BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the box and I was surprised at the contents. I found my Z-2 bottle and a little box with the ZFX and some mixing bottles. I don't know what I expected the ZFX to look like, but this was not it.

On to my question: When you are mixing the Z-2 with the ZFX, how much Z-2 do you use? I have a 325i and I was planning on 2 coats. Anyone have any idea how to measure 1-2 oz. by pouring?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Schnitzer said:
I opened the box and I was surprised at the contents. I found my Z-2 bottle and a little box with the ZFX and some mixing bottles. I don't know what I expected the ZFX to look like, but this was not it.

On to my question: When you are mixing the Z-2 with the ZFX, how much Z-2 do you use? I have a 325i and I was planning on 2 coats. Anyone have any idea how to measure 1-2 oz. by pouring?

Thank you.
Those small bottles that came with ZFX are 2 oz bottles. I usually spend 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 bottles when I lay two coats down...

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
155 Posts
People have reported using syringe(oral or automotive type) to measure and mix Z+fx with great success.
You don't waste any Z with a syringe compared with the 2oz bottle.
But you need to find a larger size syringe to aid the mixing more effectively.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ripsnort said:
My Non-Zaino method. Open Paint cleaner, apply remove. Open Wax. Apply, remove. No PHD required for application. LOL! (j/k)
Oh, but it's not as complicated as it sounds...

Fill up small 2oz bottle with Z5/Z2. Add 8 drops of ZFX. Shake vigorously for 90s. Let it stand while you set your MF towels up. Apply. Remove. :p :thumb:

Speaking of remove... Zaino is a breeze to remove... :D

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
ALEX325i said:

Oh, but it's not as complicated as it sounds...

Fill up small 2oz bottle with Z5/Z2. Add 8 drops of ZFX. Shake vigorously for 90s. Let it stand while you set your MF towels up. Apply. Remove. :p :thumb:

Speaking of remove... Zaino is a breeze to remove... :D
In a day and age where space travel is possible for a civilian that has the $$, why on EARTH would you have to be mixing chemicals just to apply them to your car finish? ;) Hey Sal, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT! :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, pull your head out and see just how popular this stuff has become all over the place and in just about every detailing forum out there! :D

It's the only product on the market that truly has a cure time quick enough to layer 3 coats in one day. Blackfire? That stuff isn't even a true polymer...... C'mon Rip, I know you're a good evaluator of products.. I'm sure you're gonna sing to a different tune once you try it. :)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Intermezzo said:
That stuff isn't even a true polymer......
interesting point there, Intermezzo. Is that why people may top it with wax because it doesn't interfere with the bonding properties (if there's any) of BF ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alex, wait a sec...do you mean put BF on top of wax? Or wax on top of BF? Because I've never heard of people putting BF on top of wax. A lot of people (well, a few) over at Autopia put a wax like blitz or souveran on top of BF, which is sort of what many of them do with Klasse (put a coat of wax on TOP of Klasse).

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Intermezzo said:
Alex, wait a sec...do you mean put BF on top of wax? Or wax on top of BF? Because I've never heard of people putting BF on top of wax. A lot of people (well, a few) over at Autopia put a wax like blitz or souveran on top of BF, which is sort of what many of them do with Klasse (put a coat of wax on TOP of Klasse).
I meant topping BF with wax.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
interesting point there, Intermezzo. Is that why people may top it with wax because it doesn't interfere with the bonding properties (if there's any) of BF ?
If BF was a product that bonded or crosslinked to your paint's surface (the way a true polymer does), then applying a coat of wax on top of BF isn't going to interfere with that process. As long as there isn't anything in between your paint and the polymer, the polymer should bond properly. The same would hold true for Zaino, Klasse & Meguiar's #20.

I should amend my original statement to say that yes, BF is a polymer product in that it contains a form of silicone polymers, but it's the same polymer contained in Souveran and Paste Glaze and it also contains a lot of oils. Polymers just do not crosslink properly when suspended in a medium of oily ingredients. I've tried BF before and it lasted about 3 weeks for me.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Intermezzo said:
I've tried BF before and it lasted about 3 weeks for me.
Did you use it alone or top it with wax ?

I've asked it on Autopia and people who topped polymers (Zaino, BF) with wax just for experimenting have reported that wax and polymers have killed each other in a very short of time and the paint lost it's slickness and gloss.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used it on my friend's black Lexus GS300. I put on two coats, back to back with no carnauba topper. The car is a daily driver but is always parked indoors. The car was washed weekly and by the third week, it was squeaky clean with absolutely no slickness whatsoever...accompanied by a startling re-emergence of light swirl-marks BF originally covered up. If BF is going to last less than a month, why not get a TRUE carnauba shine by using a carnauba...instead of using a polymer that tries to mimick a carnauba shine?

I've tried applying Souveran over my black Zaino'd 330I and I wasn't impressed at ALL by the way it looked. I think the high glossiness of Zaino and the depth provided by carnauba cancel each other out or something. Also, the folks over at Autopia might be right about wax killing the durability of polymers or the oils in carnauba degrading the polymer base. I have since stopped using Zaino on that car and now use P21S paint cleanser + Blitz as a base and then use P21S carnauba on top of all that and I couldn't be happier with the way my car is shining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.