BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
So my wife got her brand spanking new 330e Individual BMW yesterday. Very cool with most of the available options that can be delivered right now.
We live kn Europe and here we have a requirement to have the headlights on all day in order to increase visibility. Now for all you US based drivers it may seem silly at first, but it really helps especially in situations were you have a car coming at you with the sun in his/her back.
Now for some stupid reason a lobbyist convinced the politicians that it is only important to see from the front and not from behind . So the result is that if you go into options and turn on daylight on ONLY the headlights will illuminate but your rear lights will stay dark - until you manually turn on your lights.
Now I cannot count the number of times I have seen idiot drivers getting into their car at night and then thinking - the headlights are on so no need to turn on the lights. A car with dark rear lights are a disaster waiting to happen.
So I asked our sales rep at BMW if they could code the car to turn on the rear lights in daylight mode, but he had never heard of that being possible.
Now our head of the mechanics, a extremely decent guy that I have known for close to 17 years, we have had 6 BMWs before this one that he have taken care of, is looking into it, but for some reason this is a sore item for BMW. Apparently if you turn on the rear lights then the car uses more petrol and that can effect the eco rating. So help from that point seems unlikely.
Yes, I have pressed the point with members of the Danish parliament (I am a Dane even if the flag is Swedish out to the left side, but is due to the fact that I live in Sweden) but they get the 1000 mile look in their eyes and states that is above National law and have to be changed in the EU parliament.
So until that miracle happens can someone, does anyone know if this can be coded into the car?
Thanks
PS if anyone is wondering how you can tell if you are in daylight “mode” then the only way to spot it is either A: there is no light in your central display, but since that is now a TFT screen I can’t tell the difference. B: when you put the car into reverse you will still see the strong white light from the reverse signal but the red light normally coming from the rear light will be absent - that is unless you are pressing your foot down on the brake pedal then the red hue will be there and it will be impossible to tell…
In other words you need to be a psykic to feel it. No dings no warnings. Oh and all the car manufacturers on the market are in on it…

·
Registered
807 Posts
Your rear tail lights can be coded as DRL using esys. I’m able to do this for you if needed, it’s a quick job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well turns out that I am apparently dumb and our BMW Salesrep is not as knowledgeable as I believed. I asked him about the rear lights and he told me that it can’t be done.
Well turns out that one of the new features of the G21 is that you can select ro have the rear lights on even in daytime. I was dumb as I immediately posted the question before checking if something had been changed. Apparently BMW was listening.
So DAYVG thanks for the offer but no need.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well turns out that I am apparently dumb and our BMW Salesrep is not as knowledgeable as I believed. I asked him about the rear lights and he told me that it can’t be done.
Well turns out that one of the new features of the G21 is that you can select ro have the rear lights on even in daytime. I was dumb as I immediately posted the question before checking if something had been changed. Apparently BMW was listening.
So DAYVG thanks for the offer but no need.
Absolutely no problem at all. Enjoy the new car my friend! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts