BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up Dinan asking about their rims because I have their stage-II suspension and wanted to hear their pitch.

anyway, for my first question, I asked if the wheels were made by Fikse and they confirmed it. I also asked what the difference was between theirs and the Fikses. the Dinan wheels are specially machiend to take a custom hub spacer (a $250 option) that will allow you to install up to 255-40/17 all the way around. otherwise the largest tire you can install on these rims is 245/40-17 all the way around. his claim was that no other wheel allows for this (I guess unless I have my own set custom made by Fikse). he included looks and "the dinan logo" as other advantages.

get this... he said that out of all the cars that he's seen these wheels on, they look best on the E46 (which I told him I had in the beginning of the conversation). what a slime ball. :lmao:

when I asked why they don't offer the wheels in 18" size, he gave me more sales spew but the only reason decreased ride comfort due to shorter sidewalls. personally, I'm not sure how the ride would change much between a 17" 40 series tire and a 18" 40 series tire. he did clarify that he was refering to a 35 series 18" rim.

we went on to discuss tire options. they are recommending pilot sports over the S-03s because they claim the bridgestones are noisier and have uneven wear patterns.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Did you find out how much they weigh? They are sooo expensive though. I have never heard of anyone putting 255s on the front, but I guess it can be done with spacers. I bet that would make a huge difference on the handling of the car. Lot more grip and less understeer.

He is partially right about the tires. The Pilot Sports are much quieter than the S-03s. Ride better too. As for uneven wear :dunno:

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn't get the weight. I had inteneded on asking but it slipped my mind. the rims are $900 EACH!! at least mounting and ballancing is included (they are a tirerack drop ship location too).

:lmao: hahaha the same wheels are on the main fikse web page:

http://www.fikse.com/

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
31st330i said:
I didn't get the weight. I had inteneded on asking but it slipped my mind. the rims are $900 EACH!! at least mounting and ballancing is included (they are a tirerack drop ship location too).

:lmao: hahaha the same wheels are on the main fikse web page:

http://www.fikse.com/
The Fiske Mach V looks the same as their 18" wheel. I know they are very light, but $900 :yikes:

Good idea if you want to put 255s on front though :dunno:

The prices on Fiske's site aren't cheap either :yikes:

Generally, prices range from $649.00 for some limited fitments to $1,295.00 retail per wheel. Dealer discounts are available to credentialed dealers. Race teams may enroll in our TeamFikse race support program, which offers discounts and extended support services to teams racing in those series we target each year.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... hehehe... I was just reading that page.

I'm gonna wait for the 18" BBS CH rims that are due out next month in BMW fitments. I wonder if I can 245s up front (all the way around), though? :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
31st330i said:
yeah... hehehe... I was just reading that page.

I'm gonna wait for the 18" BBS CH rims that are due out next month in BMW fitments. I wonder if I can 245s up front (all the way around), though? :dunno:
I think that 235 is the largest without spacers :dunno:

I think that BBS is coming out with 18" LMs :thumb:

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: just got off the phone with Dinan regarding new wheels/tires....

___lk___ said:
because you cant use a 40 on the 18's...u gotta drop down to keep overall diameter the same
I don't think anyone offers a 235/35-18 tire, though.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Custom hub spacer???? :p How complex can a spacer design be?? :eek:

Anyhoo, Fiske are forged wheels and hence the horrendous pricings. Forging is no doubt the best manufacturing process out there for wheels. But without locking wheel caps, forged wheels are targets of car thieves.

See this HRE, which I would love to have for forged wheels. 20-spokes..and yummy!

But...no locking wheel caps...blah! :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Custom hub spacer???? :p How complex can a spacer design be?? :eek:

Anyhoo, Fiske are forged wheels and hence the horrendous pricings. Forging is no doubt the best manufacturing process out there for wheels. But without locking wheel caps, forged wheels are targets of car thieves.

See this HRE, which I would love to have for forged wheels. 20-spokes..and yummy!

But...no locking wheel caps...blah! :p
Can't you just buy wheel locks? :dunno:

Forged wheels are :bigpimp:

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how does a lug cover protect wheels from getting stolen anymore than locking lug nuts? using both is an intersting concept as it may detur thieves due to time investment.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
ahem...:confused:

The Alpina locking caps have to be opened by a numbered key supplied by Alpina. And er..even to gain access to the keyhole, you have to remove the keycap with a special tool, from Alpina of course. Why do you think I spent almost 35mins at the gas station just to check my air pressure? :D

31st330i said:
how does a lug cover protect wheels from getting stolen anymore than locking lug nuts? using both is an intersting concept as it may detur thieves due to time investment.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

The Alpina locking caps have to be opened by a numbered key supplied by Alpina. And er..even to gain access to the keyhole, you have to remove the keycap with a special tool, from Alpina of course. Why do you think I spent almost 35mins at the gas station just to check my air pressure? :D

What? You mean the air cap is locked too? :dunno:

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

a battery powered drill can defeat the whole cover very quickly. probably more quickly than pounding an old socked over locking lug nuts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.