Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Usered Register
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 miles on the car, and it tells me to add a quart?! It was normal range this AM when I picked it up with 5 miles on it.

I smell a bad sensor. To dealer in AM....................

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
Possible Bro; but also could be combo of hypersensitive new owner+normal break-in consumption. :D

At least on M54 engines this seems to not be an uncommon problem, e.g. mine which needed 1 qt at about 3k, then nothing (22.5K now.)

Of course I could be wrong :bigpimp:

Nice car tho...

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
try a search here... there have been several issues with abnormal oil consumption on these new E90 (N52 IIRC) engines. A few have been replaced. Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Usered Register
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After searching "oil" on this board, it seems to me there has been a problem with the oil sensor. Too bad no dipstick.

The service rep explained to me, 'of course there is a dipstick, we'll just check the level', not inspiring a lot of confidence in them.

There were 2 people on this board who had a problem with adding too much oil when this problem arose, and 1 had subsequent engine problems.

A more knowledgeable BMW service rep explained that they didn't have access to the TSB's at the moment ('internet access down'), and that he'd call me later today. At least the loaner is a Z4, although totally different from my new car.

·
Usered Register
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with the service advisor. He said they replaced the oil sensor; we'll see if that was the problem. I'll post followup if that didn't fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts