BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just picked my car up from the shop, and now it's making a 'thumping' noise

836 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SJBimmer
As you may have seen in another thread, I just picked my car up after mangling a bushings install.

Now, however, it makes a very obvious 'thump thump thump thump' when driving that can be felt clearly in the steering wheel. It seems to get less when I turn the car to the left, and it disappears when I brake hard.

It's dark out, so I can't really look at it closely - but I don't see any obvious issues. The wheels seem tight and they seem to rotate freely, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Any ideas?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
All depends on the quality of the install you did on the drivers side and what the shop did on the passenger side. It is not uncommon for poly cabs to allow vibration and other issues that were masked by the softer OE bushings to show through.
Yeah... I found the issue... :eek:

I don't really want to admit what it was... If I just say I'm the world's biggest idiot - can we leave it at that?

The important thing is it's fixed and everyone can go about there business. :D
saw before

Not sure if your car falls into this category but was at a service station getting an inspection and the person before me had his tires rotated and oil change. Anyways the tires on the car were wider on the rear and when they rotated front to rear rear to front it rubbed

hope it helps
I figured it out. It's wasn't the shop... I'm just stupid.
Not sure if your car falls into this category but was at a service station getting an inspection and the person before me had his tires rotated and oil change. Anyways the tires on the car were wider on the rear and when they rotated front to rear rear to front it rubbed

hope it helps
No you're not. You just made a mistake. It's why they put erasers on pencils. Learn from it, and move on. Good luck!
I'm just stupid.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.