BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to cars and would really like to start getting into them. Recently (March actually) my uncle just past away, and my parents gave me his 02 525i, since it was just sitting there anyway. Now there's just a few problems (that I can presently see) and honestly the search function and the stickies are a bit overwhelming for me when I barely know what I was doing. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following problems.

1. So I have 2 car remotes right now. And neither of the remote has working controls. I was assuming I needed to reprogram them, but based on what I am seeing, I need a working remote to start with. They both start the car perfectly fine but the buttons are not working. I read that they both have internal batteries that should charge after a long period of time driving. I have driven both keys for around 10-12 hours and I'm unsure if its a battery problem or not.

2. My odometer (as well as the other 2 notification bars) seem to have their backlight broken. When it shines in the sun I could see it, but it is not visible unless within the sun.

3. This one is a long shot, but my aftermarket (Nakamichi NA130) display doesn't work. The sound plays and I have no issue with the radio or anything. The display just doesn't display anything. But when I look at it closely I sort of feel like the screen is turning on, which makes me believe it might be like problem number 2.

What I could tell you guys I have done is I have checked all the fuses and it seems like they are okay. One thing to note is I believe my uncle before he passed, installed new headlights or a new cluster(dashboard?). I remember reading somewhere that doing so could cause problems, but I cant seem to find that post. If possible I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction to how I could come about to fixing these problems. Thanks everyone! I hope to learn a lot with you guys.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
1 is correct as long as you have the diamond shaped fob...you can solder in new battery..but try to charge first.
2 common issue...send unit in or watch vid on how to fix.. search- missing pixels
3 aftermarket.. you're on your own.. ask local hifi shop to fix..\\

welcome to the board... keep reading.. look up and find out about your cooling system..

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Welcome and that is a great inheritance! The first three post in the forums are going to be your best friend (like they are mine). Go into one of them, do a search this forum (black drop down menu) and look for your topic. Reprogramming keys is in there along with your pixel issues not sure about your aftermarket but worth a look. Like one of the greatest (BlueBee) once said: " the question has been asked, do a search and find it". Again, welcome and enjoy the ride.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
As AngryBear said, the info on re-programming your remotes is in there. In the Bimmerfest search box on the upper righthand corner of the page, type "reprogramming key fob" and "Qsilver7." That should bring up useful info. It's also in the owner's manual, if you have it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Welcome and sorry for the loss of your uncle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi you guys thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that I actually did try to reprogram the keys, but it didnt seem to work. Do i need one key that is already has working buttons? Because at the moment that is something I don't have. And thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I'll look into the pixel problem some more. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If you have an electric chargeable toothbrush, try laying the key next to it for a day or two. Then Reprogram and see if it works. I think the charge is supposed to be 36 hrs drive time per year to maintain the operability. So try a continuous 24 hrs. Seemed to work for me but not sure if it will be a long term fix or not.

·
Registered
15,904 Posts
Methinks you've been given a pig in a poke. The E39, at this age, is a maintenance/repair-intensive vehicle. Since you have little car-wrenching skills, you will need to farm out the repairs, which will be expensive. Parts are not cheap, either.

I suggest you sell the car, and get a recent model Japanese car.

If you insist on keeping the car, get a copy of the Bentley E39 service manual, available on Amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have an electric chargeable toothbrush, try laying the key next to it for a day or two. Then Reprogram and see if it works. I think the charge is supposed to be 36 hrs drive time per year to maintain the operability. So try a continuous 24 hrs. Seemed to work for me but not sure if it will be a long term fix or not.
Alright I'll try that out tonight thanks!

Methinks you've been given a pig in a poke. The E39, at this age, is a maintenance/repair-intensive vehicle. Since you have little car-wrenching skills, you will need to farm out the repairs, which will be expensive. Parts are not cheap, either.

I suggest you sell the car, and get a recent model Japanese car.

If you insist on keeping the car, get a copy of the Bentley E39 service manual, available on Amazon.
Yeah I was aware of it, but I'm mostly driving it because my parents couldn't let go of the car since it was my uncle's baby. I actually drove an 07 Toyota Matrix prior to the BMW, which my sister is driving because there's a known transmission problem on the BMW currently and shes too afraid to drive it. Pretty much any repairs needed to keep the car running my parents handles. I'm just working on the small more luxurious problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.