BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all seem very good at keeping your cars looking immaculate. I could use some pointers...

I've had my car for 5 days, and yesterday was the first hard rain. Once the car dried, I noticed collections of white residue in may of the lines and creases. It wipes right off the paint, but is practically sticking to the black plastic lining on both bumpers. I'm guessing it is wax from the dealership when they gave it a final detail.

So what's the easiest way to get this stuff off, and what cleaning products should I invest in (without spending an arm and a leg)?

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Check out the detail forum on this board. They should be able to help. Personally, I use Blitz wax, the Absorber, 100% cotton towels and P21S shampoo for my 330i.

Carecareonline.com is also a great resource and carries pretty much any product you will need.

Bob

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about that... an entire detailing forum! Thanks!:)

I'll fish through that. Meanwhile, any quick suggestions for getting the stain off the trim?

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's true!

"Avoid getting wax or polish on rubber and flat black plastic areas (clean them with a nongloss product), door handles and emblems. If you do get a wax stain on rubber trim, spray it with a mist-and-wipe product and wipe it down with a terry cloth towel. If that doesn't do the trick, this usually works: Microwave some peanut butter and apply it to the stain with a soft toothbrush. Peanut butter's oils dissolve the wax and it's abrasive enough to lift the stain (but it can stick to the roof of your car). "

from http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1998/9/car_detailing/index2.phtml

Shouldn't I complain to my dealership though?...

·
5,820 Posts
asb2002 said:

Shouldn't I complain to my dealership though?...
If you like torturing yourself. Why waste your time when you can easily remedy the situation yourself. My bet is they don't give a rip anyway or you wouldn't have received the car with the problem.

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for some reason (probably because they're not ALL bad) they are eager to remedy the situation. So I'm swinging by in the morning for them to fix it.

I WILL let them have it once I'm there. If this were a normal occurence, then every new owner would come complaining to them whenever it rains.

·
5,820 Posts
asb2002 said:
Well, for some reason (probably because they're not ALL bad) they are eager to remedy the situation. So I'm swinging by in the morning for them to fix it.

I WILL let them have it once I'm there. If this were a normal occurence, then every new owner would come complaining to them whenever it rains.
I suppose I shouldn't have been so negative. Let us know how it turns out.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
asb2002 said:

You're better off doing it yourself. The only thing you have to gain by taking it to the dealer is a lot of micro-swirls if they wash and dry it for you.

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outcome...

Ok, so they were super nice to me this morning and took care of it. My saleswoman even let me ride down with her to the detailing garage so I could talk to the guy. Then she led me to an empty desk so I could do work on my laptop while I waited.

The detailing guy explained that whoever waxed the car did not protect the trim. So the trim already had wax on it, and the white residue appeared once it rained. He showed me his mysterious industrial strength solution can, and 30 minutes later I was outa there.:thumb:

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Outcome...

asb2002 said:
Ok, so they were super nice to me this morning and took care of it. My saleswoman even let me ride down with her to the detailing garage so I could talk to the guy. Then she led me to an empty desk so I could do work on my laptop while I waited.

The detailing guy explained that whoever waxed the car did not protect the trim. So the trim already had wax on it, and the white residue appeared once it rained. He showed me his mysterious industrial strength solution can, and 30 minutes later I was outa there.:thumb:
sounds like an OK place.:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts