Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOHOO! Oh my god it made such a huge difference! I'm not sure if it's psychological or real power gains, but just adding 5 gallons to fill up a tank of 91 octane crap made the car feel like a completely different monster. On Sunday as I was driving toward the beach to go play hockey, I was cruising at 80 when I encountered some gap in the traffic on 10 West and decided to have a little bit of fun. Tap the throttle a bit and next thing I know I'm flying by the light Sunday morning traffic at 115 mph...It wasn't even nearly full throttle. The engine seems to run a lot smoother (well...I changed oil on Saturday. That could be it) and snaps to attention. It was pure bliss for me, it's like my car was on crack or something.

I swear, when I got out of my car in the parking lot where I play hockey, I looked back and thought the car was smiling at me. Weird.

Well, seems like I'm burning through this stuff pretty quick...I'm already down a quarter of a tank and it's only been a day. :( Soon my car's going to have to go back to the STONER self after I'm done with this tank. The 100 Octane stuff is expensive...$4.96 a gallon. For those of you living near San Gabriel Valley or in Pasadena, there's a 76 station selling racing fuel on the corner of Glenarm and 110 freeway, pump 11 and 12. :) Maybe once every few months I'll treat the Hackmobile to 5 gallon of this stuff. ;)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Probably made a huge difference because of your Shark Injector, I doubt that a stock 323 would have anywhere near the difference, if any. Remember, you have Cali-crap gas and the injector is better suited for 93 :)

I regret not putting race gas in my car last time I was at the track :cry:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Are the octane grades same in the USA and in Europe ? I'm using 99 octane here (recommended by BMW).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Are the octane grades same in the USA and in Europe ? I'm using 99 octane here (recommended by BMW).
I think your 98 is equal to our 93....:dunno:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I remember I've heard exactly the opposite. :confused: I may be wrong too.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nate328Ci said:

Yep.

I think DEFINATELY I will fill up with some 100 Octanes for Buttonwillow, which I will attend in August (damn, dog days of summer in California Desert...).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:

Yep.

I think DEFINATELY I will fill up with some 100 Octanes for Buttonwillow, which I will attend in August (damn, dog days of summer in California Desert...).
So much for the CAI effectiveness :p

I'll be going to to the track several times this summer in Houston, just imagine the humidity :eek:

It so bad, the auto-x is at night during the summer. I'll have to try that :thumb:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
nate328Ci said:

This jives with what I've heard/read.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
The HACK said:

Yep.

I was thinking of signing up for that same weekend... more motivation to do so. :thumb:

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
The HACK said:
For those of you living near San Gabriel Valley or in Pasadena, there's a 76 station selling racing fuel on the corner of Glenarm and 110 freeway
There's one in West L.A. at Pico and Barrington. :thumb:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plaz said:

I was thinking of signing up for that same weekend... more motivation to do so. :thumb:
You'll see me, Andy Chi (Stuka on bimmer.org in E46 M3 board), Raffi K. and Sergio 323Ci there. :)

We can all crash at my folk's house in Bakersfield too. ;)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kaz said:

This jives with what I've heard/read.
Yeah, there was an article when the 330s first came out about it requiring 98 Octane fuel to realize all of the 30+ HP gain from the 328 engine...There was a big panic on the boards (well, mainly bimmer.org) that we in the states are being jipped AGAIN until someone confirmed that 98 Euro octane is like 93 octane here.

That would still mean that us Cali-crap gas users are screwed. :(

·
10,856 Posts
I understand that toluene, the primary component of F1 racing gas can be purchase in bulk (10 gallons) for around $2.50 a gallon. With an octane rating of 114, it would only take a gallon or two per tank to really improve your car's response. I'd love to see if 95 or 96 octane would make a difference in my car. You might look into that.

My guesstimate (assuming that you had a full tank) is that you were running around 94 octane. Going from 93 to 94 made a very noticable difference in my car, so going from KaliCrapGas to 94 ought to make a VERY noticable difference. :)

·
10,856 Posts
I understand that toluene is primarily dangerous if you drink it... :p Wear gloves and hold your breath and it's no biggie.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
The HACK said:
You'll see me, Andy Chi (Stuka on bimmer.org in E46 M3 board), Raffi K. and Sergio 323Ci there. :)

We can all crash at my folk's house in Bakersfield too. ;)
Just mailed my registration for the Aug. 3rd "Performance Driving Clinic."

That's the one, right?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've heard the reason the EU has higher octane is because they don't have the same tough regulations from the EPA. On the other hand we pay a LOT less than they do. I think it is around 94 or 95 octane

Our gas does have a higher sulfer content tho.

Running a higher octane than required by MFG. should have no affect on HP unless you have the timing advanced or compression bumped up.

if you want to learn more:

Gasoline FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
the only reason to run higher octane gas is if you KNOW your computer is running advanced ignition timing, like something you could program ala shark injector...i doubt any shark injectors are coming out w/ 100 octane fuel requirements.

the other reason is to run higher boost pressure in turbo charged engines, because the higher octane burns cooler, albeit with less explosiveness...yes, lower octane actually contains more explosive power than higher octane.

just mixing in a few gallons of race gas with regular stuff in a 2.5L N/A engine is just pure psychological gains. nothing more. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts