BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

First, this is an awesome board. I'm new to BMW, but I've hung around some chevy boards in the past, and you guys have some great knowledge here.

I just purchased a 2007 760Li with some miles on it. From what I can tell, with the help of the VIN lookup site, it has every option. Rear entertainment, coolbox, night vision, active cruise. I think the paint was even an "Individual" option. It seems to run great, but there are a couple little things that I'm trying to work out.

Comfort Access doesn't seem to work at all. I've checked the battery in the remote and it seems fine. I swapped it with another battery, but that made no different. I've tried it with the windows down because it is tinted, but no luck. It doesn't work on the door handles or for the ignition; the key must be in the slot to get it to start. I tried some key resyncing steps I found here, but I couldn't make it through the instructions. My best efforts didn't seem to help.

Some more background, and tell me if I'm headed in the right direction; I'm told the liquid-cooled alternator was replaced recently. When I got the car, I had to set the clock. This makes me think there could be something going on with the battery and it needs to be synced to the car. I saw another thread where someone was complaining about the cd and/or dvd changer cycling through all the slots when the car was unlocked, and it was mentioned that the battery could cause that, too. Well, mine's cycling through the cd and dvd magazines, but I didn't know any better. What do you think? Could it simply be the battery? Or does the key just need to be re-synced?

On that note, can someone help me understand the cables and software used for working on the car? It looks like I need an EDIABAS cable and the SSS software to sync the battery. Or do I need GT1 or DIS to do that? And are the $35 offerings on ebay legitimate, or should I find a different source?

Also, do you have any recommendations for initiating my new old car? I plan to run a bottle of seafoam through the gas tank, but the service screen shows that everything else is up to date. Any tips to make sure it's running right?

And finally, do you recommend any specific tires? It has Pirelli P-Zero run flats on it, but the rear are bald. I'm not sure why it has run-flats since it has a full-size spare and a jack. I'm looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS's or Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS's. I think the Bridgestones will be the best combination of performance, ride, and life, but the tire shops are recommending Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's or Michelin Pilot Primacy's. What do you all suggest?

Sorry for all the questions in one thread. You can probably tell that I'm really excited about my first BMW. I figured I should get it all out there rather than carpet bomb the forum with multiple threads. Thanks!

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and one more question. I've seen the Park Distance Control show an image on the screen when I rented a BWM in Germany. Mine just beeps. Should I see the Red/Yellow/Green screen when it's on, or is there some setting I need to adjust?

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Oh, and one more question. I've seen the Park Distance Control show an image on the screen when I rented a BWM in Germany. Mine just beeps. Should I see the Red/Yellow/Green screen when it's on, or is there some setting I need to adjust?
There is an option in the settings menu to show the car. Look in I drive for it. Does you car have chrome handles? If it does not then you do not have comfort access. If you do have chrome handles your key may need to be programmed. I have heard of comfort access not working on the doors but never to start the car unless the keys are not programmed.

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is an option in the settings menu to show the car. Look in I drive for it. Does you car have chrome handles? If it does not then you do not have comfort access. If you do have chrome handles your key may need to be programmed. I have heard of comfort access not working on the doors but never to start the car unless the keys are not programmed.
Yup, it has the chrome handles and the remote with the battery door. I was thinking maybe the key just wasn't programmed correctly, but why would it start the car? I might just order an extra key from the dealer and have them deal with it.

Thanks for the information about the setting. I'll look for it in the morning.

· Maintainin'
1,130 Posts
The key needs to be programed in order for Comfort Access to work, my car is equiped with CA and I didn't know until 1 year after purchase when I looked at the sticker. The key will work fine for starting, locking, unlocking and basic functions but comfort access need to be programmed. I took it to the dealer to find out whats up with it and SA said it just needed to be programmed, cost me $150 to get it done and ever since then it worked like a charm and I never had an issue yet, so get I suggest you take it in and get it programmed.

As far as your battery issue, the first thing you sould do is get it tested. Take it to AutoZone or whatever auto parts franchise you have in your town and get it tested for free or do it yourself if you know. That should give you an idea if your battery is in fact bad or if it just needs to be registered to your car.

If you are interested I can hook you up with someone that sells the Dashsoft kit that Ace uses (I'm sure you've seen some of his post and all the stuff he is able to do with it) I just purchased mine for $200 which is about $30-$50 less than what is offered elsware. I haven't used mine yet but it looks very simple compared to the others out there and there are allot of guys on here that say the same.

I'm no expert on tires myself and I'm looking for a set for mine right now, I'm thinking Kumho all weather since I live in the south but I'm still doing my research. Check out the Tire Rack section on here see if they can help.

Welcome and good luck.

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys!

Despite my earlier efforts, the car told me the remote battery was low last night. I'm getting a new one and we'll see if that helps with the CA issue.

I ended up buying a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's yesterday, to be installed next week. Appearently, since we have staggered wheels and the tires can't be rotated, most tire manufacturers won't honor a warranty anyway. Some will honor half the warranty, but Kuhmo is the only one I was able to find in writing.

· Registered
57 Posts
Hi all, I just bought my 7 a week ago (07 750li) and ran into the CA issue just last night. I immediately searched this forum via my Galaxy 3 cellphone and found several post of members complaining. Anyhow, I found one where a fest member suggested doing a 10second key hold with two different variations of the technique. I tried both to no avail .. So just as I was about to give up and sulk about my CA going bad I came across a smaller post here. In this post one fest member suggests checking the fuses which was nearly impossible for me because it was like 1am pitch black dark out. So I just pressed all the fuses in by hand (without removing!) and suddenly it was back working! Maybe it was a combination of me trying the key rest method like 5 times and pressing the fuses? I dunno, nonetheless it's back working *crosses fingers* hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.