Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man those things look like cartoon cars. i dont know anything about it past like car mags and edmunds stuff, but that is one car i definately cannot get behind the styling of...
 

·
superwagon pilot
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Occasionally my wife sees a car and really goes off about it. I'm always entertained by this because, she enjoys cars (the 3 is hers) but she's not a car buff to the extent most of us are. The last car she went off on was a CTS. She actually stopped at an intersection, pointed to it and asked me "What the heck is that thing, look at the grille it's HUGE, damn it's ugly." Before that she had a similar reaction for me when she came home from work and told me her boss just purchased a Rendevous, and for the life of her, she couldn't figure out what the guy was thinking... I could only agree on both counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh (PA) said:
Occasionally my wife sees a car and really goes off about it. I'm always entertained by this because, she enjoys cars (the 3 is hers) but she's not a car buff to the extent most of us are. The last car she went off on was a CTS. She actually stopped at an intersection, pointed to it and asked me "What the heck is that thing, look at the grille it's HUGE, damn it's ugly." Before that she had a similar reaction for me when she came home from work and told me her boss just purchased a Rendevous, and for the life of her, she couldn't figure out what the guy was thinking... I could only agree on both counts.
your wife sound cool.
 

·
Car Junkie
Joined
·
3,390 Posts
I like the CTS's styling. From what I've read, it handles well too. It was too slow and too new for me to consider this year, but I'd like to see what happens if/when the v model comes out.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
I could take-it-or-leave-it in photos, but when I saw it in person... Man, is it BUTT. And the interior looks like something out of a recent SAAB... that turned Calvin and Hobbes' Neo-Cubist. :thumbdwn:

It seems to work better on the SLR, but IIRC they decided to shelve that concept, along with the Cien.

GM's Brain(dead) Trust at work.
 

·
Confused.
Joined
·
4,941 Posts
There is no in between on this car. You like it or you dont. I like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
When I first saw the CTS in the mags, I thought: "Maybe it won't look so bad in person". Then I saw it at the car shows and thought, "Geez, it looks WORSE!"

The side profile is fine. But viewed from the front or rear, the CTS is just U-G-L-Y, and it ain't got no alibi!

Hmmm... kinda like the E65! :confused:
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
I took a CTS for a test drive a few months ago. I didn't really feel like I pushing the car, but I seriously thought that the salesman was going to shit himself. Honestly, I don't remember how it felt specifically, but I do remember thinking that the number of cars made by GM that I could be happy with had just doubled form 1 to 2 (Corvette being the other). The strongest feeling that I walked away with was a shimmer of optimism regarding American cars of the future. The styling is definately take it or leave it (like the new BMW products being rolled out), but the driving dynamics really gave me hope.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
I took a CTS for a test drive a few months ago. I didn't really feel like I pushing the car, but I seriously thought that the salesman was going to shit himself.
Remember that he's used to 70 year old guys who can barely even reach the gas pedal... He keeps having visions of the 70 year old getting his foot stuck on it. :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I admire Cadillac for its willingness to try unconventional styling on the CTS, but it just doesn't work for me. Still, it is a far better effort than most of the generic GM crap that the General has been peddling for the last 20 years.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Dan said:
I admire Cadillac for its willingness to try unconventional styling on the CTS, but it just doesn't work for me. Still, it is a far better effort than most of the generic GM crap that the General has been peddling for the last 20 years.
If they continued on the same path as they had been, they would have died as quickly as their current customer base dies off. They need us to survive (as a premium/upscale brand anyway).

The styling doesn't do it for me today, but the road feel and driving dynamics were good enough to let me know that GM and Cadillac are capable of designing, building and selling a car that I would be happy with. If, in 1997, you told me that in 2002 I'd say that a Cadillac *could* be in my future, I'd have laughed in your face. They are close. Really close.
 

·
A sudden sense of liberty
Joined
·
3,939 Posts


If they continued on the same path as they had been, they would have died as quickly as their current customer base dies off. They need us to survive (as a premium/upscale brand anyway).

The styling doesn't do it for me today, but the road feel and driving dynamics were good enough to let me know that GM and Cadillac are capable of designing, building and selling a car that I would be happy with. If, in 1997, you told me that in 2002 I'd say that a Cadillac *could* be in my future, I'd have laughed in your face. They are close. Really close.
What do you suppose the salesdroids at Lindsay Cadillac would do if we all went over there after the autocross and asked to be put on the wait list for the CTSv?
 

·
Car Junkie
Joined
·
3,390 Posts
Speaking of autocross, what heats are you all in for Saturday?
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Jetfire said:
Speaking of autocross, what heats are you all in for Saturday?
I'm 216. :)
Hunter is first heat... Clyde usually runs in the first heat as well. I'm showing up early to take pics... (And I'm going to get a ride with Hunter... Have to ride in that E30. :) )
 

·
Car Junkie
Joined
·
3,390 Posts
I shall be there, heat 1. I'm #3 on the waitlist but I imagine I'll get in. :)
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Jetfire said:
I shall be there, heat 1. I'm #3 on the waitlist but I imagine I'll get in. :)
Register now for the october autox. :)
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
I think that I'm #120, but I've got to check.

I will use Nick's camera to take pics of the second heat (if that's okay with Nick :D ). You've seen our "quickie, not really trying," autox photos, so (hopefully) we'll all have some decent autoxing photos by the end of the weekend.

ps- Wow, new venues for October and November.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
JST said:


What do you suppose the salesdroids at Lindsay Cadillac would do if we all went over there after the autocross and asked to be put on the wait list for the CTSv?
"CTSv? We have the CTS right here."

Which points to the next thing that Cadillac would have to fix if they want to woo the upscale import buyers.
 

·
Car Junkie
Joined
·
3,390 Posts
Funny how this thread is no longer about Cadillac, the CTS, or much else related to the first post. Perhaps, to keep it on topic, I will borrow a CTS to bring to tomorrow's event. ;) I wish.

Some nice autox pictures would be perfect for me. I've been meaning to get some action shots lately.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top