BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put about 80 miles on the car and heres my little review of it so far. Keep in mind I am coming from an E46 and a E90 335 6mt so i know what "the bmw feel" feels like. I'll focus on just the drive/handling since we all already know what the car looks like. Overall I am extremely happy with my choice.

Power - Surprised....the car actually accelerates without any problem and pretty quickly i might add. Still breaking in the motor so i haven't really got on it yet but this car isn't slow by any means. Can't even imagine what the 550 or M5 feels like. Coming from an N54 the N55 in this car sounds smoother and sounds better. Hard to judge power difference since my N54 car was a 6MT while the 535 has the sports automatic transmission. Overall I am impressed with the cars power even compared to my 335.

Handling (my car has DDC) - Feels big. Much harder to maneuver the car around like i could with the 335. This will take some time getting use to but i don't see this being a problem for me at all. In Sport mode the car handles pretty well for such a big car. Haven't messed with Comfort mode yet so can't comment too much about it. Handling is decent but far from my E90. Is it horrible like some guys here make it out to be? No not at all. You just can't compare it to a 3 series. What I am impressed with how well this car soaks up the crappy NYC bumps. Car feels so smooth.

Transmission (SAT) - love it so far. I already figured out why people here were complaining about the transmission being jerky. ITS DESIGNED TO BE THIS WAY! Unless you are in comfort or eco mode the transmission will down shift and hold the lowest gear and try to keep the rpms up at all times. Once you put the car in comfort/eco mode the SAT behaves just like any other automatic out there where it will upshift to the highest gear whenever possible. This will make the car feel much smoother especially driving in traffic. If the car is in sport mode you can feel whenever the transmission shifts down gears as you slow down which will feel like its being jerky. Those that know how to drive manuals will know how this feels. Its obvious that those that were complaining about the SAT have no clue how a modern day transmission works. I was in a lot of stop and go traffic on the drive back and i tested this over and over again.

Steering - Since my car is a Xi it still has the hydraulic steering. Much lighter than my 335 but not Cadillac light. Feels right for this type of car. I do notice a slight dead spot in the steering when i am on the highway going straight. My 335 was razor sharp and the steering would react to the slightest twitch. Need more seat time to really judge this.

Throttle response - I seriously have no idea what people are crying about. My 2013 has instant throttle response in Sport mode. The car reacts to the slightest pedal movement without ANY delay. Sure if you are in Comfort mode everything seems to be tone down. I'm not a fan of comfort mode but i LOVE sport and sport+ Unless Bmw fixed the issue with the 2013 F10 or people are just not driving in the right mode. In my car switching between modes has a dramatic impact on the way the car feels/handles/shifts.

More to come after i spend more time with the car...

Alan

· Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Thanks for the review. Congrats! :thumbup:

· Registered
347 Posts
Nice review and again congrats Alan!!! I can't fall asleep and reading this just made it worse!!! I pick mine up in the morning!!:D
I'm happy to here your SAT comments....sounds like it functions exactly as I hoped.

· psidrx80
63 Posts
Awesome! Congrats!

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Throttle response - you have no idea what people are complaining about because you have not experienced it. It is not a phantom issue or something that only enthusiasts notice. My wife notices and comments. It is that bad.

I drove in JJSC6's 2012 550 earlier this week. Smooth as silk. No issues.

Come find me for a drive some day. You won't believe that I out up with this.

· Registered
440 Posts
Congrats sir!

· Registered
420 Posts
Power - Surprised....the car actually accelerates without any problem and pretty quickly i might add. Still breaking in the motor so i haven't really got on it yet but this car isn't slow by any means. Can't even imagine what the 550 or M5 feels like.
If you travel at highway speeds (flow of traffic, etc...usually not exceeding the speed limit, or maybe only by 5-10 mph), the 550 is....a waste here in the USA. Yes, you get push you back in your seat acceleration (and I am still in my break in period and keeping it under 4500 rpm), but the amount of time you can actually use it is few and far between.

A few on ramps, a few stoplights, etc, but usually for only 4-5 seconds at a time..... and then you run out of speed limit. When moving around in traffic, it's effortless. Just squeeze the throtttle just a tiny bit, and you're going 5-15mph faster than you were a second ago. It's a really hard car to drive within the speed limits. It's actually because of this that I spend about 1/3 of the time on cruise because that's how much of my weekly drives are in speed traps.

I am actually preferring to run my car at slower speeds on narrow roads that wind around (the few that do) or have a few dips and hills than on the the interstates or highways/freeways.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and now that I have it, I would not trade it in for an instant. If I tracked the car, it would be down right perfect for me...but all that said, my last car was 300hp and 325 ft lbs of torque (NA). I think that for someone looking for a quick, fun to drive car that will just be used on the roads...that's just about the right amount of HP/Torque. I think if I had it to do all over again, I might just go for the 535 and the increased economy...and maybe a manual and rear steer....and vented seats for the summer.

Congrats on the new 535, it's a fantastic car.

· Registered
349 Posts
If you travel at highway speeds (flow of traffic, etc...usually not exceeding the speed limit, or maybe only by 5-10 mph), the 550 is....a waste here in the USA. Yes, you get push you back in your seat acceleration (and I am still in my break in period and keeping it under 4500 rpm), but the amount of time you can actually use it is few and far between.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and now that I have it, I would not trade it in for an instant. If I tracked the car, it would be down right perfect for me...but all that said, my last car was 300hp and 325 ft lbs of torque (NA). I think that for someone looking for a quick, fun to drive car that will just be used on the roads...that's just about the right amount of HP/Torque. I think if I had it to do all over again, I might just go for the 535 and the increased economy...and maybe a manual and rear steer....and vented seats for the summer.
I live in SoCal so we have lots of open road (thru Arizona, the mountains of Cali, etc.) so I've had the opportunity to really test the hps and handling thru twisties. Gotta tell ya that my car seems to hunker down & hug the road in turns taken at somewhat reasonable speeds (girlfriend white knuckling it of course). Everytime I hit the road the goal is to 'not get a speeding ticket'. Which might mean I need a slower car after all? :dunno:

· Registered
2,346 Posts

A few on ramps, a few stoplights, etc, but usually for only 4-5 seconds at a time..... and then you run out of speed limit. When moving around in traffic, it's effortless. Just squeeze the throtttle just a tiny bit, and you're going 5-15mph faster than you were a second ago. It's a really hard car to drive within the speed limits. It's actually because of this that I spend about 1/3 of the time on cruise because that's how much of my weekly drives are in speed traps.

I am actually preferring to run my car at slower speeds on narrow roads that wind around (the few that do) or have a few dips and hills than on the the interstates or highways/freeways.

I'm with you and Im' eagerly awaiting a new trend of smaller engines and overall much lighter cars in this segment. 300 hp is plenty in a light weight proper sports chassi. But then you guys need to stop shower BMW in dollars for ever more power in ever heavier chassis and then put the nail in the coffin by going to Dinan to get more...No wonder BMW keeps the HP war
going and is in no hurry putting these ladies on a much needed crash diet.

· 2 Bimmers R better than 1
1,091 Posts
No pics
How dare u....LOL
But seriously dude pics asap!

· Verified Trusted User
132 Posts
Congrats. There is nothing like driving home a new BMW. Btw my 2012 has NO throttle issues and it was built in April. I also just replaced my US light switch panel with the European one. I now have rear fog lights :) took all of 20mins to do !!!

Love these cars.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Iphone pics for now until i get some legit shots with my SLR

Not even 24 hours old and its already got.... 3D Design front lip, black bmw performance grills, color matched reflectors, fog light bulbs, Black painted calipers with Morr VS8.2, Supersprint exhaust with quad diffusor, M5 trunk spoiler, Wincos 20% tint.....been one hectic 24 hours.

Legit pics coming after i get my ACS springs installed.

Alan

· Registered
131 Posts

Thanks for the refreshingly honest assessment regarding power and acceleration. I debated 550i vs 535i and came out in favor of the 535i with exactly that rationale (sufficient power and better economy). I am really pleased to hear you concur based on real world experience. Makes me feel much better about my choice and looking forward to my car.

· Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Thanks for the refreshingly honest assessment regarding power and acceleration. I debated 550i vs 535i and came out in favor of the 535i with exactly that rationale (sufficient power and better economy). I am really pleased to hear you concur based on real world experience. Makes me feel much better about my choice and looking forward to my car.
I don't want to contribute to anyone feeling bad about their choice in cars since everyone has their own driving preferences, but I personally found the 550 in need of more power. It lacked the umph that I enjoy as part of my daily driving experience. Mrs Dunderhi is well acquainted with me saying "hold-on." I also enjoy the confidence that I not only can brake in an emergency situation, but at 511hp I can also accelerate quickly to avoid the situation. Hopefully you will consider my thoughts as refreshly honest as Stonehauler's assessment, because after 26k miles I'm averaging almost 21mpgs, so I'm liking my fuel efficiency too. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.