BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and looks like the verdict here is to not buy extended warranty as after mine runs out this year . Car(335xi) has 27k miles after 3 years and only has its injector , fuel pump replaced .

I am not sure how well will this car hold up upto 100k or I am better off trading it in . As I read that it cna get quite expensive to fix these cars :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
My personal belief is that you take the money you would spend on the extended warranty and tuck it into a car repair savings account that you use if necessary. If you're buying your car (which you probably are if your concerned about extended warranties), your payment will drop away and you have cash each month to tuck away for repairs.

But all insurance is like a form of gambling really ... you are betting something bad will happen to you (car breakdown, accident, death ,etc.) and the insurance company says, we don't think so. So each persons comfort level with the risk can be different.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
I searched and looks like the verdict here is to not buy extended warranty as after mine runs out this year . Car(335xi) has 27k miles after 3 years and only has its injector , fuel pump replaced .

I am not sure how well will this car hold up upto 100k or I am better off trading it in . As I read that it cna get quite expensive to fix these cars :)
Warranty might be worth it, maintenance isn't.

IME with BMWs, not much goes wrong after the initial warranty period. But our newer cars have a lot of electronics that are way expensive to fix. Problem is that many extended warranties don't cover many problems - read carefully.

Note that in the past, there has been a lot of maintenance things to do at 100K (cooling systems, suspension, etc.)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping that nothing major goes wrong after the initial warranty period . Going through fuel injectors, pump has got me worried as whats next with this car.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I am hoping that nothing major goes wrong after the initial warranty period . Going through fuel injectors, pump has got me worried as whats next with this car.
These two items are well known problems and BMW has extended the warranty period for them.

My feeling is this: If you can comfortably afford to pay for a sizable repair (say $2K - $3K) then forgo the warranty. If not then go with the warranty (as mentioned above read carefully to ensure it is comprehensive enough). Not saying you will have a sizable repair but if you cannot comfortably afford it then you need a warranty.

Also having a good independent mechanic helps. While I can afford dealer rates I have a great indy who has saved me a lot of money.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Just keep your fluids changed on a timely basis and keep up with interval maintenance and you should be OK.

I'm thinking the same about extended warranty plans. They have added many more exclusions in the past several years which now make them not as worthwhile. Plus, the high cost of these plans now make their value questionable at best.

I'm keeping my eye open for an independent shop to handle my service needs once the warranty ends on a number of my cars. These cars cost so much money now, that IMO, it pays to hang onto them 7-10 years.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah I am going through the different warranty plans Gold, Platinum and see what they cover. And the plans do cost a lot. As for my maintenance my major one will be at 45k and next one at 60k.

·
Doing the best I can
1,123 Posts
I bought the BMW extended warranty when I bought my car. Then I got the policy and read it and it had so many exclusions I decided it wasn't worth the cost. So cancelled it within the allowed time period and got my money back. Plus, I have had extended warranties on several cars and repairs never paid back the cost, except once and that was barely. So since I don't have it on this one, almost assuredly I will have a repair that will exceed the cost of the warranty. Isn't that the way it works?:banghead:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Extended warranties seem to be a great deal for the companies that issue them. As was mentioned, there are many exclusions in the contracts. It's tough to collect.

My advice is to start a savings account and build it up as a war chest to pay for out of warranty repairs as they come along.

I do not believe that purchasing an extended warranty on a vehicle is a wise investment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am considering the BMW extended warranty as well but won't buy for another year or two. With regard to buying car extended warranties in general, we bought one for our '02 Honda Odyssey and it paid for itself 3x over...of course Honda Care warranties are 1/4 the price. We bought a new 2011 Odyssey last week and purchased an 8 year/100k mile Honda Care warranty for $1375. I could have gotten it $100 or so cheaper but bought it through the dealer instead of going online. I'm leaning towards taking the $4k (BMW EW price today) and putting it away instead and using to pay an indy mechanic for repairs as the 328i xdrive seems pretty reliable.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will say it all depends . I dont know what problems will the car will have after its warranty expires and not having to having major problems (electric or engine failure). Does anyone has their 3 series and how did it hold well after the warranty got expired.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
The price differences for extended car warranties vary tremendously among the brands. When we bought my wife's new Outback in February, we were offered a 2 year / 50,000 mile warranty extension (to 7 years / 100,000 miles) for something like $700. I'd certainly take one for the BMW at that price.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Extended warranty for bmw for 2 years/100k miles costs anywhere from $3800 to $4100 depending on the dealer and thats for the platinum coverage.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It depends on the mileage too. A BMW with 35K miles is a far cheaper warranty than a BMW with 60K miles on it.

It also depends how much you drive, if its over 15K a year, then a warranty makes more sense, under 10K a year, maybe not needed.

That said, I bought a 335i pre owned 1 owner with 50K miles, and it now has 63K in 12 months. I contemplated the extended warranty at the time offered was $2200, now its $3100. I have had no issues with the car at all, the only service has been a 60K check for $299 at dealer, in Oct 2010. I dont drive a lot in the winter here in Chicago, my car is strictly for pleasure and fun, and I drive it very spirited to say least, with a 6MT and sport suspension its a blast. Though I do use car for work once to two times week, so i can deduct expenses on the car.

I found a good Indy shop in suburbs, VS Motorsports, and just had all the fluids changed, and an alignment after a rough pot hole strewn winter here.

For $500 vs the dealer $1400-
Oil/Filter
Coolant Flush
Brake Flush
Transmission/Differential fluids changed
4 wheel alignment

I need a new Bushing up front, typical issue in these cars with high mileage, cost for set of 2 is $300 installed.

As long as my turbos/wastegates dont blow out, I feel comfy with no warranty actually. When I did my homework on the warranties, its a minefield of complaints and issues to consider, from insolvent companies to claims not being paid for a host of minor issues.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
It depends on the mileage too. A BMW with 35K miles is a far cheaper warranty than a BMW with 60K miles on it.

It also depends how much you drive, if its over 15K a year, then a warranty makes more sense, under 10K a year, maybe not needed.

That said, I bought a 335i pre owned 1 owner with 50K miles, and it now has 63K in 12 months. I contemplated the extended warranty at the time offered was $2200, now its $3100. I have had no issues with the car at all, the only service has been a 60K check for $299 at dealer, in Oct 2010. I dont drive a lot in the winter here in Chicago, my car is strictly for pleasure and fun, and I drive it very spirited to say least, with a 6MT and sport suspension its a blast. Though I do use car for work once to two times week, so i can deduct expenses on the car.

I found a good Indy shop in suburbs, VS Motorsports, and just had all the fluids changed, and an alignment after a rough pot hole strewn winter here.

For $500 vs the dealer $1400-
Oil/Filter
Coolant Flush
Brake Flush
Transmission/Differential fluids changed
4 wheel alignment

I need a new Bushing up front, typical issue in these cars with high mileage, cost for set of 2 is $300 installed.

As long as my turbos/wastegates dont blow out, I feel comfy with no warranty actually. When I did my homework on the warranties, its a minefield of complaints and issues to consider, from insolvent companies to claims not being paid for a host of minor issues.
Since you have a 2007, you are starting to enter the mileage where Vanos Solenoids become an issue - you might check with your shop to check for the cost of R&R of the Intake and Exhaust Solenoid, just to get an idea. Don't know if you have had the recall check with the injectors, but it looks like ~70-80K miles is the most I can get out of a set before replacement.

Since you are thinking about replacing the control arm bushings (BMW speak: lower tension struts) you might consider dropping in the M3 arms. It is plug and play, and it "wakes" up the steering response. But then again, that is personal preference, (i.e. I am almost fanatical about steering feedback) and you may not want to go that direction since I notice you are trying to tone down road impacts, slow down steering response, and increase the comfort level with having Hankooks V12s.

Your turbo/wastegates should be fine depending on how long you keep the car. Obviously, they will eventually need replacement, but you should have plenty of mileage/years left.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The price differences for extended car warranties vary tremendously among the brands. When we bought my wife's new Outback in February, we were offered a 2 year / 50,000 mile warranty extension (to 7 years / 100,000 miles) for something like $700. I'd certainly take one for the BMW at that price.
subaru is able to sell it that low because the likelyhood of you using the warranty is slim.

anybody who has owned an e46 knows that if BMW is going to make a profit, they have to charge substantially more because the likelyhood of you claiming on the warranty is pretty high. im not confident the e9x is going to be any more reliable than the previous generation of 3's.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only have 26k miles and the car already had fuel injectors and fuel pump replaced. I bought the car so it worries me that if turbos goes bad then I am out of luck..
If BMW knows that their cars will go bad after their initial warranty why they dont make reliable cars instead of ultimate driving machine which is no good with bad fuel pump..

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
subaru is able to sell it that low because the likelyhood of you using the warranty is slim.

anybody who has owned an e46 knows that if BMW is going to make a profit, they have to charge substantially more because the likelyhood of you claiming on the warranty is pretty high. im not confident the e9x is going to be any more reliable than the previous generation of 3's.
More likely that BMW is just plain greedy by charging so much for their extended warranty programs. When we bought our '08 535xi, the tire/wheel warranty was under $600. BMW did not offer their own, and they had contracted with a third party insurer. Once they saw how popular the product was, they started offering their own and the price more than doubled. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I only have 26k miles and the car already had fuel injectors and fuel pump replaced. I bought the car so it worries me that if turbos goes bad then I am out of luck..
If BMW knows that their cars will go bad after their initial warranty why they dont make reliable cars instead of ultimate driving machine which is no good with bad fuel pump..
did you think you could have your cake and eat it too?

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you buy the extended warranty you can make virtually no mods to the vehicle without voiding the warranty. Can't even change the tire size.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts