BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted here for a while so I feel like adding a post since I just came back from service an hour ago.

Tuesday night the left rear window regulator broke........I had no warning sign at all.....Try to open it and heard this nasty cracking/popping noise and it is dead........it will move may be 1/2 inch with 1 up down cycle......The strange thing is it is the least used windows of the whole car........go figure.......

Called dealer yesterday and got the car there this morning.......together with the first schedules oil service it is done in about 2.5 hour timeframe......picked it up after lunch.

Windows regulator parts# 51-35-8-212-099 replaced.
2001 330i 14800 miles. I now hear a few clicks sound when the window goes down at certain point but I will just see if it goes away later....no biggie..

Can someone who has their window regulator replaced confirm if they get the same parts#???
My service advisor told me it is the same regulator part used as the original so not sure if it will last .......

Not a very interesting post but here it is.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I had a total of seven window regulators replaced on my 2000 328i, but I'm sorry I don't still have the service slips with the part number. I did check as mine were being replaced and the part numbers (for those replaced more than once) were the same.

A co-worker has a 2001 325i and has had four or five replaced also. I have not seen any posts from 2002 MY owners about this problem.

Mine starting going out when the car was just a few months old, and it was a trip to the dealer every three or four months for another window the whole time I owned the car.

My dealer says the problem is much worse in hotter climates (I'm in Southern California desert) and even more of a problem with darker colors; apparently gets hotter inside the door.

It certainly is not a matter of anything wearing out. We have no kids and the back windows did not get used more than once a month or so, and they went out also.

Hope my 2003 330i does not have this problem. :dunno:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Yes I've had three replaced in my car, 2001 325i. I asked the service rep if the regulator has been redesigned or am I going to have them replaced every year... he told me that it has been redesigned... I don't know if I believe him or not.

I guess I'll find out in a year or two.:tsk:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That really sucks to have to replace 7 window regulators.........

I asked and my service advisor said it has not been redesigned........

We just had a bad storm last weekend in the Bay area so I had some sticky tape ready in the car Tuesday night when after it broke......I will have that plus clear plastic bags ready in the trunk anytime from now!!!!

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
I've had three replaced, the first one was one of the back windows that was rarely rolled down. The service advisor told me it was due to the heat here in Phoenix. I guess that was the only way he could rationalize it for me. I'm hoping the last one will go soon before my warrantee expires.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apare328i:

If it is not too much trouble can you check if you still have the part# of your replacement regulator??? Thanks....

Mine broke in a chilling night after a rain storm so I don't buy that heat theory......

·
Registered
14 Posts
window regulators/window noise

I've had both the front driver and passenger window regulators replaced in the past month (my car is black and I live in Atlanta but it is not very hot this time of year)

I drive a 2000 323iT and I don't know whether the parts are the same for your car
driver side part #51-33-7-020-659
passenger side part#51-33-7-020-660

Now the driver side window squeaks/grinds when it goes up and down - sounds like nails on a chalkboard. The dealer told me the guide and glass were dirty. They cleaned both and the noise stopped, but one day later the noise was back. The dealer told me it was due to wax on the window but the noise started after they replaced the regulator (and I don't put anything on my windows, let alone wax.)

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
From my experience (three window regulators replaced) this is the first sign the regulator is going to fail... I give it about another week of regular use before the window will stop.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Artslinger said:
From my experience (three window regulators replaced) this is the first sign the regulator is going to fail... I give it about another week of regular use before the window will stop.
I agree... once it starts making that noise... the window regulator is history and should be replaced. Insist on it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll keep my eye on it. Hard to believe since the replacement driver's side regulator was installed only two weeks ago. Oh well, last time I got a Z3 loaner on a sunny warm day so it isn't all bad.

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
GTI said:
Apare328i:

If it is not too much trouble can you check if you still have the part# of your replacement regulator??? Thanks....

Mine broke in a chilling night after a rain storm so I don't buy that heat theory......
Here you go: 51-35-8-212-100

I think the heat reasoning is a crock of shit. When my front drivers side went bad it gave me a little advanced warning. I heard that hideous scratching sound and grinding glass sound. Fortunately I was able to get my window up and leave it there until I could get it into the shop. I guess I should feel fortunate to only have three go so far. Since I live in Phoenix where is gets a little warm in the summer you'd think I would have had a few more done - since the problem is alledgedly "heat" related. :confused:

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Just throwing in my experience. I had the front passenger regulator replace a few months ago. Started with the window not going down straight like it was off track. Also cracking/popping sound ensued while rolling down. For a while, the window would not roll down. At that point, I made my appt and got the regulator replaced quickly. Service tech seemed to imply it was a common occurance.

Don't have the p/n handy.

Bob

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Wow! I have had a grand total of ZERO replaced in 3.5 years/70,000 miles. Maybe it is a hot climate thing.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Noticed everybody here with bad window regulator is 1999-2001. Anybody with 2002 model year have a bad window regulator?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts