BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I can haz both cars?
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow 5er drivers,
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I recently joined the forum when I started looking for an E39. I had a few questions regarding a car’s history and about the series in general and this forum has proven to be invaluable. Thank you!

I have long been a customer of BMW and currently own an E46 M3. So when I took a position with a company that requested that I get a 4-door automatic as a company car it was a no-brainer. I started looking at the E60 5-series models and I can’t describe how uninspiring I find those cars. I even test drove the M5 and still…nothing. It’s fast, without doubt, but you really need to drive it like you hate to make it worth while.

It took months and months of searching but I finally found what I consider to be the perfect car - a 2003 Sterling Grey 540i with the M-sport package. I found it in Georgia (I live in NC) and flew down to pick it up. It has 38K miles on it and it came with the maintenance warranty until 2009. The warranty already proved to be a money maker because I recently brought it to the dealership and was offered a free brake and coolant flush. I thought it only included free oil changes. The fact that I don’t have to pay for brakes makes the deal all the more sweet.

The drive back from Georgia was amazing. I took roughly 1.5 hours off the 6 hour drive. The car is effortlessly quick. And it has a stupid amount of torque. The fact that it’s such an understated car only adds to its beauty. I could not help but take a couple of pictures of the car when I got it home.

Coming from an M-car, the 5er is super smooth. And although it doesn’t rev like the S54 it feels nearly as quick. This car is so well balanced that I don’t think I will find the need to mod it (I may eat these words in the future). I had an issue with what I thought was wind buffeting from the left A-pillar. I suspected the worst but after looking around on the forum I found it to be the forward jacking mount - interesting cause and effect relationship there. Someone also mentioned a correlation between the sun visor and the ignition switch. I can’t wait to find out what that is about.

I think I will keep the M3 for track events and weekend driving but I just can’t pull myself away from the 540i. Does anyone know where I could get the factory spoiler that some cars came with? Oh no, I think I am already modding!

Thanks for all the help thus far and enjoy the pictures.

-Tom

Attachments

·
VA makes me miss WA
1,779 Posts
beatiful cars! Now your M3 has the big brother its always wanted. Sterling Grey is a great looking color on these cars. Welcome:thumbup:

·
I make websites.
174 Posts
My god, I envy you.

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
nice color :)

welcome to the sterling grey club

i bought mine with 27k miles in december...

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
here's my baby :)

after a fresh detail on sunday :)

Attachments

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Think you can find em on eBay. Do a search, a bunch of people have added em.
u can also find em at the dealer...but obviously they will be more expensive. but fit/finish would he a hell of alot better imho.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice! Really like the Sport styling.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Swole, lemme know if you decide to get out of it in the next year or so.

03 540 will be my next acquisition.
Bob, I'll be looking to part with my '03 540 sport in the next year or so (no set timeframe). Interested?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts