BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pretty sure I got a hell of a deal yesterday: bought through Carmax in Burbank, CA. I'd looked at a 2007 with no options and 10k miles there, then noticed on their website another 2007 that mentioned sport and premium in their kinda generic features list with 7k miles at *the same price*. Had them transfer it in, got there--fully loaded, *including nav*, premium, sport, heated seats, 19" W-rated Pirellis. $30,998, Blue on Black. Well? Farking dealer in Thousand Oaks was trying to sell me a 2006 with 30k miles and less loaded for almost $28k--and tried to pass it off as a special deal because of my employer--before I found the price was the same on BMW's CPO site...

But that brings up the first question, buying used and not through a BMW dealer obviously mine's not CPO. The original 4 year/50k warranty transfers to me, right? What about the free maintenance? Are the extensions to either available to me and what's the cheapest anybody's gotten them for? Anybody recommend a third-party warranty instead?

So from what I've seen on here so far the voice command is only for the phone, useless for NAV? Any major improvements in updating NAV (didn't care for address entry the first time I used it, but maybe I'll get used to it)? Does the OS get updated automatically with the new NAV data? I was thinking I'd buy the '09 data when it comes out.

The dimming of the mirrors will take some getting used to, brightness was a part of judging distance for me in the past, especially for the side mirrors. Luckily there's the green tint to remind me, but it is an option to turn mirror dimming off if I can't get used to it?

Probably a stupid question (I haven't looked at it closely), but that big empty well under the hood (left side near windscreen), anybody use it to store anything? Wonder how hot it gets? I was thinking maybe my jumper cable bag would fit in there, seems like wasted space otherwise...

I think I'm missing a couple small things too:

I have a pile of manuals that all refer to a main owner's manual I don't seem to have. Tried to download on the BMWUSA site but the damn link goes to X5 with iDrive--worthless. Read through the 2006 manual last night, seemed very close. Anybody have the 2007 X3 in PDF they could send me? Should I contact local BMW dealer or BMW itself to get a physical one and how much will they charge me?

Didn't get the rear cargo cover. Have seen some on eBay for around $100-$150. Any more reliable sources, any cheaper?

In the toolkit on the left of the back, there's one space that looks empty, is there somewhere online that details what's supposed to be in there, maybe with reorder part numbers?

On the right side, the panel that indicates it covers a road triangle, there's none behind it--but I think I saw a reference somewhere that maybe USA X3's don't come with one? Which is it? Best place to buy them?

Found the info on pairing BT, worked great, even copied over my address book from my AT&T Tilt (Windows Mobile 6.1). Only seemed to get the first 2 numbers to a contact, and I wish there'd been some miracle that let it also pull in the addresses for the NAV.

Love the car so far. Haven't driven it much. Carmax doesn't detail the car worth crap so I may go do that today.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,694 Posts
be sure you read the first sticky... and congrats!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
be sure you read the first sticky... and congrats!
The transmission problems thread? I did, well, the first page or two and the last page or two... How do I know if I have the 5 or 6 speed auto? I *think* I only saw 5 gears when I played with manual briefly...

·
2,694 Posts
all X3s 07+ are 6 speed.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Below are a few answers in bold. (I gave up after a while, so maybe you should meet up with an existing X3 owner near you and take him/her out for a beer and advice. :D )

Pretty sure I got a hell of a deal yesterday: bought through Carmax in Burbank, CA. I'd looked at a 2007 with no options and 10k miles there, then noticed on their website another 2007 that mentioned sport and premium in their kinda generic features list with 7k miles at *the same price*. Had them transfer it in, got there--fully loaded, *including nav*, premium, sport, heated seats, 19" W-rated Pirellis. $30,998, Blue on Black. Well? Farking dealer in Thousand Oaks was trying to sell me a 2006 with 30k miles and less loaded for almost $28k--and tried to pass it off as a special deal because of my employer--before I found the price was the same on BMW's CPO site...

But that brings up the first question, buying used and not through a BMW dealer obviously mine's not CPO. The original 4 year/50k warranty transfers to me, right? What about the free maintenance? Are the extensions to either available to me and what's the cheapest anybody's gotten them for? Anybody recommend a third-party warranty instead?

So from what I've seen on here so far the voice command is only for the phone, useless for NAV?

Correct.

Any major improvements in updating NAV (didn't care for address entry the first time I used it, but maybe I'll get used to it)? Does the OS get updated automatically with the new NAV data?

No; they are separate.

I was thinking I'd buy the '09 data when it comes out.

Just my opinion, but probably not worth it unless you live in a new sub-division.

The dimming of the mirrors will take some getting used to, brightness was a part of judging distance for me in the past, especially for the side mirrors. Luckily there's the green tint to remind me, but it is an option to turn mirror dimming off if I can't get used to it?

No. However, you can control whether the R outside mirror dips on reverse.

Probably a stupid question (I haven't looked at it closely), but that big empty well under the hood (left side near windscreen), anybody use it to store anything? Wonder how hot it gets? I was thinking maybe my jumper cable bag would fit in there, seems like wasted space otherwise...

(a) Don't do that. (b) If we are referring to the same area, the optional alarm mounts behind that area.

I think I'm missing a couple small things too:

I have a pile of manuals that all refer to a main owner's manual I don't seem to have. Tried to download on the BMWUSA site but the damn link goes to X5 with iDrive--worthless. Read through the 2006 manual last night, seemed very close. Anybody have the 2007 X3 in PDF they could send me? Should I contact local BMW dealer or BMW itself to get a physical one and how much will they charge me?

Didn't get the rear cargo cover. Have seen some on eBay for around $100-$150. Any more reliable sources, any cheaper?

Look at BMW OEM online for the part number and search. (I have never seen an X3 without one.)

In the toolkit on the left of the back, there's one space that looks empty, is there somewhere online that details what's supposed to be in there, maybe with reorder part numbers?

There is one empty space on all X3s I have seen.

On the right side, the panel that indicates it covers a road triangle, there's none behind it--but I think I saw a reference somewhere that maybe USA X3's don't come with one? Which is it? Best place to buy them?

Not supplied in the US (except for cars that were originally delivered on tourist European Delivery.). Check with LeatherZ to see if they have the correct one. (BMW has had several sizes.) If they don't have it and you don't want to order one from Germany, get a universal truck triangle and adapt the mount.

Found the info on pairing BT, worked great, even copied over my address book from my AT&T Tilt (Windows Mobile 6.1). Only seemed to get the first 2 numbers to a contact, and I wish there'd been some miracle that let it also pull in the addresses for the NAV.

Not going to happen.

Love the car so far. Haven't driven it much. Carmax doesn't detail the car worth crap so I may go do that today.
I'm on my second X3--they can be very good. Have fun!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found some of my own answers.

I did take my car to be detailed, guess I have to pull out the camera tomorrow. Anyway, it took hours and there is a BMW dealership across from the place I went, so...

Asked to talk to somebody in Internet sales (commissioned salespeople usually put me on edge and didn't want to deal with one who resented me wasting his time). Guy I talked to was great, he could go on and on (but so can I) and he had plenty of useful info.

The two questions I was most eager to know the answers about : transferability of warranty and free service... I kinda expected the warranty to transfer, but both the warranty and service go with the car, so even without buying a CPO I have ~43k miles of warranty and service.

Rather than ushering me into his office to try to squeeze out the extensions I asked about, he said yes, they're available to me anytime before I hit 50k (technically even after but at prohibitive prices)--so what he would do is wait, see how many miles I'm putting on it and how long I want to keep it and buy close to the end, though the price goes up a little as I get further in.

He also recommended eBay for the missing manual and cover. First look found cargo area covers for $100-$150 on eBay, asked parts anyway and they said they're around $500, though hinted maybe as low as $300 while acknowledging eBay as a better option. Manual-only is about $60 or so, haven't ordered yet. Still hoping somebody on here can refer me to a great source. Also may try a parts yard, anybody know of any in the LA area with fairly recent BMWs?

Nice atmosphere, went to the new dealership in Valencia, California. It's great inside and has a little shop filled with BMW-logo schwag. They had wallets with the M\\ logo or the roundel, but I didn't like the design inside, damn.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Man, voice command is worthless...

So even in a loaded X3 the voice command *only* works for phone and--for a reason I can't begin to fathom--it has no access to the address book the stereo automagically copied over when I paired my phone...

Is there any reason whatsoever to long-press the speak button?

Oooh, I could give it a number to dial, digit by digit... except I don't know any damn numbers because I have address books built into my phone!

That's the only annoyance so far though. The place I had the car detailed is ~2 miles away, the trip added 70 miles to the odometer. Was fun, haven't noticed any transmission goofiness but man I need to learn how to drive better. Was on twisty roads and 6 years in a Jeep Liberty has conditioned me to be way too timid.

Also, I found the plastic 'wallet' key tucked into the gap in the passenger seat where the front support pulls out--I'd assumed I'd simply not have one of those!

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!
I got mine through CARMAX 3 weeks ago as well, it was a good experience. No pressure at all and you have "first row" visibility during the whole process. Prices are very good, but trade-ins values are extremely low though, (they wanted to give me $2000 for my 2001 Jetta VR6 (GLX, fully loaded, 17 wheels, leather, winter pkge, and basically all the features like sensed wipers, power seats, etc)that you see in BMW, it had 121,000 miles though. I sold it to a private party for $6000.00.
Iliked the fact that they give you 3 days to campare with other lenders and if you are approved a better int.rate they won't charge you any fee and will do the change to your new lender. Also, you can return the car for any reason during this period. That, plus the 30 day warranty.

Regarding your manual, and they won't tell you this but you need to act as you already know. Go to your dealer and order a full set of manuals, then take your receipt to the CARMAX" business office". They will reimburse you 100% of the cost. Keep in mind that you can order some of the supplements as well like the radio manual, telephone manual etc, I even ordered the leather case, to a total of more than $80.00, they said, "kind of expensive manual huh?" I replied, "hey, it's a BMW remember?"
Not all the contents of the factory supplied pack are available; like the CD, and misc. panflets. Carmax sent me a check in the mail. If it was less than $50.00 they'd gave me the cash right there.

Oh, and besides warranty and the maintenance program, you get to keep BMW assist and Roadside assistance too!

Here are the links to two BMW specific stores on ebay, they have nice stuff, but I guess searching independent sellers you could get better prices:

http://stores.ebay.com/PAUL-MILLER-BMW_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/SoCalMotorsport_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

And about driving an X3...you will be amazed what these little things can handle, I compare it hand -on-hand to our 325 Cic....

·
2,694 Posts
you can see the address book in the radio display. if you press the R/T button to activate that feature, then you select the entry using the up/down buttons and then press the "speaker" button for it to dial.

you can press and hold the speaker button, wait for the beep, and then say, "HELP," it will speak the options you have available.

what is your email, i can email you the manual.

So even in a loaded X3 the voice command *only* works for phone and--for a reason I can't begin to fathom--it has no access to the address book the stereo automagically copied over when I paired my phone...

Oooh, I could give it a number to dial, digit by digit... except I don't know any damn numbers because I have address books built into my phone!

That's the only annoyance so far though. The place I had the car detailed is ~2 miles away, the trip added 70 miles to the odometer. Was fun, haven't noticed any transmission goofiness but man I need to learn how to drive better. Was on twisty roads and 6 years in a Jeep Liberty has conditioned me to be way too timid.

Also, I found the plastic 'wallet' key tucked into the gap in the passenger seat where the front support pulls out--I'd assumed I'd simply not have one of those!

·
Registered
341 Posts

I actually do this quite often to dial names and numbers I have saved to my X3. I don't like to scroll through my long contact list via bluetooth on my iPhone, so I've saved my husband's number and those of friends and family in my X3. After a long press on the voice command button, I say "Dial Name" and say the name at the prompt, and then it dials through my phone. Not perfect, since you have to save the names and numbers in advance versus it being able to read the contacts by voice from your cell phone's contact list, but it's far better than scrolling through my contact list and then selecting the right number.

In case you didn't know, a short press on the voice command button redials the last number called - this can be handy shortcut as well.

Enjoy your new X3!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's agreed: Carmax rocks!

X3-terrestrial, it's funny how similar our experiences were!! I also traded in a car with 121,000 miles! It was a loaded '02 Jeep Liberty, and I also felt the value was low (though your value was in the basement--which is weird because friends that traded in German and Japanese cars at the Burbank lot were both surprised by how *high* the value was!) but I took it because my A/C had just failed and the pulley on the compressor sounded like it was going to fall off at any minute--last thing I wanted to deal with was a broken master belt. Still, the $4000 I got wasn't bad for a gas hog with broken A/C right at a time of high temps and gas prices... but damn it, it was in great condition with 5 matched newer tires! I loved that Jeep. Chrysler's service department was deplorable though, as was what Daimler did to them, so I'd not buy another.

I really liked Carmax's whole sales process, didn't even go in to be sold--just wanted an appraisal on my car because I didn't expect the dealer I was considering a CPO at to be very enthusiastic. Only looked through their website because there was nothing else to do while I waited for the appraisal, and when I saw they had an X3 on the lot I asked to see and test drive it mostly to kill time. The value was so obvious I was tempted that night--thank god my title was at home and I noticed the even better car on their site the next day as I was getting ready to buy. A little bit of drama getting it transfered in, it got inventory (as opposed to customer--thank god) transfered from the Carmax 25 miles away to one significantly further away *just* before I called my salesman, so it went from Duarte to Ontario to Burbank in the 12 hours before I bought it. I still don't know how they screwed up the price so bad to have this one for the same as a stripped one with 3k more miles...

It seemed to me, having worked commissioned sales long ago and having used carbuyingtips.com to buy my last two cars that every single point where Carmax could try to screw you they go out of their way to be beyond fair. No pressure, no B/S, no catching the salesman in lies--I started to get anxious when we had to go to the business office for final signing--was sure that's where the high pressure BS would come in (like 'finance offices' at dealerships), nope. 5 days to cancel the deal and turn the car back in for any reason, even in states with no cooling off period... were they always this great or did they get some really bad press/lawsuits long ago?

Their financing options seemed lackluster though. Very fair with the automatic 3-day option you mentioned, but there was no way I was paying anything around 7% when I'd just been thinking 0.9% at dealership (though that was '05-'06 only, but those two paid payments would've been nice, was going to do 36 months to maximize it). Ended up going with a credit union at 4.9%.

Great news on the manual!! The only thing is I signed/initialed that I got a manual (fraking road atlas and 2-3 other worthless books!), but I'll try that anyway. Thanks!

Yeah, the guy at the BMW dealership mentioned BMW assist, and that it's free for 4 years or so (I though that was new for 2008--that it was 1 year free before) so I guess I'll press the button and sign up.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Critic, looks like you got all your questions answered. I too don't like self dimming mirrors so don't have them. The cargo cover came out the day I brought home the X3 and has been untouched in my garage ever since. I suspect the one that went with your car is in the previous owner's garage and they forgot to put it in. Or, they may have sold it on Ebay! Anyway, I find those covers on my SUV/SAV's a pain as I carry "stuff" in my cargo area and it limits the height of things you can put back there. My point being, you won't miss it in day to day operations. Since you found a helpful BMW store you might ask them to run the VIN on yours to see what has been done to it repair-wise and other useful information. Always nice to know. Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've printed out the reference sheet floating around here that shows a boatload more commands than we have available, and I've said help. I could put in a couple names just to be able to use the system... but my cell phone actually has *good* voice command, so I can always just push it's button and tell it who to call.

I've used the buttons to dial from the addr. book, but my Windows Mobile phone had the Outlook address book I've been building up for years, so I have to go through and get rid of a lot of entries copied over to the car that I don't need at my fingertips. If I delete them from the car's address book is there a danger it will re-sync them back in at some point, or does it only copy the phone's address book over on initial pairing? Or are they not treated as separate address books?

I just PMed you my email addr. Thanks!

you can see the address book in the radio display. if you press the R/T button to activate that feature, then you select the entry using the up/down buttons and then press the "speaker" button for it to dial.

you can press and hold the speaker button, wait for the beep, and then say, "HELP," it will speak the options you have available.

what is your email, i can email you the manual.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I had a cover in my Jeep, it wasn't hard to pop off and find space for when I had need to fold down the seats and use more space. I could really use one because I tend to carry a couple bags of IT tools for work and it's too easy to see stuff (privacy glass... riiight). I don't want to give anybody a reason to break in. A relative's car was just broken into to steal a binder of CDs... who's still stealing CDs? The window replacement will cost much more than they'd ever be worth...

Don't suppose your unused cover is black and you want to sell it? :angel:

Good point on the VIN maintenance record, though at ~6600 miles I'd expect it to be empty... I'll have to remember to ask to see it when I go in for the first service.

Critic, looks like you got all your questions answered. I too don't like self dimming mirrors so don't have them. The cargo cover came out the day I brought home the X3 and has been untouched in my garage ever since. I suspect the one that went with your car is in the previous owner's garage and they forgot to put it in. Or, they may have sold it on Ebay! Anyway, I find those covers on my SUV/SAV's a pain as I carry "stuff" in my cargo area and it limits the height of things you can put back there. My point being, you won't miss it in day to day operations. Since you found a helpful BMW store you might ask them to run the VIN on yours to see what has been done to it repair-wise and other useful information. Always nice to know. Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
At this rate I'll *never* need to fill up! ;oP

Ok, so I've driven it about 80 miles and the distance to empty has kept *going up*!

Which is good, because I was bummed about the ~280 reported range on a full tank when I got it... Does it just not like to report 3xx miles? Did the previous driver have a cinderblock instead of a foot?

How many miles does everybody else get to a full tank? Much mileage difference between Premium, CA Premium (91) or standard 87?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
I've been getting about 20.4 mpg on my 2 first tanks, I'm on my third now. The miles 'til full will change depending on your driving style during the pprevious 20 minutes or so. I havent gone more than 315 miles on a tank and that's maaybe 50/50 driving, and I'm what some call "spitirited" driver. The higher I've got on the miles until empty is 420, but that's constantly changing.
You can reset the MPG counter when on that screen, pushing the button on your stalk for more than 2 seconds, you can do the same with the avge. MPH screen.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Critic in the SoCal OpAreas you will probably be getting right around 20-22 mpg given the standard traffic pattern down there (go like heck, stop and go, go like heck, etc.). I get right around 400 miles to a tank give or take a few. I notice that at 50 miles to go the low fuel light goes on. The clown nose is also a mirror dimmer switch, turning it dims the rear view mirror, or at least it is on mine with is a non self dimmer. Sorry my cover is not for sale, I am keeping the package intact for the next owner.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok, so I've driven it about 80 miles and the distance to empty has kept *going up*!

Which is good, because I was bummed about the ~280 reported range on a full tank when I got it... Does it just not like to report 3xx miles? Did the previous driver have a cinderblock instead of a foot?

How many miles does everybody else get to a full tank? Much mileage difference between Premium, CA Premium (91) or standard 87?
AFAIK BMW recommends only premium gas for X3. Honestly, I have not tried lower grade gas in X3, but have done that in other cars, and the difference in price between the regular/premium was offset by lower performance with regular gas.

As far as MPGs go, city only driving gives us around 16.6 - 17 MPG, according to the computer. We have seen as high as 20 MPG 70% - highway; 30% - city.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

Never seen this discussed before ...
It's probably not BMW-approved, but I have kept a hardshell toolkit (for bicycle repair) in there, with a roll of shop towels, for the past 4 years with no ill effect. It is a deep well, and the rubber flange seals against the underside of the hood. I would say the only caveats are don't put anything in that may rattle around, or of course, anything too tall that would impact the hood closing. One day, I'll try storing a 6-pack of English beer in there, and judge how warm it gets.

The space in the toolkit has been discussed before.
The consensus is that a $5 BMW "wheel pin" 71-11-1-093-774 can fit in there. Seems they discontinued a spark plug wrench that used that, or a very similar item, as a handle some years ago. Not just the X3, but other models still have that empty slot. Unfortunately, the tool is a bit too lightweight to use when mounting a wheel. Some people have used 2 of them with greater success. Others argue that the rim and hub design makes such an aid redundant.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts