BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a cold air intake from k&n fipk 57-1002 for my 328ci...could anyone give me feedback on if its worth the money and how good it works??? my car has 80k on it will that be a problem??? anyone who has installed this on a 2.8L engine please let me know thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
if you're looking for performance gains it's not worth the money because there won't be any noticeable gain.
please read the wiki before you post again
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46
Ditto....The way it usually works is, you do your research FIRST, *then* you spend your money (or not spend it, whichever the case may be) IMHO, CAIs don`t have much value if you`re just looking for performance gains....the BMW-issue intake is pretty hard to improve on.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
only thing it will do is make your engine sound a little different.....won't improve anything else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well guys on the k&n website they state that to a 325ci it gained 8-9 horsepower now that might be a little but its more than none. i was looking for people's feedback that have or had installed this exact fipk but thanks anyway:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
you also asked.......... "could anyone give me feedback on if its worth the money and how good it works??? " ......... and we're telling you..... you WON'T get any horsepower gains. you won't even get 1 out of it. All you'll get is a different sound of the intake under acceleration, which will make you THINK you have a performance gain. Do some more research on it if you don't believe us...... you wasted your money. Guys have installed these things and done dyno's on their car after, K&N website is full of crap.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
well guys on the k&n website they state that to a 325ci it gained 8-9 horsepower now that might be a little but its more than none. i was looking for people's feedback that have or had installed this exact fipk but thanks anyway:)
No sh!t, Sherlock....their job is to sell product, and like just about all aftermarket manufacturers, they`re not afraid to be a little ummmm, "optimistic" with their claims....I have emailed several of them, asking for proof (in the form of before/after dyno printouts), and exactly NONE of them responded....are you starting to see a pattern here?

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
allright know it alls i'd like some feedback from other people now you guys can give it a rest but thanks. ill post a reply on thursday when i put it on and try it out. i got it off ebay for 200$ shipped which is 100$ cheaper than enywhere else. 200$ is pocket change. ill probly make that up at the gas pump. horsepower tv guys said k&n cai's are proven to give better gas mileage also so i doubt i wasted my money.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
If all you want is a different intake sound on your engine, then you didn't waste your money. You *might* make 2-3 hp, but that's it, at best. Your gas mileage will improve, but certainly not to the tune of making up the $200 you spent, unless you drive A LOT. Plus, those mileage improvements only happen when you're gentle on the throttle.

On the M52 engine, the best thing you could do would be to get some software. The Jim Conforti Shark injector actually *will* give you some HP and better gas mileage.

Anywhoooooo, no matter what, just enjoy it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
enjoy your 1 mpg improvement, and enjoy all the extra dirt and crap that filter is gonna suck into your engine. Make $200 up at the gas pump....that's funny. And you won't get 2-3 hp out of it either, that I can guarantee. And before you get all defensive in what we are saying, like we don't know what we are talking about...... some of us HAVE had those on our cars......I have, and mine certainly did NOT gain any hp, I got 1 less km/liter in gas milege and it made the engine sound raspier. took it off and sold it on EBAY <---- LOL!

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Forget about checking the wiki. K&N actually underestimates the HP gains you get from the k&n fipk 57-1002. Friend of mine has it an said he's getting 20-25 hp increase at the wheels! It's a good buy! Go for it! Better?:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forget about checking the wiki. K&N actually underestimates the HP gains you get from the k&n fipk 57-1002. Friend of mine has it an said he's getting 20-25 hp increase at the wheels! It's a good buy! Go for it! Better?:)
damn bro your story changed a bit from earlier. i knew it cause my boy had the same thing fipk ? on his gmc truck and i drove it before and after and it ripped after he put it on. i think you feel the gain more than the horses tell you ya know what im sayin thanks i cant wait to install it im siked now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
enjoy your 1 mpg improvement, and enjoy all the extra dirt and crap that filter is gonna suck into your engine. Make $200 up at the gas pump....that's funny. And you won't get 2-3 hp out of it either, that I can guarantee. And before you get all defensive in what we are saying, like we don't know what we are talking about...... some of us HAVE had those on our cars......I have, and mine certainly did NOT gain any hp, I got 1 less km/liter in gas milege and it made the engine sound raspier. took it off and sold it on EBAY <---- LOL!
dude i bet it wasnt a k&n and its brand new in box so if i dont like it ill probly make money off it seeing as i paid 100 less than what they sell for in stores. you trying to get lippy over an internet forum? is beyond my comprehension. k&n has been in business for how long now...if they lied they would have been out of business a long time ago. relax bud read what pheonixreborn just wrote me. do you think he is lieing? idk man dont be such an appesimist.

·
Registered
243 Posts
LOL!

·
Registered
243 Posts
yes, his friend is lying....and yes it was a REAL K&N CAI I had......got it from LORDCO. Paid over $200 for it........ My buddy has one in his 4.6L SVT COBRA too....... won't bother telling you they aren't worth the money since you don't want to listen anyway. Your just upset cause you bought it before asking. 20-25 hp AT THE WHEELS from a CAI....now thats halarious! by the way....what's an appesimist?

·
Registered
103 Posts
did they also tell you that they use oil as a filtration medium which somehow coats and fouls your air flow sensors over time, and that the hp gain was calculated as a brand new K&N vs a USED OEM paper filter, and that it will only provide those gains if you clean and re-oil the filters every other month...which leads back to the 1st point.

anyhow, since you grabbed it as a bargain on ebay....enjoy ur new mod. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
damn bro your story changed a bit from earlier. i knew it cause my boy had the same thing fipk ? on his gmc truck and i drove it before and after and it ripped after he put it on. i think you feel the gain more than the horses tell you ya know what im sayin thanks i cant wait to install it im siked now.
They`re yankin` yer chain, Noob....you have`nt been around long enough to know that all these "Miracle Mods" that work great on Mustangs, Camaros, Hondas, etc. don`t do diddly squat on BMWs (I sh!t you not). There`s no such thing as a cheap, easy, performance increase for these cars....if there *was*, believe me, we`d ALL be doing it !

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you'd like, to go www.bobistheoilguy.com and check out what the oilheads there think of any of the K&N style air filters. After extensive testing, the only notable thing was that the K&N let more dirt through than the OEM AF. After that, it was pretty much a wash. Turns out that the factory air filter changed every 10k miles is pretty hard to beat. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.