BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm about ready to buy a new 325cic (sorry for so many posts recently)...and now I'm thinking should I get rid of my current car and cash in on about $5-6k or hang on to it for the winter? Tough decision. I want the new 325cic to stay as beautiful as long as possible, but then again my friend has a 2001 which sits out in the snow and through all weather, and still looks amazing. Hmmm... What's the story with these cars? How do they hold up to the winter? (I'll be moving to the northeast very shortly):dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
IMHO, it's better to drive a car then let it sit. Life is too short. I plan on driving mine all winter. :thumbup:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I agree with ObD ( I hate to do it but what the h*ll ;) )

If you buy a car, drive it and enjoy it. It's not a precious thing that needs to be kept out of trouble . . . plus after driving the Bimmer, you'll never want to drive your old car again :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 1990 Camry that posed the same dilemma. I wound up keeping it. I use it strictly on bad weather days, and it comes in handy when I have to park in slightly risky locations such as shopping malls and certain neighborhoods. It also saves me from having to wash my 'good' car as often, particularly with the current water restrictions in NJ.

The insurance isn't much and keeping my old car was worth it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm also in the keep the beater school of thought. I would also depend on what the beater is. The perfect beater would be something like an old Subaru 4wd wagon, a veheical that does well in snow, can haul lots of stuff, and is cheap to insure and maintain.

·
Registered
196 Posts
egruber said:
I have a 1990 Camry that posed the same dilemma. I wound up keeping it. I use it strictly on bad weather days, and it comes in handy when I have to park in slightly risky locations such as shopping malls and certain neighborhoods. It also saves me from having to wash my 'good' car as often, particularly with the current water restrictions in NJ.

The insurance isn't much and keeping my old car was worth it.
I have a 96 Civic, and agree totally.

Go out drinking, leave the car on the street, forget where it is, no problem!

Winter tires for said Civic... $400 CDN installed... for 330Ci... minimum $1800 with crappy rims, $3000+ for anything decent. Big plus.

Having driven my BMW in summer/spring/fall only I have noticed that the VAST majority of damage that happens to the car (stone chips, etc) seem to occur in the winter. My 330Ci is like new. My Civic was looking a bit rough after two winters. Especially the paint.

Having said all this, driving the 3er with winter tires makes it a very competent winter vehicle.

My $0.02.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
Kept my beater, a 95 Nissan Hardbody.
I've moved it several times but haven't even taken
it around the block since I brought the 3er home.

I do get a cut on the insurance since the 3er is listed
as a "2nd vehicle."
:thumbup:

Either way, the garage is for motorcycles - not cars!

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Another thing to consider is this: These cars are German and as you know they deal with winters over there. I don't think it will be a problem. If you have to deal with a lot of salt on the roads just try to keep it as clean as you can - weather permitting. As with some of the other posts I have a '90 Integra I drive to places where I won't park my BMW, namely the airport. If you can swing it keep the old ride to drive when you don't want to expose the BMW adverse conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts