BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that in America e39's has ugly console with smaller leg room than euro one, also I noticed this in many other cars, 3 series and even US-spec corollas? What's happened in US, why they got ugly interiors and almost no leg room? I've read somewhere that it's by US law, it will prevent driver/passenger to go under panel in case of an accident if they are not using seat belts. But let's say in Russia, I would say 50% of people don't use seat belts, but there's no such stupid law in Russia. I mean if you're not buckled up, this panel won't save you anyway, then why US got those ugly panels?

·
I'm a Highway Star
1,059 Posts
I think I know the answer. Russian-made cars are death-traps. Any Russian regulatory agencies that might otherwise require a dashboard/console design that keeps you from sliding under it, realize that the cars are so poorly made anyway, to almost no safety standards, that in a severe head-on accident the engine is going to end up in your lap anyway.

·
Ivan
686 Posts
i wonder if bmw is going to spend money to have different designs of dashboards and leg room, just to make them ugly for the market in america (america being the whole continent and not only one country)
how expensive would it be for bmw to have different production lines?

·
Been there done that...
1,152 Posts
I think I know the answer. Russian-made cars are death-traps. Any Russian regulatory agencies that might otherwise require a dashboard/console design that keeps you from sliding under it, realize that the cars are so poorly made anyway, to almost no safety standards, that in a severe head-on accident the engine is going to end up in your lap anyway.
and this is relevant how?

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder why only America got those ugly consoles? All Europe, Germany, France, UK etc got normal ones... I think America is too much(read unnecessary) about safety. Also what's up with those 65mph speed limits on pretty well roads?

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wonder if bmw is going to spend money to have different designs of dashboards and leg room, just to make them ugly for the market in america (america being the whole continent and not only one country)
how expensive would it be for bmw to have different production lines?
BMW is have to spend all that money because US won't let it(or any other automaker for that matter) to sell car without that ugly console.

·
Been there done that...
1,152 Posts
I wonder why only America got those ugly consoles? All Europe, Germany, France, UK etc got normal ones... I think America is too much(read unnecessary) about safety. Also what's up with those 65mph speed limits on pretty well roads?
Im sure he'll be back saying that in Russia more people die in accidents and therefore 67mph limits kill :D

·
Ivan
686 Posts
how about you show some comparative pictures, that would really help a lot so you can make a clear point.
post a picture of your console, year and model; so to compare to anyother similar

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Converting the US dash to Euro is a typical mod among M5ers. A link including parts list and install help is below. You are looking at $600 and an empty weekend for this one I think. Here's some pics from a random install.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Eurodash.htm

Before-

After-

Hey, how about e60, e90 etc. Do they have ugly console too?

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Here's my E90...I don't remember it being any different than the ones I sat in back in early '05 in a Berlin showroom...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I've noticed that in America e39's has ugly console with smaller leg room than euro one, also I noticed this in many other cars, 3 series and even US-spec corollas? What's happened in US, why they got ugly interiors and almost no leg room? I've read somewhere that it's by US law, it will prevent driver/passenger to go under panel in case of an accident if they are not using seat belts.
Correct.

If you don't wear your seatbelts, this modification should be avoided. The purpose of the extra bolstering under the dash on the American BMWs is to guide an unbelted passenger into the airbags and prevent submarining under the dash in the event of a serious crash. If you wear your seatbelts, the extra padding does not help you in any way. But if you do not wear your seatbelts, you risk serious injury in an accident. The United States is the only country in the world that gets these ugly, bloated dashes because we still have significantly lower seatbelt usage statistics than Europe. Buckle up!
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Eurodash.htm

But let's say in Russia, I would say 50% of people don't use seat belts, but there's no such stupid law in Russia. I mean if you're not buckled up, this panel won't save you anyway, then why US got those ugly panels?
No offense to you personally, but let's not get into "stupid laws" when you live in Russia under Putin. ;)

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
No offense to you personally, but let's not get into "stupid laws" when you live in Russia under Putin. ;)
:lmao:

I was just about to write one of my anti-big government rants, but then I thought to myself, "Hey, I can't rant too much... poor old Vadim has Putin watching his every move. That's BIG government."

·
Been there done that...
1,152 Posts
I only wish G.W. did for US 1/10 of what Putin did for Russia :thumbup: Of course propaganda in this country works the best ;)

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:lmao:

I was just about to write one of my anti-big government rants, but then I thought to myself, "Hey, I can't rant too much... poor old Vadim has Putin watching his every move. That's BIG government."
Well I'm not old at all. Also nobody watches my moves. Back when it was USSR, yes government watched every move of people, if someone said something wrong about gov back then, you're in big trouble. But lately(read last 15 years) everything has changed. If you go to Moscow, it is most likely you'll say that you're somewhere in western Europe. Americans, who didn't live/visited Russia, they think that it's poor country etc. But actually it's really good here, if you have some amount of euro and good friends with connections. You know, I was in US, I know how people live there. Yes, there's more safe. But I'll tell you, if you have money here, you'll have a lot more fun than in US. Well that's my opinion, also my friends think so.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI Putin is not president anymore. Dmitriy Medvedev is new president.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
FYI Putin is not president anymore. Dmitriy Medvedev is new president.
Yes, we know. It's been extensively covered in the free press, something Putin has largely put an end to in Russia either by murder or imprisonment.

"Puppet President' Dmitri Medvedev takes power in Putin job swap"

Yes, the economy is better, but at what cost? Maybe worth it to you, but we've only known personal freedom all our lives so our perspective is different and probably always will be. Comparing what you have now to the old communist and financially poor regime of the past, things are a lot better now than they were then, so relatively speaking, many people are happy and willing to overlook certain things we could not. To us, the price you've paid in personal freedom for a better economy is too high because we don't know what it's like to go from bad to better. We only know what it's like to go from a great to not-so-great and getting worse. :eek: ;)

But without turning this into a Poli Sci thread, my point was really that what may seem like stupid laws to you may not seem stupid to us, and visa versa. We DO have a lot of stupid laws though. Here's a list for you of the stupid laws in California, but you can click on any state. :) http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol I know. I lived in California for about 2 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts