BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Tirerack.com favors the BMW 3 series as the best test vehicle for tires. In the latest round of tests Tirerack uses a 2012 F30 328i to test the best snow tires for the coming cold weather. The tires they stacked up against each other include:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice & Snow 215/60R16 95T) - Details at Tire Rack
  • What We Liked: Excellent ice traction and a comfortable ride
  • What We'd Improve: Clear road handling
  • Conclusion: Still an excellent option for when winter weather is at its worst
Continental ExtremeWinterContact (Studless Ice & Snow 215/60R16 99T) - Details at Tire Rack
  • What We Liked: Good road manners and very good ice grip
  • What We'd Improve: Ice cornering traction
  • Conclusion: A very capable winter tire that you can live with every day
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT (Studless Ice & Snow 215/60R16 95T) - Details at Tire Rack
  • What We Liked: Responsive steering
  • What We'd Improve: Soften the ride, reduce tread noise and increase ice traction
  • Conclusion: Delivers better winter traction than the best all-season tires can
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Studless Ice & Snow 215/60R16 99H) - Details at Tire Rack
  • What We Liked: Excellent ice traction and good clear road handling
  • What We'd Improve: Ice cornering traction
  • Conclusion: A new Studless Ice & Snow tire that challenges for best in class

Read the complete winter tire test results at the Tire Rack

What snow tires will you be running this winter?

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,528 Posts
I have the Continental ExtremeWinterContact and I am not pleased. The car has clearly lost some handling benefits compared to my previous set of Vredestein. I should have gotten H-rated tires, like the Conti TS810.

I also bought a set of Xice-3 for another car and while it has not seen any snow/ice yet, the handling poses no problem

·
I probably dislike you...
781 Posts
Sweet, I have a set of IceXs (17 inch) I will be putting on this weekend. My wife used them last year to good effect. Nice to see them score highly.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,180 Posts
I have the Continental ExtremeWinterContact and I am not pleased. The car has clearly lost some handling benefits compared to my previous set of Vredestein. I should have gotten H-rated tires, like the Conti TS810.

I also bought a set of Xice-3 for another car and while it has not seen any snow/ice yet, the handling poses no problem
how do the Xice-3s compare to a performance snow in your opinion? its on my list of potential tires once my wintersport 3ds wear out

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,971 Posts
What snow tires will you be running this winter?
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST, installed two weeks ago and nicely broken-in for today's first snowfall of the season. :thumbup:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
I've got the Blizzak WS70 and agree with their statements - they are incredible in snow and on ice. They also make my car track like s**t on the highway on dry payment. If you like somewhere with snow on the ground most of the winter, get them. Around here, the roads dry a day or two after the worst blizzard and they're not worth it. Next time, I'm going for performance winter tires.

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,528 Posts
how do the Xice-3s compare to a performance snow in your opinion? its on my list of potential tires once my wintersport 3ds wear out
I didn't see any bad behaviour with our X-ice3. That's a good start.

I also bought them because of durability.

The MICHELIN® X-Ice Xi2 tire lasts 75% longer than the leading competitor without affecting other performances
http://tires2.costco.ca/product.aspx?ItemNo=164903

I have the X-ice3 but I expect them to be even better than the X-ice2...

·
Apay Kapoy
982 Posts
Top 6 winter tires from a popular consumer magazine.
Michelin X-ice Xi3
Michelin X-ice Xi2
Hankook Winter Icept Evo
Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice and Snow
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the X-Ice Xi2's - and I got them for the specific city environment I live in.

Roads are clear within a day or two of the storm, here in the city of Chicago. And the biggest danger is icy intersections. Clear road grip is not an issue.

And the longevity/durability was a big factor.

The X-Ice Xi3 appears to adhere to that formula... and improve upon it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts