BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
865Euro
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my first BMW! It is a 1992 BMW 525i (E34, 2.5 Straight 6, 5- Speed)! Long story short I traded a 1996 Yamaha FZR600 that was in rough shape for it. The BMW runs and drives perfectly with roughly 167,000 miles. All stock except a custom header and full exhaust (Custom Header->Resonator->Y-Pipe_>Dual Cherry Bombs->Dual Outlet) and eBay Special Lowering Springs Haha! My friend also gave me a Hydraulic E-Brake with the Reservoir but it isn't on the car. I also just put a brand new battery in the car. I basically paid $350.00 for the car because that is all I had in the motorcycle. The cons of the car is the windows don't work (Motors are fine but windows don't move), radio says "Code" (I know the Code but it won't reset, can I just plug up a aftermarket radio?) The thing beside that radio that says average MPG and stuff (sorry I do not know the name) is not bright, can only be seen at night, the odometer and stuff is hard to see also, rarely seen at night, and the closest cylinder near the firewall gets water in the plug area whenever it rains and misses. Besides that everything else works. I have receipts for some valve and head work not done to long ago to the car. I planned on changing all the fluids, plugs, ignition coils, fix the windows, new radio, new tires on possibly newer snowflake style wheels (recommendations welcome), and just some clean up things to the car. Anyone have recommendations on what I should do to the car? Anything from easy cheap mods, to wheels, anything basically that you can think of. I will try to include a picture of the car so you can see it. Thank you all! I will also try and post updates on what I do!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Do the sunroof and power seats work? If not, your windows problem could be as simple as the fusible link (strip fuse) next to the battery. Trace the narrow positive lead coming off the battery post to a housing mounted on the floor under the seat -- it should be only a foot or so from the battery. That's where the link resides.

·
865Euro
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Mr. Graybeard I already did that, they didn't work before but do now. Windows still do not work. I know for a face that the window motors work because you can hear them. The passenger side window was out of track but I have to replace the little white plastic piece that holds it in place.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You've done some troubleshooting then. Good for you. If the motors are running (or you can hear them click) but the windows don't move, you're probably going to have to pull the panels to see what's going on. You could try thumping each panel with your fist while pushing the switch to see if you can jar the motor into action. Sometimes the gears in the motor unit bind up or get jammed with debris. I've fixed motor gears in place by prying the cover off the gearbox and freeing them up. You can find some examples of the procedure on YouTube.

·
865Euro
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Mr. Graybeard Yeah I have the front two door panels off I just need to find out what is holding them up haha

·
Registered
794 Posts
Regulators

Window regulators are a common weak point on these cars. If your motors are running that is good, if you do have to replace the regulators, they are a lot cheaper without the motors. Good luck, I know how fun it is working inside these doors. While you are in there, be sure and lube the insides of the door checks, if they break they wont let you close the door till replaced :yikes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
To enter the code in your radio, you need to have the radio powered and on for over an hour. This is a feature of the head unit, after 3 failed code entries it won't accept another until the unit is on and waiting for hour. IMO after market head units sound like crap with the stock amp and speakers.

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1

To enter the code in your radio, you need to have the radio powered and on for over an hour. This is a feature of the head unit, after 3 failed code entries it won't accept another until the unit is on and waiting for hour. IMO after market head units sound like crap with the stock amp and speakers.
I agree, I have been impressed not only with the sound of the stock radio in my 530I, but also how well it held up over 22 years. When I replaced my struts a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed at how the rear speakers still looked good, the speaker surrounds were all still intact!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm kinda the odd duck in that prior to worrying about the radio or window regulators/motors in a new to me car I worry about changing all the fluids, (motor oil, tranny and differential) first, plugs and then attended to the leaky engine bay seal. All the other stuff is secondary because if the car doesn't run, well, what good does all the other stuff do you?

·
Registered
794 Posts
First

I'm kinda the odd duck in that prior to worrying about the radio or window regulators/motors in a new to me car I worry about changing all the fluids, (motor oil, tranny and differential) first, plugs and then attended to the leaky engine bay seal. All the other stuff is secondary because if the car doesn't run, well, what good does all the other stuff do you?
Yes, but if you don't fix those things first, you will want to be able to roll up the windows to keep out the rain and be able to listen to the radio while you wait for the tow truck (LOL)

·
Registered
841 Posts
You can pick up the plastic window regulator slides at Napa for $3 as I recall. They are very cheaply made, even when OE. BMW really sucks at windows and door locks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts