Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
My single vanos M52 is very low mileage for its age little over 87,000 miles on it. General consensus on the forums is that the vanos seals fail very early. Until I have problems with the vanos itself, I will not be servicing it. I have not driven any single vanos M52's with the seals changed, so I would like to see for myself if there is actually a difference in timing performance.

If your expansion tank is not leaking I would leave it alone, I decided to do preventative maintenance regarding that part. Swapped my original expansion tank with a dealer bought one, the part failed in 2 months. I could just be unlucky in that regard, but everyone states buy the tank from dealer. Well its garbage, and there are some threads where a person has gone through multiple dealer bought expansion tanks that failed. So if the original one is intact I would leave it alone.
My expansion tank is broken on the inside the separator broke and some where in the system I am losing coolant and sucking air. Going to swap it out for a Euro tank set up. herd its more reliable.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you have the M62TU motor then you have Vanos. It's my understanding that 97-99 V8's did not have Vanos. Late 99 build dates, and those listed as 2000 model year V8's and beyond have the Vanos. You will get the rattle at startup, and at idle your car sounds like a tractor.
Ok, My car DOES rattle at startup but it has always idled quietly since I've owned the car (8 years now). So I guess I can go a while without doing VANOS since it's only at startup. Does VANOS require removing valve covers, heads, etc?

·
JETPILOT10
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Steps for Vanos

You can look at the steps involved for the Vanos repair on Besian Systems procedures page at their website, but to answer your question, yes you must remove valve covers, upper timing chain covers on both sides. You also have to drain coolant, remove upper radiator hoses and the fan. Straight forward, just time consuming but can be done in a day if you have everything handy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in So Cal, and would love some help in getting this done. I'm comfortable with getting torn down, but an extra set of eyes would be great too.
What is the area you live in? I'm in Ventura and will be doing mine in a couple of weeks. Still need to order the CCV parts since I will be doing that at the same time. Would be great to witness a "VANOS operation" before I attack mine. Would not mind to get my hands dirty and am getting familiar with the Beisan procedure after reading it many times.

Harold

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's encouraging to read these responses, my car needs the Beisan Systems VANOS upgrade and one of these days I'll be tackling this job too.

·
Registered
854 Posts
JetPilot,

I just read the entire procedure and I think I'll be asking my mechanic to do this job. LOL. Anyways, one question for you: did you have to replace your crankshaft chain tensioner? Nowhere in the instructions does it talk about replacing it. It just lists it as parts to replace.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Never mind. I see removal and replacement of crankshaft chain tensioner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What is the area you live in? I'm in Ventura and will be doing mine in a couple of weeks. Still need to order the CCV parts since I will be doing that at the same time. Would be great to witness a "VANOS operation" before I attack mine. Would not mind to get my hands dirty and am getting familiar with the Beisan procedure after reading it many times.

Harold
I'm in Ontario, I haven't had any time to start to think about this repairs timeframe, although I think about it every time my car is idling and I'm in front of her and can hear the Vanos noise.
I would need to get the timing kit as well, that's one tool I don't own.

·
JETPILOT10
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Working awesome

Ok so I have put about 800 miles on the car since Vanos repair and I still couldn't be happier. The car is quiet, like it should be, and I don't get the weird looks from folks at stoplights with their windows down wondering what the hell is wrong with the car that it sounds like freight train...

Car runs great, sounds great and performs like a V8 should!

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Nice job, most Vanos problems are reported in I6 models, but apparently V8 also has this issue.
I don't think it is anyone's fault, any parts (whether it is brake pad or Vanos seals or aircraft parts) have their lifespans.

After 120K, most engine gaskets, seals, start to degrade slowly.

Great job, glad your car goes past 200K, these engines last a long time, if well taken care of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
google....really. I'm not referring to the Solenod seals. According the pictures from Besian the chain has to be removed to take off the Cam sprocket and get to the old VANOS seals

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh, so you found the beisan guide but can't read it, huh? :)
Seriously, man, read it through, look at pics. Do you see anywhere there they are removing the lower timing chain cover and the chain itself? No, because they didn't and because this is not necessary.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts