BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed in the undercar inspection when switching to summer tires the big rear diff mount bushing was on the way out. Some nice large cracks (see pix below). It was not totally gone, there was no clunking yet, but did not want to be stranded on a trip or something down the road. Decided did not want to tackle pulling the diff in my garage only with jack stands and read about all the horror stories of people struggling to get the bushing out.

Bit the bullet and had my favorite dealer do it for $650 labor and about $50 for the bushing plus tax.

The car now shifts noticeably smoother. While I really was not aware at the time, it was becoming more difficult to get a smooth shift (5-speed) between gears with the rubbery feeling of the worn bushing (kinda like the driveshaft was made of rubber). Now smooth shifts are much easier to achieve and there is less passenger head bobbing going on between shifts.

Also as a plus, the dealer gave me the 335 loaner I asked for. Without doubt a terrific, very fast and capable car (an automatic). But it did everything so effortlessly, and with some of the driver feedback was somewhat muted, did not seem as 'engaging' as my lowly 328 with 193 HP. Suppose some of this was due to the automatic in the 335 and the manual in my 328.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
A customer brought in a used diff to replace his growling one on a 325i a little while back. I dropped the old one out, and bench pressed the new one in for about an hour labor.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
$700 for a rear diff bushing. Wow! I'd say they charged you about $400 for the "rental" on that new 335i!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the dealer price was acutally lower than the independent. This was one I knew would be I wished I never started if I tried myself (not as young as I use to be).

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Well the dealer price was acutally lower than the independent. This was one I knew would be I wished I never started if I tried myself (not as young as I use to be).
I guess I have a sore spot for ridiculous prices. People think just because it says "BMW" it should cost $1000's more for work. In reality, the E46 is pretty well laid out and easy to work on. I guess it isn't a ripoff if you feel you got your $$'s worth. :thumbup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Dang, 700 clams for this. I had the same problem - twice I took it in for service & asked them to look into it. Twice they told me everything was a-OK. To me it felt like my drivetrain had 200k miles on it. Third time I asked to ride with a tech, who said "wow, we told you this was OK??". Finally it was fixed under warranty, just before it was to expire.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Actually changing the rear diff bushing, if its the one that part of it bolts to the diff cover is easy if you cheat :)

I still havent changed mine yet, bushing is laying in the trunk still. But I figured out an easy way to change it. Pull the bolt out of it and then remove the cover. Then your just dealing with the bushing itself and its easy to get to.

Bmw's recommended method involves dropping the rear end out of the car. Strange.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually changing the rear diff bushing, if its the one that part of it bolts to the diff cover is easy if you cheat :)

I still havent changed mine yet, bushing is laying in the trunk still. But I figured out an easy way to change it. Pull the bolt out of it and then remove the cover. Then your just dealing with the bushing itself and its easy to get to.

Bmw's recommended method involves dropping the rear end out of the car. Strange.
Let us know how you make out. Even with the cover off the big diff gear may be in the way of the bushing puller. And the puller is also very special.

Yes it was worth the $700 to me. This is one of those rare times I've paid for serivce, have done most of my own including water pumps, VC gaskets, and all suspension work.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Ill post some stuff with pics if I ever get off my butt and actually change it :)

Ive been tinkering on a truck I bought since january and havent done anything with my bmw lately.

Weathers pretty lately so I'll probably tackle it pretty soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ill post some stuff with pics if I ever get off my butt and actually change it :)

Ive been tinkering on a truck I bought since january and havent done anything with my bmw lately.

Weathers pretty lately so I'll probably tackle it pretty soon.
Hi guys, I have the same problem and I tohought it was the reverse kicking back and that soon i could have a no reverse problem. Yesterday I lifted my car to inspect it and Voila! my reverse problem is caused because my differential mount is wear out.

Where can i buy it? Can I replace it without the specialized tool that is on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear...Z380172544995QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Is there any DIY?

Thank you so much

·
Registered
17 Posts
john

could you tell me how sure your are replacing the diff mount bushing without dropping the rear end and how long do you estimate to do the job, could anyone tell me why can't just the anti roll bar be taken off or does the bush press out other way

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
No, the diff must come out. Takes about 2-3 hours. An air chisel makes it easy to remove.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts