BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so maybe I'm the only one who didnt know about this, but no one at the delivery center or dealership told me about this pull handle on the inside of my trunk! Being anal, I hated having to touch the outside of my trunk lid to close it.. you know, fingerprints on a newly washed car. :mad:

The handle is in the middle of the inside of the trunk. Just pull, and somehow it is perfectly weighted to close the trunk completely, allowing the automatic lock to "suck in" the rest of the trunk! So magical! :rofl:

If you already knew about this.. flame away at my lameness! haha. If not... then add it to the list of features you never knew about!

-M

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK, so maybe I'm the only one who didnt know about this, but no one at the delivery center or dealership told me about this pull handle on the inside of my trunk! Being anal, I hated having to touch the outside of my trunk lid to close it.. you know, fingerprints on a newly washed car. :mad:

The handle is in the middle of the inside of the trunk. Just pull, and somehow it is perfectly weighted to close the trunk completely, allowing the automatic lock to "suck in" the rest of the trunk! So magical! :rofl:

If you already knew about this.. flame away at my lameness! haha. If not... then add it to the list of features you never knew about!

-M
:flame:

Seriously, I love that handle. My old coupe had one too, and I managed to break my wife of touching the outside of the trunk to close it on that car. I find that a firm hand on the center of the license plate works equally well.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Thanks - never realized that and used it for the first time today and it is so much better than my hand slipping off the license plate or whatever else I can push on that won't leave marks all over my trunk lid - guess I should read the manual - it probably would have told me too - but it is more fun hanging out reading stuff here!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice when the car is real dirty. George

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you already knew about this.. flame away at my lameness! haha.

Just kidding :) I have an E90, and that has the handles in the trunk, so I assumed they all did and were fairly obvious. But now that I think about it, I think my dealer showed it to me when I first test drove it. I think the E90's have one on each side though... I should know this but it's one of those things I do without thinking, so don't even remember.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I already knew this, but mainly because the X3 has something similar inside the rear tailgate as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Um, I already knew this bc my 540i had one, but

the 540i is in an awkward location to one side, and further toward the rear window. You have to pull down hard (the 540 trunklid is heavier than the E93) and get your hand out quickly as the extra weight makes it drop very quickly.

The balance of the E93 trunklid is very nice. I wonder if that was designed in or just the way it ended up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is my 5th BMW and I just learned about this...lol

Not a big deal. If car is dirty you still have to touch under the trunk to open it anyway. I just pulled out the green handle in the trunk trying to grab to it, before I realized the handle you guys are talking about is a depression in the trunk covering.:rofl: The coupe has two; one on either side of the latch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I feel stupid. I had been lamenting the fact that my E350 coupe had a trunk pull handle and that the E93 did not. Thanks for the tip. Checkd mine this morning and sure enough it is there.

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
And here I thought it's a cookie cutter... for my BMW gift with purchase ;)

·
8D
745 Posts
I knew about this since day 1... :rofl: All the cars have this "pull" inside the trunk these days. but good thing about E93 is that pulling it down slightly will lock the trunk.

I wonder what happened to retractable lever around licence plate. Also the soft closing trunk lid. Considering all the features available today, it is kind of odd that those things just disappeared.

·
Random Helpbot
964 Posts
The handle is in the middle of the inside of the trunk. Just pull, and somehow it is perfectly weighted to close the trunk completely, allowing the automatic lock to "suck in" the rest of the trunk! So magical!
My wife and I each had to practice the pull-close a couple of times before we stopped smacking our wrists with the edge of the trunk lid on its way down. It's a timing thing. :)

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
My wife and I each had to practice the pull-close a couple of times before we stopped smacking our wrists with the edge of the trunk lid on its way down. It's a timing thing. :)
OUCH! I've done that once or twice and wondered if I was going to end up with the nickname "Lefty", (except it was my left hand that got caught). :rofl::rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice discovery. The prints on the bottom of the trunck have been catching my eye lately and i've been thinking of new places to close it. My '06 E90 has 2 handles :thumbup: Thanks

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
OUCH! I've done that once or twice and wondered if I was going to end up with the nickname "Lefty", (except it was my left hand that got caught). :rofl::rolleyes:
I have found the best way is to use the inside handle to start, and then grab the rear license plate and close the trunk the rest of the way. You can also maintain control over how fast the trunk lid closes. Disclaimer: I have a sedan, so the weight (and tension) of the trunk lid may be different.

:drive:

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have found the best way is to use the inside handle to start, and then grab the rear license plate and close the trunk the rest of the way. You can also maintain control over how fast the trunk lid closes. Disclaimer: I have a sedan, so the weight (and tension) of the trunk lid may be different.

:drive:
:) The trunk lid on the E93 is very heavy relative to the E90 loaner I had back in August. I tend to bring the lid down to an almost closed position with the handle inside, then let it suck itself down. It sort of has a mind of its own after a certain point.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok, maybe I am a total idiot, but I think this pull is a trunk release that actually opens the truck in the highly unlikely event that someone gets shut inside. ??? In my E92 (that's coupe) there are two recessed "handles" on either side. It's a breeze to shut the trunk with these and I've never smacked my wrist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok, maybe I am a total idiot, but I think this pull is a trunk release that actually opens the truck in the highly unlikely event that someone gets shut inside. ??? In my E92 (that's coupe) there are two recessed "handles" on either side. It's a breeze to shut the trunk with these and I've never smacked my wrist.
Your right, that pull triangle thing is a door release from the inside.

The grooves in the door hatch are a poor excuse for a way to close the trunk. On my new e90d I have to curl my arm under the trunk and almost shut it closed. Its awkward.foot, so maybe its just low for me. Then gently push down on the license plate. Trying to time it so close would take my hand off. Maybe its just still too new, or I'm too tall? Germans are tall people.

The problem is... passengers. They grab the top of the trunk and slam it shut! ARGHHHH! Rings on the same hand scratches it!

I always felt this was an area that BMW never payed much attention too. Even on my X3, they didn't have an auto close, when a Ford Escape did. Its not because I don't mind using muscle. It is too much muscle from passengers that is the problem!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.