BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 97 540 at an auction. I was given a key but not a remote control key. First question, I replaced the battery now the alarm activates when I reconnect the new battery. Second question, is there any place to acquire a remote key other than at the dealer? Third question the driver window is balky, will not go down. Likely problem and solution. Fourth question, the windshield wiper does not work when I activate the control. How can I track down the problem - switch or motor. It worked temporarily then stopped. Thanks!

· Registered
15,976 Posts
You must have the Valet key. The only place to get master keys is from the dealer. The car originally came with 4 keys: two masters with remote, a Valet key (gray plastic handle), and a plastic emergency key.

While there, order an owner's manual.

The alarm activating may be a result of the car having been stolen. Did it sound off before you replaced the battery?

The windows are operated via cables. You'll have to open the door panel to see what's going on. Disconnect the battery before you disconnect the air bag in the door.

W/S wiper relay may be bad.

You need to buy the Bentley's manual if you expect to work on this car. It is NOT a simple car to work on.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bm...BMW-5-Series-E39-1997-2002-Repair-Manual.html

On Amazon.com, too, at a lower price.

· Registered
13,613 Posts
my key open my car (manualy) starts the engine but does not lock and onlock the car what's up .......?
It depends...we don't know which key you have. Do you have the key with 3 buttons on it...you could have the illuminated key (which has no remote features).

Have you followed the reinitializing instructions that have been posted? If not...you MUST follow EVERY step to the detail. You can't skip or fudge a step. Start with initiating the door locks (using the central locking button on the center console)...then proceed from there...making sure the DOORS ARE CLOSED:

If your key looks like the one on the left in the image below...then you can't unlock the doors because you only have the illuminated key...NOT the remote key:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.