Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I were in Kansas City this weekend visiting her brother. I am SO glad I don't live there . . .

The road suck (potholes everywhere), :thumbdwn:

Almost everyone does the speed limit or lower, :tsk:

I thought Wisconsin drivers were bad when it comes to riding in the "fast" lane, :confused:

and I don't think they know what a red light means! :yikes:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Can't be that bad

Ask the guys on the board that drive in the city of Wash., DC

Or just pull up a street map and take a look. With all the traffic circles and diagonal streets creating countless extra intersections, definitely one of the toughest cities to drive in.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
My vote for worst city to drive in/around still goes to Boston.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
How about NYC

I haven't driven in Boston or NYC, but I'll bet neither is a picnic :thumbdwn:

·
5,820 Posts
Re: How about NYC

scottn2retro said:
Boston sucks. Actually had fun driving in NYC at night, the stoplights are timed quite well and it's amazing how many can be hit just right. At least 25 years ago that is.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Can't be that bad

scottn2retro said:

Or just pull up a street map and take a look. With all the traffic circles and diagonal streets creating countless extra intersections, definitely one of the toughest cities to drive in.
I LIKE driving in DC. Everyone is always trying to get to their destination as quickly as absolutely possible and there is no speed enforcement whatsoever. Basic vehicular anarchy. What's not to love? I find it uniquely challenging (in a good way).

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
TD -

I've driven in DC (unfortunately not in a BMW) and if you enjoy the challenge, it's definitely a place to be in the cockpit of a spirited, safe and good handling machine. :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

scottn2retro said:
NYC is not that bad... :dunno: Ok, maybe I'm biased...

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Can't be that bad

TD said:

I LIKE driving in DC. Everyone is always trying to get to their destination as quickly as absolutely possible and there is no speed enforcement whatsoever. Basic vehicular anarchy. What's not to love? I find it uniquely challenging (in a good way).
That sounds like Houston too.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts

scottn2retro said:

Ahhh... Okay...

I LOVE DRIVING IN DC!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

For the most part it is a perfect grid and there are the diagonal AVENUES which are SHORT CUTS and multi-laned.

Also there are no slow drivers in DC to hold you up. Traffic laws are free for all, so it is kind of like the wild West, but you and get where you want to go as quickly as you dare. I think it is much better than most citys. Boston and NYC are almost as good, but in NYC the cops give out tickets, and in Boston the streets are not such a well planned grid.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts

scottn2retro said:

Traffic Circles = Public Access Skidpads

What's not to like? I'll tell you. Everything else.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I like driving in NYC as long as I'm driving someone else's car:)

Plaz is right about Boston, but I wonder if he is refering to pre or post "Big Dig" That tunnel project has turned a bad problem into a worse problem.

At least NYC has mostly striaght roads. Boston's street layout makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Re: Can't be that bad

clyde325xiT said:

Traffic Circles = Public Access Skidpads

Just like an African jungle, traffic circles rule in NJ is "survival of the fitest"

At least, they (DOT) is slowly getting rid of the circles in NJ:thumb: :thumb: (It is nice of the state to employe extra shovel holders:D )

·
Registered
6,836 Posts

Plaz said:
My vote for worst city to drive in/around still goes to Boston.
scottn2retro said:
Child's play I tell ya. :p Though I'm used to it.

Rules

1) The POS car beats all.
2) Don't mess with taxi cabs.
3) The fender ahead wins.
4) If bad weather the 90 mph crowd will run at 10 mph.
5) Rubbernecking is a past time, see rule 4.
6) Berms are your friend.
7) The supposed outside fastlane is the slowest.
8) Cut off unto others before they do to you (don't be a nice guy).
9) Look both ways before entering an intersection AFTER getting the green light.
10) Blocking of intersections is a past time, see rule 8.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts