would drive while watching a movie than there are idiots who want to drive 180 mph without consequence. Because danger is about equal if not weighing towards the movie-watcher - assuming competent driver doing proper driving at 180 mph.

·
Promethean
201 Posts
Bull$hit. It is not moralizing, it is about equal opportunities. If brain dead idiot can drive a car while looking at a movie, I want to be able to drive at 180 mph and not be assumed to be a danger to anybody if I do not hurt anybody.

It is a third-world country double standard and I am sick of it being defended just because there are more idiots who would drive while watching a movie than there are idiots who want to drive 180 mph without consequence. Because danger is about equal if not weighing towards the movie-watcher - assuming competent driver doing proper driving at 180 mph.
But you are moralizing... even though your hormonal response might be preventing you from accepting that fact right now. The difference between having video on the navigation screen and driving on the street at 180 mph is that one behavior is legal, the other isn't. Once you've figured out which is which, feel free to take your grousing to the steps of your local state capitol, of find the address of your state rep and senator and take up your crusading there.

Personally I think video in the car is kind of silly... if pressed I might even agree that it can be (as opposed to being per se) dangerous. However the issue has been argued to death on this forum and shouldn't be re-flogged every time someone posts a thread asking about an in-dash video retrofit. What you really should be 'sick' of is your obnoxious use of the term "third-world" the offensive nature of which is clearly lost on you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts