BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned with my wife after three great weeks in Europe, mostly in France, after picking up a new 328xi at Die Welt. A retirement/40th anniversary junket. Okay, I didn't get on the calendar and I forgot to sign "Das Buch" (which is getting a little scruffy). As penance, here are some tips that may prove helpful to future EDers:
1. Munich hotel: We stayed at the Hotel Uhland (www.hotel-uhland.de), which is perfectly located for ED. It's a short (2 stop) bus ride or taxi ride from the central train station, which connects with a direct train from the Munich airport; and it's a five minute walk to the U-Bahn subway line that connects directly to Die Welt. Also, it's in a nice, quiet part of town easily walkable to the main sites; the folks who run it couldn't be nicer or more accommodating; it has free off street parking for your new baby (though a bit tight, like most European parking spots); and our room -- clean, quiet, pleasant but nothing fancy, with a good bed (no small thing in Europe) cost 95 euros for an upgraded room for two (lowest is 85), plus they give a 2% discount for paying in cash. Oh, and the rate includes a great breakfast. Check reviews on Trip Advisor.
2. Don't buy a new BMW key chain unless you want two; they give you a nice one as a gift.
3. Nothing you can avoid, but we showed up at our appointed time, only to find out that the car wasn't there (panic!). Rather than getting delivery at 10:30, we had to wait until 4:00 pm. Actually they said it wouldn't be ready until 4:30 but we grumbled a bit and they moved it up 30 minutes. You get a voucher that will pay for lunch at the snack bar, but since we had such a long wait, we ate in the restaurant and ended up paying another 25 euros; it would have been nice for them to offer to pay for lunch, in light of the inconvenience, but they didn't offer. The factory tour and briefing (with cool driving simulation) took a while, but we waited a couple of hours as well. You might consider calling the day before, just to be sure all is okay. This wasn't part of our expected German efficiency!
4. The factory tour was fabulous! Don't miss it. My wife, who is hardly a car nut, was fascinated. I think they reserve a certain number of spaces for folks picking up their cars, but there was some mention of them managing to "squeeze us in" so I'd call a day or two ahead, just to make sure.
5. I wasn't thrilled with the info they provide you on dropping off the car for shipment home -- unless it's in Munich (where there's a map and complete directions) you get only a list of addresses and a packet of stuff you're told to give to the shipping agent. That said, the drop off at Charles deGaulle in Paris was seamless. The only directions we had were to "Terminal 3", but once you approach the terminal there are signs taking you directly to the drop off point. Took 15 minutes and they had a shuttle to take you to the correct terminal for your flight home. You might want to post a question here to get info on other dropoff points before you leave.
6. The car was delivered in Munich, a la US law, set for headlights on in daylight. This can be shut off by playing around with the computer control stick, however, and we finally did it because we got so tired of everyone flashing their lights at us during the day.

That's it; minor glitches but the car is fabulous, great fun to drive in Europe, and we can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Especially nice knowing that a Paris drop off is "seamless." By the way would welcome hearing more about your travels and what you enjoyed once you left Die Welt.

·
Farfrümsober
323 Posts
Our delivery had an unannounced re-schedule, too. Worked out because it gave us time to squeeze in the Factory Tour that we didn't think was happening on 4/9 ... call ahead is probably good advice.

In Bavaria, we never once had an approaching car flash us and I left the DRL on the entire time. Saw many, many other cars with them on as well. Perhaps a difference in the regions/countries you were in.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Especially nice knowing that a Paris drop off is "seamless." By the way would welcome hearing more about your travels and what you enjoyed once you left Die Welt.
+1! Bad news, Tom.
You redelivery will be delayed also. Ask me how i know.
Because you didn't follow 12 hr rules.
Congrats on your car and we waiting for pics.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,697 Posts
Our Welt Checking time was supposed to be 11:10 but when we got there they told us our check in time was sometime after 12. No big deal though as it gave us more time to walk around.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
+1! Bad news, Tom.
You redelivery will be delayed also. Ask me how i know.
Because you didn't follow 12 hr rules.
Congrats on your car and we waiting for pics.
I was at the Welt this past Saturday to take the tour and pick up tickets for the Museum. While I was there I wanted to double check my pick up time and its a good thing I did for they had changed my appointment from 9:00 am to 10:30 am. Lots of luck with the new car.
cheers
vern

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does the delay in pickup time happen a lot? Our pickup is at 7:50 am and we are taking the car to the drop-off location on the same day.

·
STEVIL Empire
742 Posts
6. The car was delivered in Munich, a la US law, set for headlights on in daylight. This can be shut off by playing around with the computer control stick, however, and we finally did it because we got so tired of everyone flashing their lights at us during the day.
:dunno:

The USA does not have such a law. The 328's angel eyes (halo rings) act as DRL (daytime running lights) and can be programmed on or off. Mine were programmed to be on and I never got flashed during the day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ED scheduled for 1:30 pm. Advised that we were in a hurry and they promptly complied moving it up to 11:am which was atime we had originally received.

Astroqb

·
The King of Common Sense
2,144 Posts
Did you sign the bimmerfest logbook? :eek: :thumbup::tsk::mad::eeps:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes, it is normal to sechedule the exact pickup time when you get there. If you are in a hurry, let them know and they usually accomodate. Have your SA tell them your needs before you leave.

Does the delay in pickup time happen a lot? Our pickup is at 7:50 am and we are taking the car to the drop-off location on the same day.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
3. Nothing you can avoid, but we showed up at our appointed time, only to find out that the car wasn't there (panic!). Rather than getting delivery at 10:30, we had to wait until 4:00 pm.
That is what I have been trying to tell people!

4. The factory tour was fabulous! Don't miss it. My wife, who is hardly a car nut, was fascinated. I think they reserve a certain number of spaces for folks picking up their cars, but there was some mention of them managing to "squeeze us in" so I'd call a day or two ahead, just to make sure.
Its normal to schedule the tour when you get there if you are doing ED - mere mortals have to schedule it weeks ahead of time.
Yes, that is a Canadian law, not a US law. Reading the owner's manual for the customizable settings before you go may be a good idea, although they will do it for you if you know what to ask for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts