BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to order a 545 now rather than wait for the 550 in September. Reason: I can get the car sooner, and I save a bundle on the lease rate. Money factor of .001 on the 2005 e60 amounts to a loan at 2.4 % interest, hard to pass up. I'm doing this as a reverse purchase - plan to buy the car in 3 years and am financing the depreciation.

My vehicle: Orient Blue, Black interior, sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. Now the 2-month wait begins!

Thanks to all the 'Festers who provide encouragement to incipient Bimmer owners like myself!

·
Registered
188 Posts
arnolds said:
Congrats! :thumbup:
I agree -- Congrats!

I'm hoping to take the plunge soon, too, and order a 530xiT. I wish the lease rates were as good on those. :( What do you think of Amethyst Gray with Auburn/Black interior? That's what I'm thinking of getting. I would get Premium and Cold Weather packages, comfort seats, NAV, park assist, and maybe a couple other goodies (Sirius -- can I get it with NAV?). What about being able to put an iPod in AUX with Sirius and NAV?

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
I basically did the same thing with my E39 6 years ago..... built a spreadsheet to prove to myself that the Lease now and Buy later was the best decision..... it also kept my payments down.

In hind sight..... I think a low interest Home Equity Loan may have been a smarter way to go. Have you ran the numbers and taken into account the better tax return and divide that by 12 to figure into your adjusted (lower) monthly payments......?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
:thumbup:

Hey, order the HUD...it is a totally sweet "toy" to have!

Have you considered doing European Delivery?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
In hind sight..... I think a low interest Home Equity Loan may have been a smarter way to go. Have you ran the numbers and taken into account the better tax return and divide that by 12 to figure into your adjusted (lower) monthly payments......?
Even with the savings provided by deductible interest, I don't think one can do better than 2.4% interest rate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. HUD was one of the options I evaluated carefully and decided against. I just do not think I would like it. Reflections of any kind off the windshield drive me nuts. I'm aware, though, of how much people enjoy it who have it.

2. Euro Delivery is something I'd like to do but can't because of the need to replace my car coming off lease. (And I really do not want to drive it very much longer - a very competent but fairly uninspiring vehicle, the Acura 3.2TL Type S.) And I am just about out of vacation days already!

3. HELOC was not an option for me, for a variety of reasons.

Great fun to read all these ideas from other Bimmer owners.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I did a little looking and I've come to the conclusion that a plain old manual with an external clutch pedal is no longer available. You get two pedals: one for gas and one for brake. That is it! :(

However, the SMG is actually a manual...the clutch it just not operated by you.

·
Banned
6,126 Posts
Ågent99 said:
I did a little looking and I've come to the conclusion that a plain old manual with an external clutch pedal is no longer available. You get two pedals: one for gas and one for brake. That is it! :(

Do you actually 'use' your SMG? I think most just put it in automatic mode :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
greginaz1 said:
Do you actually 'use' your SMG? I think most just put it in automatic mode :dunno:
Automatic mode WITH the Sport Mode active is okay; without the Sport Mode active is a piece of crap that I can't believe BMW would put out in the marketplace...shifts like a garbage truck!

Otherwise, shifting the SMG is kind of fun but it takes getting used to! I keep wanting to row through the gears but you only push up to shift to a higher gear....

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Automatic mode WITH the Sport Mode active is okay; without the Sport Mode active is a piece of crap that I can't believe BMW would put out in the marketplace...shifts like a garbage truck!....
Now put your wife and daughter in the car and see which one they prefer. BMW is no dummy, that non-sports mode is designed for passenger comfort, and not for your sorry ass :p Ya Putz :D

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Ågent99 said:

Ahem...There is a 6 speed standard tranny available! Me thinks the moderator needs to do some homework...sheesh

·
Registered
11 Posts
MaxBuck said:
I decided to order a 545 now rather than wait for the 550 in September. Reason: I can get the car sooner, and I save a bundle on the lease rate. Money factor of .001 on the 2005 e60 amounts to a loan at 2.4 % interest, hard to pass up. I'm doing this as a reverse purchase - plan to buy the car in 3 years and am financing the depreciation.

My vehicle: Orient Blue, Black interior, sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. Now the 2-month wait begins!

Thanks to all the 'Festers who provide encouragement to incipient Bimmer owners like myself!
Did the same thing you did. Leased a 545; 36 months, 15K/yr. Again, plan to buy it out of the lease at lease-end, as long as no major reliability issues.

Sapphire Black / Gray Leather, auto, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio., Cold Weather.

$725/mo with first month payment, $625 bank fee, $350 doc. fees and licensing (New Jersey). No bump-up in money factor or security deposit as I am financing a 2004 BMW 330i Coupe through BMWFS.

Car should arrive in mid-June or sooner. At 2.4% effective interest, this is a deal you can't beat with a stick.

Flemington Porsche Audi BMW VW: Excellent prices if you shop other dealerships first. Low pressure, except for the VW - Audi fleet / Internet sales guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MaxBuck said:
1. HUD was one of the options I evaluated carefully and decided against. I just do not think I would like it. Reflections of any kind off the windshield drive me nuts. I'm aware, though, of how much people enjoy it who have it.

2. Euro Delivery is something I'd like to do but can't because of the need to replace my car coming off lease. (And I really do not want to drive it very much longer - a very competent but fairly uninspiring vehicle, the Acura 3.2TL Type S.) And I am just about out of vacation days already!

3. HELOC was not an option for me, for a variety of reasons.

Great fun to read all these ideas from other Bimmer owners.
What a coincidence! This Bimmer replaces an Acura TL (not type S) coming off lease in June. Again, competent, totally unexciting vehicle, albeit one which got commendable gas mileage (23-24 overall on premium). Expect 20 - 21 mpg on 545.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
TGray5 said:
Ahem...There is a 6 speed standard tranny available! Me thinks the moderator needs to do some homework...sheesh
I stared at that e60.pdf sheet for a while and I see no mention of a normal manual being available although I had to admit that I didn't believe it. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
beewang said:
Now put your wife and daughter in the car and see which one they prefer. BMW is no dummy, that non-sports mode is designed for passenger comfort, and not for your sorry ass :p Ya Putz :D
I realize that BMW are the automotive engineering gods but I can't believe ANYONE would like the SMG auto-shifting in non-sport mode. It isn't at all comfortable or smooth. It is very herky-jerky....putz. Maybe it was just my SMG acting this way but it was pretty bad....

:D

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
ChiefBlueBimmer said:
Expect 20 - 21 mpg on 545.
I was getting 19 in mine during my 5-day, 1250 mile European excursion.... :D

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Ågent99 said:
I stared at that e60.pdf sheet for a while and I see no mention of a normal manual being available although I had to admit that I didn't believe it. :dunno:
That's because you are looking at a list of 'options' for the car. If you don't select steptronic or SMG options, what do you suppose comes on the car....Bingo! Yes, an old fashioned manual tranny.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.