BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, that was fun! I think my favorite part was doing a four wheel slide through one of the turns. Relative to everyone else there, I was quite slow. Doesn?t bother me. It was my first day and my times did decrease a bit as the day went one. And my car hit 5,000 miles during one of the runs.

·
Addicted To Autocross
191 Posts
Doesn't Matter How You Did The First Time...

The point is you took it out there to find out what a BMW is capable of and I'm glad to hear you had fun doing it. Its not a cheap sport if you want to do it regularly as the tire wear will eventually eat into the wallet, but I still recommend it.

Upgrade the driver first. Cheapest and best mod you could ever make to your car and a driving event is a good way to do it. :thumb:

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I was just there to have fun- and I did.

I think many of the people there had some driving shools under their belts. So that might explain their low times. As much as I'd like to explain the differences on their M3's. ;) I'm quite sure they could have done much better with my car. So, yeah, maybe this is the start of wanting to do such things more. Like more autocrosses and a driver's schools. I did enjoy it. :)

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nate328Ci said:
How were the open differentials? Did you turn off ADB?

I got hampered badly by the open diff on many turns and my cluch drop starts. Too much slip :eek:
Yes, I did turn off the DSC. My tires were sliding around a fair bit and I didn't want the DSC to kick in and slow it down. (I've got a 325xi with the AWD sport package 17" Goodyear Eagle RSA's.) I must admit to really enjoying a 4 wheel slide in one of the turns. I'd imagine that my times would be faster if the car was planted to the ground better (tires/wheels?), but it was fun.

For differentials... Honestly, I have no idea. This was the first time I ever drove even a little hard in any car. So I have nothing to compare it to. That and I really don't know what open differentials are. Feel free to enlighten me. :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
JonW said:

Yes, I did turn off the DSC. My tires were sliding around a fair bit and I didn't want the DSC to kick in and slow it down. (I've got a 325xi with the AWD sport package 17" Goodyear Eagle RSA's.) I must admit to really enjoying a 4 wheel slide in one of the turns. I'd imagine that my times would be faster if the car was planted to the ground better (tires/wheels?), but it was fun.

For differentials... Honestly, I have no idea. This was the first time I ever drove even a little hard in any car. So I have nothing to compare it to. That and I really don't know what open differentials are. Feel free to enlighten me. :)
Limited slip differentials more efficiently distrubute power to the wheels by limiting the amout of slip variance

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts