BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard good and bad about it, still undecided. One, it could add a little horse power. Two, the oil used on the filter could somehow damage your engine...

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Please search, there lots of threads on this.

A summary:
A few horsepower if you're lucky.
Requires maintenance, cleaning, oiling
Doesn't filter as well as paper filters.
Doesn't damage the engine, but over-oiling can damage your MAF sensor, a $350 part.

I think paper filters are good enough and replacement takes 30 seconds.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
I've heard good and bad about it, still undecided. One, it could add a little horse power. Two, the oil used on the filter could somehow damage your engine...

Any thoughts or advice?
What does your heart tell you?

·
Registered
67 Posts

Any thoughts or advice?
I've done it on an E36. No discernable difference. Keep your money. Kris is right,:thumbup: the paper change is 30 seconds and will be fine.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
Waste your money on something more productive, like good beer, wine, or whiskey....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
In my opinion the key thing isnt the power that you dont gain but knowing you didnt oil coat the MAF sensor by sticking with the paper filter.

·
Banned
576 Posts
I can tell you from my experience you will feel a slight power increase, mostly when your car is opening up i went with a fujita that i got off ebay shipped new for $150 to me all intakes are almost the same thing. Alot of people say oh it dosent do anything its just a lil sound that makes you think bullsh*t my car perfrorms way better now when i gun it ,alot of my friends that i hang out with alot and drive my car can feel/ think it sounds sweet i do too...so yeah i would go for it if i was you if you dont mind getting bashed upon go with a fujita off ebay works great for me installing it was easy....go for it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Ive avoided the performance area but Im bored so lets cover that some.

1984 300zx K&N, steel pipe replacing factory airbox with filter mounted on end of it. Common mod by most autocrossers and such. Effect : Massive intake noise and shaves seconds off the quarter mile, and track times. I was more suprised at the track times since thats usually driver error and mods dont help much engine wise but I shaved quite alot off my times with this mod. Reason? Factory 1984 300zx intake system sucks, helped it alot.

1986 Corvette, k&n filter. Huge gains. But it was a modified motor itself and the extra air really woke it up.

1985 trans am, k&n filter. Mild gains. Cars tune port fuel injected with radical mods but for some reason the filter didnt do much for it. Course I had already ported alot of the intake system and the air intake was custom anyways.

1998 gmc truck, K&N filter. ZILCH. Didnt help any. Sounds good, but did nothing for performance. Reason? Not really sure, Guess the vortec filter being so large to start with helps. Picture a filter almost 2 foot long and 6 inch diameter.

2000 bmw, paper. Reason I wont put a k&n on the car is pretty simple. Ive determined that with most modern cars, especially sport or performance intended cars like the bmw the a/f ratio and the air intake is already maxed out so why risk the MAF sensor problems for at the most 1/2 hp real life increase.

If you need the noise, get a resonator pipe :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got a K&N panel filter, no noticable difference in power, but a little more sound. I'm not sure how much oil you'd have to put on it to coat the MAF with oil, especially since you have to get through the honeycomb first, but I would imagine a little common sense solves this problem.

So, it's really up to you whether it is easier to buy new paper filters or clean a K&N.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
An excellent comparison from crowz.

K&N: Great for some makes.. not so much for BMWs :)

·
Banned
576 Posts
I dont know if it cuz 323's respond good too mods but i dident get a k & n and i feel a difference in power not a crazy crazy one but enough to be nocticable, maybe a different brand will do the trick try afe or something else maybe even fujita :rofl: good luck.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
I dont know if it cuz 323's respond good too mods but i dident get a k & n and i feel a difference in power not a crazy crazy one but enough to be nocticable, maybe a different brand will do the trick try afe or something else maybe even fujita :rofl: good luck.
Well said!

:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts